football thread No11

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by Carras Dad, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Sofista

Sofista Deity

It's official. We can't win a game whenever it's not 100% decisive.

European champions, my foot. When the other team is OK with a draw (and NI came actually close to winning) we're the proverbial snowball in hell.

2. Takhisis

Takhisis Rum and coke.

In a couple of hours Argentina and Brazil are going to meet for the third time in a few weeks. I am half-convinced that Argentina's squad is playing these crappy games and eking out wins to then spring the trap and surprise the opposition by earning a win as they did against Brazil in the Copa América. Who knows? Sometimes they get carried away (4-1 against Bolivia, 3-0 against Uruguay) so later they play dumb.

:dunno:

warpus likes this.
  3. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Meanwhile in Canada #iceteka is trending and it looks like it's going to be a snowy -10C sort of matchup between Canada and Mexico, in about 3 hours. Expect 50,000+ fans, as Edmontonians are used to these sort of conditions and won't be fazed

Mexico are favourites but they lost their last match against the U.S. and their coach could get fired if they lose this. It will be tough for Canada, but it should be a fascinating battle, with hopefully no injuries

edit: CANADA WINS !@!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Nov 16, 2021
  4. Snerk

Snerk Smeghead

As usual, Norway failed in qualifying to a WC. Also as usual we were one result away from doing so.
    Didn't help that our only star player, Haaland, was out with an injury in most of the key games.

5. J-man

J-man Deity

I watched that game. I wish I hadn't because it was boring. The Norwegians made the mistake of going on the offense, that gave the Dutch team the room to score two goals. They should have sticked with the counter strategy.

6. Snerk

Snerk Smeghead

Yeah it was a really dull game, right? The counter strategy wasn't working either, the dutch played smartly and were more interested in controlling the game than committing players up the field. So we weren't producing any chances. And we needed the win so an offensive attempt towards the end was the only viable option.

With Haaland available we could have made something happen, he's not human he's just a goal machine. But with current available squad, we were simply outmatched for 90 mins.

7. Takhisis

Takhisis Rum and coke.

For the record, they did, and in a miserable 0-0 draw at home to Brazil. The two main referees (field and VAR) are already suspended after the inexplicable decision not to send Argentina's Otamendi off in the first half.
    Both of the refs are Uruguayans and are known for just as high- and heavy-handedly favouring Argentinian teams at the club level, but who's counting?

A Chilean referee, meanwhile, has been also suspended for a similar performance favouring Brazil against Colombia.

In other news, one of Maradona's victims is supposed to testify tomorrow. I still think the idol won't fall.

8. Aiken_Drumn

Aiken_Drumn Prince

Solskjær finally sacked! A sad day for all ABMU fans

9. Snerk

Snerk Smeghead

ABMU?
    Was inevitable with this season's results, but I'm sure he got more out of it than he initially expected. And the fans still love him.
    Wonder who'll replace him.

10. Takhisis

Takhisis Rum and coke.

Anyone but Manchester Urited.

Aiken_Drumn and Snerk like this.