1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

football thread No11

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by Carras Dad, Feb 26, 2013.

1. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Do you mean in terms of Atletico buying a CPL club in Ottawa? It's doubtful that's why they're doing it, unless they're thinking very long term (i.e. decades). No Atletico players will come via their CPL club for quite a while. The salary cap in our league is just so low that any youngsters who are good enough to eventually crack into the Altetico Madrid starting 11 would not be able to play in Ottawa.. maybe just at first? If their skills were there, they would end up moving somewhere else before ever arriving at Altletico though, so Ottawa wouldn't make a very good feeder club,unless it was feeding right into their academy I suppose.. and that seems unlikely as well.

They are trying to do the same thing Man City has been doing - spreading their brand. Atletico bought a club in India for the same reason (but have since sold it)

2. west india man

west india man Immortal

3. Adrain

Adrain Chieftain

I'm a big Spurs fan myself - but that was Baaaad!

Great result today, but perhaps we should forget about the video.

4. Takhisis

Takhisis Jinping, wer fragt uns?

For @Arwon: The A-League returneth.
    For @Grendeldef: Liverpool's 30-year journey to the league title.
    I didn't know about the Indian club.
    They might be thinking long-term. Publicity, a dedicated overseas TV following, and they might get themselves their own little personalised market. It makes sense.

5. Arwon

Arwon

I'm honestly not sure why the soccer here took so much longer to come back than other sports

6. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

It was Atletico de Kolkata. They've since rebranded, but their new branding is sort of close to the original

They are just trying to spread the Atletico brand, so people end up giving them more money. That's a very simplified summary of their motivations, and there might be more to it too, but I bet that it's basically it.

7. JohannaK

JohannaK Ghost of Christmas Past

Apparently Atlético sold their shares to one of the Indian co-owners.

warpus likes this.
  8. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

The Canadian Premier League is back! After 10 months of not playing a competitive match the players have returned and are playing a tournament in the smallest Canadian province - Prince Edward Island. The tournament is being dubbed The Island Games. Atlantic Canada is doing very well wrt Covid and essentially have their own bubble set up out there. This tournament is basically being played in a bubble in that bubble. I don't think there are any active covid cases on the island right now at all, so to set up a bubble inside of that seems very safe for the players. I think they are being tested every day as well.

Anyhow, the first match was last night. Wasn't sure what to expect since the players have not played in a long time. First couple games after a super long offseason are always a bit sketchy.. but they came out and put on an entertaining match. The goals were pretty nice overall, and that penalty at the end was actually a penalty under the new updated rules. Ball did touch arm

(I dont' know why it says August 1, that's clearly not correct. match was last night)

These were the top 2 clubs in the league last season, but since this is a new league both clubs have seen a decent amount of player movement. Cavalry have lost some good players and there's new guys in all position on both squads. Tough to say who has the strongest squad in the league now, I think it's going to be a bit more even this year (although there was plenty of parity last year too)

The next set of matches is on Saturday, which will be televised on CBC, our national broadcaster. And CHCH, which is a smaller broadcaster, but reaches many households as well. I hope they work out some of those CGI kinks. They weren't even going to have any matches when it's dark, but they figured out the logistics of setting up lights in time to give us a professional enough looking feed. Some of the CGI overlays still look funky, but they did fix that throughout the match, as I was watching. So Saturday's matches should look a bit better - although they will be played in the middle of the day, so no need for lights.

Those curious about the league can check out the level of play in this highlights video.. just keep in mind that all the players are still rusty after a 10 month break, and there's a bunch of new players still integrating with the squad.

9. Takhisis

Hum, the Champions League is back, too…

I hope this succeeds.

10. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

I used to be a hardcore Chelsea fan who watches every single match and follows all the competitions they are in intently.. These days I find myself still watching about 70% of their matches.. but.. I don't really follow the EPL and Champs league nearly as closely. I find myself being more interested in Canadian and North American football. After that, there isn't a lot of football energy to dedicate to European leagues.

I guess that's good, since you're supposed to support local football, but I guess.. I also feel more connected to it. I've been to matches and I've seen some of these players play. I've never been to a Chelsea match, unfortunately. It's still on my list of things to do one day.. Maybe if I do that I'll sort of re-connect with European football again. I still watch highlights of top goals every week, but I would suck at EPL fantasy football right now. I used to watch every single match and know all these obscure players and how often they start and so on...

That province now has 5 active cases if I'm reading these reports correctly. 5 essential workers from outside of Canada. So there might be more infected people in the province, we'll see over the next couple days if there's more cases. It seems to say there's only ever been 41 cases in the province ever. The tournament is about 5 weeks long, and they test everyone on a regular basis, so we'll see (but I think they'll be fine)

I don't know much about the bubble they've set up tbh, but here's a video from one of the players showing some of it off

Luckily the league is funded for 10 years at least (MediaPro contract is 10 years long), and most CPL owners are loaded.. so.. I think we'll survive the pandemic as a league, even though this is only the 2nd season. But then again, I am guessing

11. JohannaK

I can't believe it. This loss by 2-8 is unprecedented. We've known the team was going to the gutter for years and the president did nothing about it but get a big name for an unjustifiable price each year. Shameful, shameful display!

Everything needs to go.

12. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Was crazy watching a 19 year old Canadian dance through half of Barca and then casually set up a goal like it's no big deal

13. JohannaK

We deserved getting two goals from Coutinho. If thry had been decisive goals, it would have been terrible, but as is they are our just desserts.

14. AdrienIer

AdrienIer Deity

What the hell happened, 2 french clubs facing 2 german clubs in the seminfinals, so many upsets this year

15. Takhisis

It's Brexit, Ingerland is leaving its place to the French and Germans.
    I wanted to ask about that but my post got eaten. What are people saying about Alphonso Davies over in Canadian football circles?

AdrienIer likes this.
  16. Takhisis

More analysis on the upsets:
    Spaiñ's three stalwarts have taken three approaches.
    Barcelona expects wonders from Messi and whomever else they've placed up front with him. If they don't deliver they cannot defend. This was already evident in their 1-2 defeat at Arsenal in 2011, when Arsenal actually dared play attacking football. For some time they were devastating enough on the attack, but no more, especially without Neymar.
    Real Madrid relies on bribing the referee.
    Atlético Madrid relies more and more on negative football and letting the other team stumble.

England is in a bit of a decline but no so much.
    Manchester City seems to have a quarterfinal curse.
    Arsenal… let's leave it at that. They've bewitched the FA Cup and given an infant's blood in exchange for winning it the most times ever and never winning any other competition whatsoever.
    Manchester United are still reeling. Ferguson was the only thing keeping them together (does anybody remember the Unconvincibles?) in his last few years and after he left they still expect to win the Champions League every year.
    Chelsea…? wtf. Post-Mourinho stuff again, maybe?
    Liverpool, well, they just got expert stumblers Atlético Madrid and they really were focused on storming through the league, let's be honest. I expect they'll try to take the Cup by storm next year.

Italy is a Juventus-dominated charade. Juve don't have that much competition, really. Even Napoli managed to knock themselves out of the way after beating Juventus in Turin that fantastic night that seems so long ago.
    All the others are second-tier teams at this point.

The rest of the leagues, well, they just don't have the money to compete.

17. Takhisis

Messi - Ter Stegen - Lenglet - de Jong stay, everybody else is up for sale in Barcelona.

18. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Our minds are still sort of in the process of being blown with how fast he is continuing to develop. It's unreal watching his exploits, given his age and humble origins (refugee camp, etc.).

When he was a child growing up in Edmonton he made use of the Free Footie program, which gives inner-city elementary school students a chance to play soccer/football, even if they can't afford to pay for the gear or transportation. It's so crazy to think that this enormous talent could have been easily overlooked, if that program didn't exist. He was noticed there and eventually made his way to the Whitecaps, so who knows what he would be doing with himself if Free Footie didn't exist. Maybe just some random Canadian immigrant trying to make a life for himself and his family.

Here's an article shining the spotlight on the Free Footie program in Edmonton: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/alphonso-davies-soccer-tim-adams-free-footie-1.4962778

So yeah, we are basically in love with him and super happy he decided to represent Canada. We have a history of players representing other countries, but Davies sort of showed up at the right time. There are other exciting young Canadian players in the program like Jonathan David.. Davies says that he appreciated the way Canada took him and his family in and helped make his dreams possible.. We actually do have a half decent team right now, with more exciting youngins waiting in the wings, which probably made his decision easier. It's an exciting time for Canadian football, and each time Davies does something exciting for Bayern us football fans here perk up a bit.

To answer the question more directly, people are saying that they are excited for the future.. that Davies is proving that you come up through some random Edmonton soccer program and end up at the top of the world. Yeah, he's an exceptional case, and an exceptional talent, but we are a country of almost 40 million. With the Canadian Premier League giving Canadian youth a lot more opportunities to play professional football, and more football programs and infrastructure being created throughout the country.. we will be unearthing talent on an occasional basis. People think of us as as hockey country, and we are, but we do love football. Over 10% of the whole country (4.4 million people) tuned in to watch some part of the Toronto vs Montreal MLS playoff match-up back in 2016 It was a new TV audience record and it wasn't even a final. Over 1.4 million people watched the match in full. Crazy numbers when you compare them to the soccer numbers American TV usually gets. If Canada makes it to the world cup, expect the whole country to tune in. Our cities will go football mad, especially if we have a competitive team

Davies gives us hope and shows us what's possible. We hope to follow in his footsteps

Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
    Adrain likes this.
  19. JohannaK

Sad but necessary. Presumably Ansu Fati and Riqui Puig are not up for sale either but they're still technically B-team players I guess?

20. Takhisis

Excellent. Until recently the Canadian football team was considered more or less a sparring team. Maybe you could do as New Zealand did once upon a time and tie with mighty Italy. That would help the team get more recognition.
    I remember that last year you already mentioned how this team has seen strange eliminations from psychological punches.
    After its super-treble in 2015 the team dominated in Spain but started having very bad away games. 2-0 to Atlético Madrid in 2016, 0-3 to Juventus in 2017, and then the two awful instances of wasting three-goal leads against Roma in 2018 (4-1, 0-3) and Liverpool in 2019 (3-0, 0-4).

This weekend it was the same, and again against a super-team like Liverpool but without the threat of away goals keeping them in check. It's a sad progression for such a great team. They are talented, but the psychological factors and the group dynamics are too strong by now.

21. Josu

Josu King

I am not going to drop a single tear for those teams. However, let me say a word about Barcelona, they sacked a coach being leaders of La Liga, and hired a guy with the only argument of playing nice, a fisureless plan. Come on. Really? Play nice? Did they ever seen any Setien's team's match before hiring him? 90% possession 1 shot on target. I think that I have a different concept of playing nice