1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

football thread No11

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by Carras Dad, Feb 26, 2013.

1. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

I just read somewhere that it's the first time in 29 years that England, Italy & Spain have all been shut out of the semis.

2. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

It's been frustrating because we always have had hints of competitiveness. We won the Gold Cup in 2000, upsetting Mexico in the quarters and beating Colombia in the final. We've developed solid players like Dwayne DeRosario and Junior Hoilett, but they never had a solid enough supporting cast and a good enough defense to take our team to the next level. We've also had players like Owen Hargreaves decide to play for another country, which is understandable enough - players want to play at the highest level.. and there's always other reasons you don't hear about, like the family situation maybe. So I don't judge players for that - but it's happened a bunch of times and we are now always sort of wondering if that will happen with each promising young player. So when Davies announced he was going to be representing Canada, it was a great day.

I don't think we are after recognition, we are just focusing on being more competitive. The victories and recognition will come in time. And before we set our sights on Italy, we first want to mess up the plans of our southern neighbours, by beating them whenever we can. This rivalry with the U.S. is going to be huge. Right now they still eclipse us, but we beat them for the first time in a while recently.. They think of us as a small rival, their real rival is Mexico. We want to change that a bit and make it a more even rivalry, maybe even a 3-way rivalry on this continent. I don't think we'll ever catch up to Mexico's level tbh, but you gotta set your sights high. First the U.S., then Mexico, then the World.

3. Takhisis

Takhisis Jinping, wer fragt uns?

Barcelona actually had only 51% possession IIRC against Bayern Munich, which for them means they lost control of the game.
    But no, I for one don't remember seeing a single match by any of Setien's teams.
    The last time was in '91 when there could have been a Soviet-Yugoslavian final.
    Mexico already knocks them out of the WC by beating them in the US, so that might be something feasible. I like the small steps approach.

Was Davies in dispute with some other national team?

4. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Davies was born to Liberian parents in Ghana and was eligible to represent one of three countries before deciding on Canada.

So yeah, when Davies was playing for the Whitecaps as a 15 year old or whatever and already kicking a and taking names, that's when the talk here began about his future. He was a rising star, but who would he play for? You always worry about any such player here who is able to play for another country.. and he didn't even have his Canadian citizenship yet, although he had been in Canada since the age of 5.

Soccer Canada did well though, they worked with him to get his Canadian citizenship by 16, and Davies committed to Canada basically right after. The program got a new head coach/manager, John Herdman, he was in charge of our women for a while and did very well with them. He's sort of taking over and rebuilding the men's program, and so far doing very well, IMO. He's just so enthusiastic, I believe he had a bit to do with convincing some of these young players to commit to this program. The players seem to believe in what he's doing and that they can succeed, so I fully support him, even though this is his first bit of experience with the men's game. He's already beaten the U.S., which basically means that any criticism of him has already been dropped here (for now)

5. west india man

west india man Immortal

it's also only the second time ever

6. Josu

Josu King

They are a crappy copy of Guardiola's teams. If Guardiola is pass until you can shot, Setien is shot when you can not continue passing, plus a very poor defense.
    Once the match ended, bla bla bla, we have played nicer than the rival, because de have completed more passes, bla bla bla, referee, bla bla bla, the pitch was poorly mowed, etc

7. Takhisis

Bayern in! Bavaria v. Paris, WWI re-edited.
    Ah, yes, winning the derby is key to cementing support. Here a player called Pusineri had scored the equaliser in a championship-winning 1-1 draw in 2002 and got some resistance for not scoring in derbies until 2009.

It seems you have some intelligent planners behind the football project.
    There must have been a reason why they hired him, right?

Journalists here are speculating on how many coaches Messi has survived/ejected playing for Argentina and now that Abidal is out he's another victim of his. I don't know about that, but Messi sure does stay and everybody else leaves, while their eternal rivals lost Cristiano Ronaldo and they have now won the league.

warpus likes this.
  8. Josu

Josu King

There are 2 or 3 coaches in Spain that have an incredible good press. Media repeats once an again that they are good coaches, that they play "nice" and all what they need is a chance in a big team.
    Setien is one of them.

9. Serutan

Serutan Eatibus Anythingibus

Didn't some on the current roster play on those Guardiola teams?

10. Takhisis

‘The current roster’ is now a bit of a debatable thing. The high-profile ejections of Luis Suárez, Arturo Vidal et al. have triggered the exit of none other than Lionel Messi himself. Which triggers demonstrations. #firstworldproblems

In other news the Bayern Munchkins won the Champions League final with canned audience noise but it felt like a dénouement; the highest point of their perfect streak in this competition was their 8-2 against Barcelona.
    And there's this women's Champions League thing going on.

11. JohannaK

JohannaK Heroically Clueless

I don't know if it's specifically about this or about Bartomeu, who year after year has demonstrated his inability to manage a club like this one.

Bit of both, I think. I don't think Messi should be able to dictate policy but if this makes the current board go, it is good.

12. Takhisis

I specifically said ‘triggered’ precisely because of that. I think this has been a possibility for some time that has finally been realised.

13. Serutan

Serutan Eatibus Anythingibus

And for 2 years in a row we have Barca beaten in humiliating fashion by the eventual champs, and an anticlimactic final. I would say something about a pattern, but from the looks of things Barca will be gone long before they can humiliate themselves in the late going again.

14. Takhisis

Mmmmaybe.

On the Messi front, I have to say that the threatened to quit the Argentine national team and then came back. I wonder whether he'd come back if there was a change in club leadership. Of course, his detractors are saying that finally the dressing-room tyranny is over, which actually was a bit the case (and glossed over) here in Argentinistan.

15. Takhisis

Called it.

Adrain likes this.
  16. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

A heads up - the EPIC store is giving away FM2020 for free right now. You have a week to claim it I think

If you are married or in any sort of committed relationship I apologize in advance

17. Takhisis

18. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Yes, but we are all football fans here, but how many of us check that thread? This way more people's lives will be potentially ruined with this amazing game.

I did cross-post it there though, thanks!

JohannaK and Adrain like this.
  19. Takhisis

Dude, this is the website that outlasted CivAnon.org.

Adrain likes this.
  20. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

It's football manager, it's like crack, while civ is more like pot.