1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

football thread No11

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by Carras Dad, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Takhisis

Takhisis Jinping, wer fragt uns?

Well, yes, the 2018 débâcle was caused in part by the players revolting against Bauza during the qualifiers and then against Sampaoli during the World Cup itself.

And in 2014 in the match against Bosnia-Herzegovina they threatened to revolt if Sabella kept being so defensive.

Every domestic competition in Argentina in the last… 30? years or more has had fixing of one sort at one or both ends at the table. Trophies, cup qualification, relegation, promotion… you name it, every single year there is a scandal. It's no wonder the players trained since then, looking up to handballer Maradona (a tremendous waste of talent if I ever saw one) are so prone to slouching and cheating and so on. It's just sad.

2. Serutan

Serutan Eatibus Anythingibus

So Man City have gotten a 2 year ban from Champions/Europa league. They are of course appealing the "kangaroo court" ruling. Were I a betting man, I would say it gets reduced to 1 year.

Hrothbern likes this.
  3. Arwon

Arwon

So anyway it sounds like in a couple of hours Australia is about to get dudded out of hosting a world cup by another substantially worse bid again

(The English FIFA Council rep refusing to even take a call from Jacinda Ardern is a really bad sign that the fix is in)

4. Arwon

Arwon

WE GOT CUUUUP

5. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Deity

About time :thumbsup:

Is that now compensation for losing the FIFA 2010 world cup bid (because of briberies of other countries) ?

Or a more "sophistcated" approach this time ?

6. Arwon

Arwon

Nah it was 2022 we lost.

To Qatar.

Lol the English guy did vote for Colombia 20200626_020723.jpg

Looks like the Europeans block voted for the much worse bid but the Africans and North Americans voted with us. I think if CONCACAF had gone the other way we'd have lost.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
  7. Arwon

Arwon

The bids were substantially differently rated

20200626_003838.jpg 20200626_003841.jpg

Hrothbern likes this.
  8. Arwon

Arwon

Also this is the first world cup hosted across two confederations!

9. JohannaK

JohannaK Heroically Clueless

Congrats! Meanwhile in the regular season league, Madrid might win La Liga over Barça on goal average, with the help of some disputable VAR decisions and, honestly, lackluster Barça performances.

10. Takhisis

I thought La Liga was still decided on the head-to-head record?

Anyway, the world is doomed. Liverpool F.C. has won a league title.

11. Josu

Josu King

Some Barcelona fans complaining about referees and VAR, that's the real "El Clasico".

12. Snerk

Snerk Smeghead

About flippin time! :trophy::banana:[party]:beer:

13. Serutan

Serutan Eatibus Anythingibus

Congrats to the Reds - they deserved it especially for the way they laid waste to the league this year.

14. Grendeldef

Grendeldef Trancerelic

Yes, the proper order has been restored. And apart from normal celebratory procedures like whisky & junk food I bought a team jersey which isn't that odd but since I couldn't decide the who's it shall be I compromised and bought a Wolves one instead - Traore's. His entertainment value is huge and I can fairly safely say that there won't be another Spaniard worth a jersey in next 30 years or so. Even better if he decides to play for Mali after all.

15. Takhisis

Vitun perk- GRENDELDEF! [party]

16. Grendeldef

Grendeldef Trancerelic

Lovely hello to you, too :)

As a slightly closer link to the Reds and as a sort of supportive measure, too I picked up Tranmere home & away jerseys. Now I need to find suitable letters & put Aldridge on the latter. Just thinking of it & I feel 25 years younger so clearly football has therapeutic value,

17. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

I know nobody thinks Canadians can play football, but football fans in this country are excited about our new league. We're just getting started - here's the top 10 goals from the very first season

It's crappy the 2nd season is basically cancelled, but I think the future of the sport in this country is bright

18. Takhisis

You're still on for a third one? Great.
    Don't get injured trying to paly as if you were 25 years younger though. :)

19. Grendeldef

Grendeldef Trancerelic

Oh, I don't play anymore - haven't in roughly 25y since my knee decided not to renew its contract so occasionally kicking ball with kids probably won't get me in trouble.

I also should've bought a new Liverpool jersey a week or so ago as yesterday they were already sold out though based on Wolves' performance after I got their shirt I might gladly leave the purchase for later date. The happy part of the weekend was the Southampton - City game.
    Locally the late start of national league is more of a conversation topic than in ages but the realist in me thinks that we need a few more rounds to put up a collection like that of Warpus. The cynic in me is questioning the quality of goalies in Canada but still the #1 question here is where will Pukki play next season as Norwich will be going down.

20. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

The players are training now and are supposed to play in some sort of tournament. It should in theory be a lot easier to set something like this up in Canada (than in the U.S.), so it shouldn't be a joke like MLSreturns.. but I have no idea what their plans are.

The owners/investors have accepted to lose money in this venture for the first several years.. It's at least a 10 year project for them.. So this 2nd season shutdown is very unexpected obviously, but they were going to be losing money anyhow. Our league is safe (for now)

Rightfully so, it's a brand new league with a relatively low salary cap ($850k CAD a year for the full roster or so), meaning that it's not possible to attract world class players, Canadian or not. So a lot of the players in the league are local Canadian players who needed a place to play, a bunch of Canadians returned from overseas leagues in Europe and elsewhere to join the project, and there's lots of young Canadian blood in there.. but these players are not making a lot of money. The best Canadian keepers we have play in other leagues in Europe and MLS. Same goes for our top players really, whether they're strikers or goalies. So even if we had world class Canadian goalies, none of them would be playing in this league (yet), unless one of them decided to accept a huge pay cut.. Clubs are scouting far less profile players because that probably wouldn't happen, so you might as well focus your scouting on more realistic targets.

There's your fair share of international players in the league as well, we attracted some talent from other regions of CONCACAF.. players looking to make an impact in another league and use that as a springboard for their careers - it's a lot easier to be noticed playing in Canada than in Costa Rica or whatever, at least in terms of MLS scouts, which is where a lot of these players wouldn't mind ending up. Europe is an even better destination, but MLS is now in some ways a stepping stone for that. And so the new Canadian Premier League acts as a stepping stone towards that dream as well.. But we do have strict international player rules in the league, it's meant to be a league that develops Canadian players first and foremost. So international spots are scarce, and even though they do exist, you won't find any names you recognize if you look at the internationals playing in the CPL.. except for maybe Emilio Estevez and Elton John, who happened to have coincidentally famous sounding names.. but they have since moved on to other leagues I believe.

So yeah, the quality in the league is far lower than what you see in top European leagues and lower than MLS quality of play. We expected that, so it wasn't a surprise, but the quality of play actually surprised most people who were following the project (when we finally kicked off last April). A lot of people thought the brand new clubs would have problems finding players. i.e. where the hell do you find 20+ players for 7 clubs? That's 140 players, give or take, and most of them have to be Canadian. So it seemed like the first year was going to be a crapshoot, but right out of the gate these players came out on the pitch with something to prove.. and yeah, the clubs had no problem filling their rosters, except maybe Halifax a bit.. They are the only Atlantic club right now, and don't have as many youth clubs out there as the other clubs in the league.

Turns out Canada has a pretty decent amateur and semi-pro football setup here. We did not have a professional top-flight league to write about, but our football pyramid for amateur youth players, while a bit chaotic.... Turns out we've been doing something right, since the upgrade to pro wasn't a huge step up for most of our players. A column I read on the subject about a year ago made a case that amateur soccer in this country is at a very high standard. In Canada soccer/football is the #1 participation sport and if you drive around my city for instance, you'll see random football pitches here and there. In the summer a lot of kids play. Our problem was that we just never had anywhere for these kids to play after college. So they'd play as kids, play in high school, then university varsity teams.. and the best of the best might end up at an MLS academy or something, but we only have 3 of those in the country.. (A giant country).. So most kids who had dreams of becoming football stars just ended up going with another career choice. There's always the option of moving to Europe and trying out with some club there, but most families aren't willing to relocate.. So most of our prospects never ended up anywhere.

Until now! Now these kids will have local clubs to play for, and can then play there until their mid 20s or whatever, and if they are good enough they will be discovered and signed by an MLS club or maybe even some club in Europe. CPL -> Europe transfers have already happened. We've had some major players invest in this league (Mediapro, Volkswagen, etc.) so we're sort of on people's radars. Atletico Madrid is funding a CPL club in Ottawa as well, that is one of the exciting things we were looking forward to this season.. And Davies kicking butt in Europe at such a high level has also made scouts in Europe think to look at some other Canadians maybe..

Sorry that this turned into such a wall of text, but this league is very exciting for us here. We feel that we have a treasure trove of potential football talent in this country, and this league is filling in the last gap of our developmental pathway - to give players in the 18-25 year range a place to play and develop further. USL (league below MLS) is too low of quality for a lot of players, so once they are done developing to that standard.. they often have problems because they aren't as good yet to crack the starting 11 of a MLS side. These players often rot away on benches.. but now they have a place to play and develop further. I am now going to save this before it turns into a novel.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020