1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

football thread No11

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by Carras Dad, Feb 26, 2013.

1. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Do you mean in terms of Atletico buying a CPL club in Ottawa? It's doubtful that's why they're doing it, unless they're thinking very long term (i.e. decades). No Atletico players will come via their CPL club for quite a while. The salary cap in our league is just so low that any youngsters who are good enough to eventually crack into the Altetico Madrid starting 11 would not be able to play in Ottawa.. maybe just at first? If their skills were there, they would end up moving somewhere else before ever arriving at Altletico though, so Ottawa wouldn't make a very good feeder club,unless it was feeding right into their academy I suppose.. and that seems unlikely as well.

They are trying to do the same thing Man City has been doing - spreading their brand. Atletico bought a club in India for the same reason (but have since sold it)

2. west india man

west india man Immortal

3. Adrain

Adrain Chieftain

I'm a big Spurs fan myself - but that was Baaaad!

Great result today, but perhaps we should forget about the video.

4. Takhisis

Takhisis Free Hong Kong

For @Arwon: The A-League returneth.
    For @Grendeldef: Liverpool's 30-year journey to the league title.
    I didn't know about the Indian club.
    They might be thinking long-term. Publicity, a dedicated overseas TV following, and they might get themselves their own little personalised market. It makes sense.

5. Arwon

Arwon

I'm honestly not sure why the soccer here took so much longer to come back than other sports

6. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

It was Atletico de Kolkata. They've since rebranded, but their new branding is sort of close to the original

They are just trying to spread the Atletico brand, so people end up giving them more money. That's a very simplified summary of their motivations, and there might be more to it too, but I bet that it's basically it.

7. JohannaK

JohannaK Heroically Clueless

Apparently Atlético sold their shares to one of the Indian co-owners.