1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

football thread No11

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by Carras Dad, Feb 26, 2013.

1. nocho

nocho Deity

So, when was the last time without any English squads in the Champions League quarter finals? :eek:

Arsenal nearly even made it in the end!

2. Takhisis

Takhisis brown-haired beauty

Málaga get to their best European competition campaign everrrrr.
    This seems so hilarious in hindsight.
    Ostras, la cançò de Crackòvia es bona cábala.
    I actually thought they could do it.

3. Takhisis

Hey I've just read that MIllwall got to the semifinals of the FA Cup away against Blackburn in the replay, Arsenal must be attempting suicide right now.

4. Mise

Mise isle of lucy

A lot of people were saying Arsenal played really well, but it was more that Bayern just didn't turn up that night. Bayern were awful. Arsenal defended well, pressed well and had a good shape, and Carl Jenkinson was fantastic (should be first choice IMO; Sagna's been poor this season). But really, we didn't play exceptionally well. Our passing was very hit and miss, we hardly created any chances, we lost the ball a lot and didn't win enough loose balls/air balls, and we didn't stretch Bayern all that much either (which is a shame because we have players like Cazorla and Arteta in the middle to make the passes, and Walcott and Giroud up front to take control of the ball, who can really stretch a team). We played "okay". It was just that Bayern were really, really bad last night. Awful. Shooting was poor, playmaking was poor, passing was poor, everything was poor. It wasn't so much that Arsenal deserved to win, but rather that Bayern deserved to lose.

2-0 was a fair result. Just needed a bit of extra luck and we'd have got through...

5. classical_hero

classical_hero In whom I trust

Arsenal won but they lost.

6. Gucumatz

Gucumatz JS, secretly Rod Serling

That was a disgusting game from Bayern. The players looked like they just didn't want to be there. I don't care that they had a 3 goal margin, they should never play that lethargic in a Champions League match no matter who they play against.

7. Quackers

Quackers The Frog

I think Arsenal played very well in their defense - I think that is a rare thing to say, I don't think i've said that since the start of the season. They seemed to struggle to find one another when making the transition from defense to attack - often losing the ball from Bayern's high pressing style but whenever they got that first pass out and got it to the flanks they caused some damage. I don't think Bayern were awful they had 21 shots, 9 on those on target, 55% of the ball and 6 corners in contrast to Arsenal (5, 3, 1) they were great but nowhere near their best (Although the only other time i've watched them was in the 1st leg and last year's final so my knowledge of a good bayern experiance is poor). Arsenal played with a heartening spirit, they could have capitulated but they proved they can play well in a very hostile atmosphere against a quality team and win. It bodes well for the rest of the season. Yet Arsenal have had these quality performances before and struggle to replicate it when it matters - they lack that consistency.
    I agree with you on Jenkinson for sure. Sagna hasn't been the same player since his broken leg. Jenkinson is a great athelete, big, strong and quick and he has a good technique and brain. For instance at one point he was on the right flank surrounded by two Bayern players and still managed to thread a pass to Rosicky or Cazorla straight to their feet - it was a very difficult thing to do but it allowed the ball to be recycled to the other side where there were fewer Bayern players. The alterative he might've spunked it trying to beat two Bayern players.

8. Takhisis

If Gervinho had somehow managed to tap that one in near the end it'd've been a total stunner. Once again, for the third time running, Arsenal are one goal away from doing it.

9. Mise

Mise isle of lucy

They had 21 attempts on goal and 9 on target - fine stats, but where were they shooting from? Inside the box it was mostly headers, outside the box they were spooning it over or skewing it wide. Fabianski had an outrageously easy time in goal. He was barely challenged.

Yeah I know which Jenkinson pass you're talking about, that was good play indeed.

10. Takhisis

Did anyone else feel as if Robben was -yet again- just trying to score himself or no one scoring at all?

11. Mise

Mise isle of lucy

I remember him shooting about 4 or 5 times, and I remember him passing exactly once... Would be interesting to compare his stats for that game with e.g. Walcott's or Cazorla's.

12. SamSniped

SamSniped DJ Goodboye

Did...
    Did Torres score?

13. JohannaK

JohannaK Careless Whisperer

Wait, what? IS THAT POSSIBLE??? :wow:

14. Mise

Mise isle of lucy

Anyone watch the Spuds - Inter match? Bloody exciting stuff! Spurs were awful, barely managed to win, but a good result for them.

15. Takhisis

They didn't manage to win, the away goals rule is getting quite ridiculous. The Guardian're right. Why should one goal be worth more than others? A team is actually punished by defining at home, because it gives the visitors 120 minutes to score a double-goal against 90 for them.

16. Mise

Mise isle of lucy

I think it makes games more exciting, but I agree it's not the most logical of tie-breakers....

17. Carras Dad

Carras Dad Prince

Málaga CF (ESP) - Borussia Dortmund (GER)

Real Madrid (ESP) - Galatasaray Istanbul (TUR)

Paris Saint-Germain (FRA) - FC Barcelona (ESP)

Bayern München (GER) - Juventus Turin (ITA)

18. JohannaK

JohannaK Careless Whisperer

Madrid - Galatasaray? Pfffffff

19. BirraImperial

BirraImperial Pura Vida!

Málaga CF (ESP) - Borussia Dortmund (GER)

Real Madrid (ESP) - Galatasaray Istanbul (TUR)

Paris Saint-Germain (FRA) - FC Barcelona (ESP)

Bayern München (GER) - Juventus Turin (ITA)

I think Bayern - Juve will go down to the wire...maybe penalties. The best crossing of the Quarterfinals indeed. Madrid as usual will suffer but will win, Málaga is tricky, but BVB is playing really well. Barça will find a way to go through and will take advantage of Ibrahimovic being suspended for the first leg.

20. Takhisis

It's a conspiracy by UNICEF and UEFA to make Real madrid lose against the heathens from the Ottoman Empire! Lepanto shall be avenged!