football thread No11

But UEFA says it's not a problem :)

And the managment of Steaua is already involved in lots of other corruption scandals, but this was the only part that had effects on the international level. I don't want to know what the Romanians do on this stuff on the national level...

In other news, it's likely that the Swiss Top Scorer of last season will not transfer to Kasimpasa in Istanbul, one of the clubs moving up into European Football due to the ruling, as Kasimpasa doesn't agree to show banking proof to the Swiss Club that it is able to pay the 3 Mio asked for the transfer. They say they're a honourable club and don't need to show proof. :crazyeye:

Turkish football's gonna implode like the Greek one did in 3, 2, 1...

(And last note, it's funny that a Greek Club in PAOK Saloniki will benefit the most from the ruling since they can take Fenehrbace's seeded spot in the 3rd qualifiying round for the Champions League)

Ancelotti is indeed the new RM coach.

I assume that the concentration of capital from league to league will eventually continue until only one league buys out players from everyone else's… England or Spain, probably. :(

Bernard shows why he is quality again. Better, cheaper, and less hyped than a certain someone. Will be a welcome sight to see him play in the Bundesliga next season

Well, as nobody has weighed in on last night's match i think i will.

Wow, first of all that was one of the best 0-0s i've seen. The quality of football on display was sumptuous. Spain didn't have their typical Python-hold around the game like they used too and it made for far, far better viewing. Italy were setup almost perfectly by Prandelli, it really was a tactical masterpiece and with a fit Balotelli I could see Italy winning it. Tactically, Italy were sound. A 3-5-2, an uncommon formation nowadays beyond Turin and Italy it really frustrated Spain's 4-3-3. First of all, it apeared the Italian midfielders Pirlo, De Rossi et al were instructed to play long diagonal passes into their wingbacks who made a forward run.

The Italian wingbacks were placed perfectly 10-20 yards behind their opposing wingers and 10-20 yards in front of their opposition fullbacks. It meant they had Space to run into and thats exactly what they did, Maggio and Candreva had iron lungs and whenever they got on the ball they took on their opposition fullback (who are defensively poor IMO Alba + Arbeloa). It created a lot of uncertainty for the Spanish wingers (should i track back?) and for the fullbacks (should i go to or let hime come onto me?). Anyway this meant a Spanish midfielder would have to move outwards to the wing to help out, stretching their midfield and encouraging a switch of play to the other flank by Italy. These lung bursting runs by both Italian wingbacks stretched Spain and their back four actually had to do some proper defending for once, it meant Italy created about three clear cut chances in the first half. It wouldn't be crazy to see Italy lead 2-0 by half time.

The Italian midfield worked so hard in that whole game. They double teamed Iniesta whenever he got the ball and they harried Spain whenever they got too deep in their own half. Spain had one clear cut chance by Torres in the first half, otherwise their defensive plan was perfect. In the second half the heat got too much for both sides and the tempo and number of sprints fell by both sides. Still, the passing by both teams was exceptional. A constant threat to Spain were Italian set pieces, Pirlo whipped in some delightful balls and was unlucky. Fast forward to Extra Time and Vincent Del Bosque earned his bread and proved his coaching talent. He put on Javi Martinez, the ultimate workhouse, as a forward. His relentless pressing placed a huge, unwelcome burden on the exhausted Italian backline and they struggled to play it out from the back. For the last 30 minutes Spain regained their territorial advantage and could have scored and won. Furthermore, Jesus Navas came on in the 2nd half and roasted the Italian defense at will. VDB seems to love Navas.

Anyway, I think teams may now know how to beat Spain now:p

Sure, but that way of playing didn't stop the numerous Spanish scoring possibilities. Short before the end, the ratio was 13:13, right? So I'd say it's still a risky strategy to pull off, and the smaller countries will continue to play like Switzerland did in 2010 who was the last nation to be able to defeat Spain btw., very defensively with a lucky strike...

What I take more away from that game yesterday is that the Brazilian heat/dampness may be the death sentence of any strategy that's too physical, the Italians weren't able to do much by the end (and I tbh only watched the second half and on). To be fair, it seemed the same with the Brazilians against Uruguay the other night, even though those players should know the climate...

Switzerland fluked it, like England did in 2011.

Italy were actually dictating the game at points, that was the big surprise. I think only a team like Italy, Germany or Portugal have the players, tactical discipline and technique to pull off something like that within a 3-5-2 formation.
Spain did have their chances but didn't take them. They usually do that, only winning a game 1-0. The difference with the Italian method is that they created many goal scoring opportunities and as you say the way in the past to beat Spain is through a lucky strike. Well Italia had several chances against Spain, when did we hear that last? :p

There's a difference between knowing the climate and being accustomed to it, remember that most Latin American players are exported.
edit: x-post!

England in 2011 was a friendly, doesn't count. And we are a small nation, we are allowed to bring it up all the time as it's the only successes we can celebrate. Just ask an Austrian about Cordoba...

But yeah, I do see your point. It was a pity though that despite the many chances, nobody succeeded in scoring...

For the climate, Brazil should clearly adopt the Qatari super tech that's going to make the World Cup playable in the Arabian Desert in summer.

:rolleyes:

While the climate in the North-East is a bit hotter than the rest of the country, the WC will be played in winter, so it will be at most 25-30 C when the games are being played. A lot of the problems with heat stem from the fact that the stadia tend to get hotter anyway and aren't currently being cooled properly.

Okay, I seem to have started a discussion. It was more meant as a throwaway comment, I don't think it will be any big problem. But you could see the players sweating, just saying...

But the world cup will be played next year at the same time, so how can it be "winter" then, but not now? :)

Exactly Mitsho, the world cup will be in full flow this time next year and right now it is far too hot. Players are downing water 20 minutes into the game.

It is too hot IMO, I would hate to feel the full intensity of a Brazilian summer. Yikes!

They would just have to set the games a bit later that they'll go on into the night... But oh well, European television viewers, we spoilt brats ... :)

But the Australians would love if if we play later, love it!

Italy could have easily scored at least once, maybe 2 times in the first half. They lost too many chances. They seemed to dominate the match for most of the game. Spain seemed rather clueless to me, not being able to pull off their usual game. Great work from the Italian midfield. This all changed in extra time, when Javi Martínez came in, and everyone, specially the Italians, were all worn out. It was a great game to watch, even if there were no goals.

But the Australians would love if if we play later, love it!

Most definitely. Don't forget that the largest market out their is China and they are on the same timezone as myself.

And also Japan and Korea who are both going to the Cup.

I certainly wouldn't oppose such move. Most games would be on during office hours as it stands today, so having them a bit later would be nice.

Top Bottom