football thread No11

Bremen must be an odds on favor to be relegated this year - Duisburg also started this years campaign off poorly losing 3-2

Celtic get through, but looked really lethargic against a fairly mundane Elfsborg.

Wooo Legia made minimum expectations of this season! Guaranteed EL spots. I'll be fine with them losing and going to the EL and dominating there.

For them to go through to CL group stages, I hope they draw Celtic.

Sellik perform well against Barça, Milan, ManYoo… yes, it's actually a good bet for your lads to play them in a group stage.

I'm just glad all that talk about politics is over for us, got really annoying. I now understand everyone who just has no opinion on that whole middle east thing.

Also glad that Partizan Belgrad didn't advance, would have been weird to meet them now that their central defender is joining us.

Next round, I'd be fine with avoiding Karagandy (too far) and Ludogaratz (too many Brazilians and Portuguese) next round. Legia, Austria and Maribor all would seem to be okay, especially with what I've seen from the Austria game. I heard Leagia also played far from stellar? Though after those 3-part game in Tel Aviv, I'm not so sure anymore that we can do anything... (30 minutes heaven = 0:3, 30 minutes hell = 3:3 with an own goal by us, 30 minutes Chinese Wall = 3:3 at the end). Fortunately, qualifiyng games don't count for anything much...

It appears that Manchester United have switched targets from Cesc Fabulous to Fellaini. A chasm in quality between the two players in my book, Fellaini won't be good enough for late stage champions league IMO. A Moyes led United is significantly less attractive than with SAF and it is already showing.

I can't wait for the season to begin.

Quackers, your new avatar makes me expect a thoroughly right-wing, anti-Forma post. You disappoint me.

This is the funniest transfer window in years.

Ricky Lambert gets called up for England. Thrilled for the guy. A total gentleman and model professional over his few seasons with Southampton.

Lets hope he gets on the pitch!

Heheh, Mou the Happy One, not even Ronaldo can stand him.

It appears that Manchester United have switched targets from Cesc Fabulous to Fellaini. A chasm in quality between the two players in my book, Fellaini won't be good enough for late stage champions league IMO. A Moyes led United is significantly less attractive than with SAF and it is already showing.

I can't wait for the season to begin.

They were never going to get Cesc, I don't know why they were even bidding for him. It's like Barca bidding for David Luiz - ... why? Just to show your supporters that you're going after big names?

Ricky Lambert gets called up for England. Thrilled for the guy. A total gentleman and model professional over his few seasons with Southampton.

Lets hope he gets on the pitch!

"Lambert for England". I dunno, that has always sounded so wrong to me...

I agree. If Sir Ricky makes it onto the pitch I will be very happy :)

Now, St Mary's was singing "Adam for England" (that is Adam Lallana) - that sounds much better. It worked too, but he didn't play - unfortunately.

St Johnstone go out of the Europa League on penalties :(

The stats of tonight's game (a 1-0 loss at home) are quite revealing - not just the 19 shots Saints had against 9 for Minsk, nor the 8 on target vs 2. But rather the 32 fouls committed by Minsk (resulting in 6 yellow cards) against 12 fouls by St Johnstone. (UEFA's figures, not those of the BBC or other UK based agency). Kicked off the park, basically.

Yes but the Bielorussians still managed to score. :dunno:

New Bundesliga season! Bayern defeats Gladbach 3-1. Very good game, both sides with plenty of chances and great goalkeeping on both ends. The highlight of the match is definetly 2 penalties commited by the same player in two consecutive plays.
Bayern is still not playing well, abusing ball possession and lacking the final punch in front of goal. At least they got the win to start the season.

Highlight? I had more pity with the Fohlen for that ;)

My highlight was Dante's goal (and of course as always the high level of the commentator :p).

EDIT: And the very very lame show at the start. What was that about?

Top Bottom