football thread No11

Will they or will they not stop the game>?

They say the snow is only going to increase tomorrow. If they reschedule the game for tomorrow, conditions will only be worse.

This is incredible. What sort of idiots schedule a soccer match in Denver in March? It's not like this doesn't ever happen.

Huge MLS fanbase in Denver. Plus altitude conditions are a common homefield tactic in World Cup Qualifying. Winter weather doesn't hurt certain teams/players either. Russia is known to hold qualifiers where snow is probable IE

The US needed that win. Huge win and the commentators were right, this could be the pivotal moment of the campaign

BS.Total BS. How Concacaf allowed this match to be played is unbelievable. One thing is playing under cold weather, most of the players are used to it from their clubs in Europe, but another thing is playing under a snowstorm where you can't even see the lines and the ball wouldn't roll correctly. The Northern Ireland - Russia match was suspended and the weather was way better.

Anyway, the team did a great job considering the circumstances but was unlucky to concede. It's all or nothing against Jamaica on Tuesday.

The players chose to keep playing. The ref talked with them for quite a while, your players agreed to keep playing - It was a scrappy fight sure, but the players didn't mind

So Spain is now in a rough spot with that 1-1 result.

The game went by much like expected but the result was a pleasant surprise. It's funny how expectations change during a game as I for one was mildly disappointed that Finland couldn't score on injury time never mind how unjust that would've been.
I've rarely seen a man on the field as exhausted as Pukki was but that's what happens with (very) limited material. The lack of panic even under constant pressure was refreshing - might be Paatelainen's & co doings, might be something else.
The feelings in the studio were almost as close to ecstatic as it locally can be when it comes to football and even Litmanen was more than mildly pleased with his almost unintelligible Finnish - the years in Amsterdam were great for his playing but not so good for his linguistic skills though he was never to be confused with Hitchens the elder.

Being exited of national football at this date is somewhat odd though as it's -16C & and a meter of snow outside - not ideal conditions for domestic league start which is due in 3 weeks. At this rate of spring advancing it just won't happen.

I didn't watch the game, but how did Pukki play? Hes going to handle Huntelaar's former duties for Schalke probably for the rest of the Bundesliga season.

As a lone, energetic youngster as he is with excellent touch on the equalizing goal. It's hard to be impressive striker without a ball. Somehow when I think the one's that excelled in the game without a ball or getting themselves into headlines Dieter Eilts is on the short list that pops up.

Tbh I sadly missed few minutes from the start due to unexpected schedule crisis and I watched the game on tv but I intend to rewatch it later today properly. Even though a one-sided game it's worth it.

:lol::lol::lol:

A picture of last night's game.

It's impressive that there were two WCQ games played under extreme conditions in the same confederation. Over 40C at San Pedro Sula and -1C and so much snow in Colorado.

That should have been halted and rescheduled. Doesn't matter if the players or managers want to play, the conditions are just not safe. What are the chances that the hassle involved in rescheduling decided whether the match would be postponed or not?

That picture reminds me of past local winter series which were played on snow covered, sometimes icy sand ground. Aluminium studs were allowed as well as metal screws screwed on a rubber stud - Philips screws with flat top & sharp edge worked best but by no means were those conditions proper for competitive football, just some past time fun while trying to avoid injuries.

That game in Denver should've been postponed - that's far enough from football.

That should have been halted and rescheduled. Doesn't matter if the players or managers want to play, the conditions are just not safe. What are the chances that the hassle involved in rescheduling decided whether the match would be postponed or not?

Exactly my thoughts. Our players were forced to keep playing BTW, refusing to do so would have gotten us in more trouble, exposing the team to sanctions. I wonder if the Americans would be so happy if the score went our way.

It's been said that Concacaf wanted this game to be played at all costs, because the weather in Colorado wasn't going to get any better today, and that both teams have another match on Tuesday. But It should have been rescheduled on player safety and fair play.

Tomorrow I'll update the qualy thread, but no surprises except for PAraguay snatching a point here.
The game went by much like expected but the result was a pleasant surprise. It's funny how expectations change during a game as I for one was mildly disappointed that Finland couldn't score on injury time never mind how unjust that would've been.
I've rarely seen a man on the field as exhausted as Pukki was but that's what happens with (very) limited material. The lack of panic even under constant pressure was refreshing - might be Paatelainen's & co doings, might be something else.
The feelings in the studio were almost as close to ecstatic as it locally can be when it comes to football and even Litmanen was more than mildly pleased with his almost unintelligible Finnish - the years in Amsterdam were great for his playing but not so good for his linguistic skills though he was never to be confused with Hitchens the elder.

Being exited of national football at this date is somewhat odd though as it's -16C & and a meter of snow outside - not ideal conditions for domestic league start which is due in 3 weeks. At this rate of spring advancing it just won't happen.
Are people that numb about football? 'Cos I've seen that you lot get quite… excited about hockey, about sweden, and about anything involving the two of them together. How come Litmanen still plays?
That picture reminds me of past local winter series which were played on snow covered, sometimes icy sand ground. Aluminium studs were allowed as well as metal screws screwed on a rubber stud - Philips screws with flat top & sharp edge worked best but by no means were those conditions proper for competitive football, just some past time fun while trying to avoid injuries.
Ever played on a flooded pitch?
Grendeldef said:
That game in Denver should've been postponed - that's far enough from football.
Yes, well, CONCACAF must feel that if the other continental associations can do it then so can they.

Are people that numb about football? 'Cos I've seen that you lot get quite… excited about hockey, about sweden, and about anything involving the two of them together. How come Litmanen still plays?

To make a potentially a novel length answer short yes - football doesn't raise emotions like few other things. One thing is that other things are more popular, we don't get exited (sober anyway) easily and we're not any good at football. Some sort of success is a requirement for the masses to get themselves into the streets like they (well, we, tbh) did after winning the ice hockey WC, especially in '95 when it was the 1st.
Whether Litmanen still plays is an eternal question as he is injured most of the time anyway it's hard to tell. Anyway, as he's co-owner of a team it's easy to get a deal even if only playing in few games - doesn't hurt the spectator income either as people like to see the King playing but most of all I think he still likes to play. With a ball he's still so much better than the average local league player that it's scary. Something like Valderrama was when he turned 30 - running in the field is for the untalented ones. A touch or two of brilliance can turn any match around if others are willing & able to cover the lack of defense.

Ever played on a flooded pitch?

Flood is a bit relative term but yes if ~10-15cm of water on the pitch qualifies. An occasion when it seems appropriate to quote Bon Jovi "Slippery When Wet". Long passes is the key and it does resemble football but we didn't have simultaneous rain like in Euro 2008.
Playing on a very wet field still doesn't feel as risky as on a snowcovered field so the postponing is more of a discretionary call. The early artificial grass fields, however, were dangerous when wet.

Everyone knows that Concacaf teams deliberately scheduled matches in conditions that are utterly unfavourable for the away team. I.e. 40C in Honduras and blizzards in the USA.

And everyone knows how utterly BS that is. It's just not football.

Everyone knows that Concacaf teams deliberately scheduled matches in conditions that are utterly unfavourable for the away team. I.e. 40C in Honduras and blizzards in the USA.

And everyone knows how utterly BS that is. It's just not football.

You can't compare 40C weather with playing on a blizzard. At least in Honduras you could see the lines of the pitch and the ball rolled just fine. I'm pretty sure if it was Mexico playing the US, they would have suspended the match. It's incredible how the Concacaf favours certain teams.

PD: Our FA's President wants to file a complaint with FIFA, but I highly doubt they would do anything about it.

C'mon, Birra, have you ever played in the heat? Have you ever been to a dressing room to see what happens? One of the mildest treatments is your getting no water and/or no lights in there. An example of stronger thigns is what happened in São Paulo last December.

Top Bottom