football thread No11

It seems indisputable that Spain does not finalize its play very efficiently.
Then again, Switzerland had a free advantage in the penalty shootout... but missed three in a row. It's not Sommer's fault he could not save their bacon.

Italien v. Spanien for der semifinale #1!

We hope they'll be fatigued because of the extra time, and count on Luis Enrique's tactical acumen.

SWI 0-3 SPA
BEL 1-0 ITA
CZE 2-0 DEN
UKR 0-3 ENG

Just my guess...
Just one to go at this point ;)

I started watching just 10 minutes before the end of main time.

Never seen a goal keeper as busy as that Swiss keeper.

I think he was mentally exhausted when it came to penalties
while the Spanish goalkeeper had rested during extra time.

Sommer was not tired, in fact I'd call it a good "practice" before the penalties. The Swiss lost because their players were too tired and knew a lot depended on them. It was a great performance still.

Regarding CZE - DEN, all I can say is what the FIFAck.

Beside the location which made it impossible to have more than few hundred spectators, referees were from Netherlands, and awfully skewed the match. First goal was after imagined corner, referee didn't give pauses for drinks that he was supposed to due to climate, didn't punish dangerous play that left two Czech players with bandaged heads, let some Danish fouls go unpunished while giving yellow card for simply asking why...

It was an even match otherwise.

So what are CFC's predictions?

Switzerland v Spain
Belgium v Italy
Czech Republic v Denmark
Ukraine v England

I predict victory for Spain, Italy, Denmark, and England.

Well I got four out of four predictions.

Next

Italy v Spain
England v Denmark

I predict Italy and England to win, with Italy winning the final.

I'd favour Spain, Italy, England and… strangely enough, the Czechs.
I got three out of four (Spain, Italy) and was right to waver between Czechs and Danes.

Right now I'm split because I don't see a clear winner in either duel, nor in the subsequent finals… is there going to be a 3rd-4th place match?

But anyway I must predict because I either gain bragging rights or laugh at my silly predictions.
Italy beat Spain, England beat Denmark.

I think whoever emerges from Italy-Spain will be the favourite in the finals. The Denmark-England bracket hasn't showcased great play, whereas I think matches in the other bracket were generally better.

Italy tonight. Their tiki-taka has no great soloists now, and their defense is vulnerable.

England tomorrow. They've grown through the tournament, and the Quarter looked like a Summer friendly.

It could just be that I am good at getting all but one predictions correct. Let's see whether Denmark-… wait, what the… did you just write, Edward?
:mad:
[pissed]

Notably there is no UK team competing in the Eurocup, let alone one to play the semis today.

In the absence of Northern Ireland and after the departure of Scotland and Wales, I regard England
as now representing the UK, British Commonwealth, English speaking world versus 2 continental teams.

Love the final score but what a ****** way to win (i.e. penalty shootout).

Eh, sometimes winning ugly is the only way.
For the defense: surprisingly, at the end of the first half we had scored more shots on goal than Spain did, which goes to confirm that Spain, even playing at their best as yesterday, creates occasions, holds the ball a lot, but has trouble converting it into goals. Let's recall that also their games with France and Switzerland ended with penalties, and in the group stage they tied with Sweden and Poland, only winning their match against Slovakia.
Of course we should have done more after scoring; instead, our midfield abandoned any offensive plan and just became an extension of the defense. Morata's goal was well-deserved, and it could have been followed by others. Thankfully, our goalie has a way with penalties and we got out of Wembley - this time, Sunday we'll see.

In the absence of Northern Ireland and after the departure of Scotland and Wales, I regard England
as now representing the UK, British Commonwealth, English speaking world versus 2 continental teams.
I guess I'm supposed to be surprised.

but I guess this is the most English outlook, in the worst sense of the word.

Top Bottom