1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

football thread No11

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by Carras Dad, Feb 26, 2013.

1. dutchfire

dutchfire Deity Retired Moderator

2. Mise

Mise isle of lucy

Does anyone have a non-awful replay of that goal? :p

3. Dell19

Dell19 Take a break

Its a good goal but if the cross had been a bit more accurate or the run a bit later then the finish would have been a lot easier so I'm not sure if its the best goal of the year.

4. dutchfire

dutchfire Deity Retired Moderator

Keeping Lewandowski for an extra year has just cost Borussia 25 million euros. I hope he's worth it.

5. Gucumatz

Gucumatz JS, secretly Rod Serling

Bayern weren't going to pay 25 million Euros if anything at all. Lewa was going to Bayern the entire way and at most they would have paid half of that or just let Lewa run out his contract anyways. And for Dortmund yea, still worth it for them if they advance 2 more rounds in the UCL which is quite probable once some of their players come back from injury.

6. Takhisis

Takhisis Rum and coke.

Who knows, they might just win it on penalty shootouts and away goals.

7. Gucumatz

They aren't Chelsea. They won't win it by Greece-ing their way through it

8. Takhisis

Takhisis Rum and coke.

Liverpool won it on penalties, nine years ago.
    Eurgh, it's been nine years already.

9. Mise

Mise isle of lucy

10. MCdread

MCdread Couldn't she get drowned?

With the squad Bayern (will) have, any competition they don't win has to be considered an epic failure. And it's getting to the point where that will include the CL too.

Especially if they get a strong centre back to improve on what they have. Raiding Dortmund again and getting Subotic would be a way to go...

11. Gucumatz

If Bayern goes for a center back and thats a strong if in my opinion this january, they won't go for Subotic or someone from Dortmund. We just loaned out Kirchhoff who has potential to be world class to Schalke and frankly was already a bit on par (if a little less experienced than) Subotic. No if we go for a CB we go for someone world class or someone well established enough that is willing to be a backup.

And there is always one team a year that get's raided - that honor isn't going to Dortmund though who only lost like 2 players. That honor WILL go to Berlin though - quite a few upcomers on that squad that can be torn apart by Gladbach/Schalke/Bayern/Dortmund/whoever.

12. Gucumatz

And besides that - Badstuber finally returns in March of this year. Feels like an eternity since he has been in the backfield for Bayern.

13. Takhisis

Takhisis Rum and coke.

It's a telling fact, that the media are complaining more about a player's gesture than about all the idiots throwing things at him. It appears that no one is a brute when in the stadium except Millwall fans.
    Only for a couple of years. We used to say the same about Barcelona, didn't we?
    The strong prey on the weak, and grow stronger.

14. Gucumatz

Quite the English trait isn't it?

15. Takhisis

Takhisis Rum and coke.

It's an English game.

Moyes out!

16. Wrymouth3

Wrymouth3 Emperor

He'll end up conning some poor unsuspecting League One or League Two team when they hire him next month after his sacking.

17. Wrymouth3

Wrymouth3 Emperor

Has anybody noticed the dramatic financial and management ruin happening to Portsmouth the past few years? I would hate to be the manager who decides they will try their luck with that club.

18. Takhisis

Takhisis Rum and coke.

You should ask a user called Quackers about that.

19. Quackers

Quackers The Frog

Yup Portsmouth were a basket case of financial mismanagement for many years under a string of incompetent owners. I do not know the ins and outs of it all but it boils down to spending more than they earned and being unable to finance the resulting debt. A lot of people blame Redknapp for it, but i think that is the wrong end of the stick. He was given money by the chairman, he isn't an accountant he just spent it (and i hate Redknapp). According to this they're still paying a lot of wages to former players. A fans group have taken over the club now so i think its safe from any immediate end-of-club situation, thankfully.

It is sad to see because I would love a strong Pompey. A double fixture in the premier league would be a pleasure.

Still, they're a very challenging club to manage on Football Manager. Very low funds/wage budget you have to rely on youth players and free transfers to improve the squad but if you manage to get a few promotions the infrastructure is well in place to maintain a lower end premier league side. Decent stadium and an excellent support they are a sleeping giant at the moment.

20. IrishDragon

IrishDragon Legend

Leeds are surely the poster boy for bad financial management, going from the semi-finals of the Champions League and threatening the top sides to relegation to League One, and still unable to get back into the Premiership over a decade later