football thread No11

They're doing the same that River Plate did/does: draw up future balance sheets predicting that they'll get to this or that round in the cups and en up no lower than this or that position in the league. After a couple years, you get to be on the verge of bankruptcy.

So I just heard on TV that Ter Stegen is not signing for a contract extension because he's probably signing in Barça next season.

They're doing the same that River Plate did/does: draw up future balance sheets predicting that they'll get to this or that round in the cups and en up no lower than this or that position in the league. After a couple years, you get to be on the verge of bankruptcy.

As far as i understand, Arsenal have a similiar policy. Getting top four and the associated financial benefits in order to fund the move to Ashbuton Grove and remain competitive. They have only managed it by the skin of their teeth though, Spurs almost beat them to it one season but ate a dodgy lasagna the night before! It has only been since summer 2012 (?) where Arsenal have the big bucks to compete.

So I just heard on TV that Ter Stegen is not signing for a contract extension because he's probably signing in Barça next season.

If only they acted as decisively with their CB position. It's a great signing. I think only Courtious is ahead as youngest most talented GK.

CB stands for what exactly? I mean I know which position you mean (presumably) but I don't know how it's called in English.

I think it's Courtois, btw.

That is terrible news. I got some feels for Walcott. It is also a blow to our chances.

---------

..and yes Azzaman thats what i mean by cb.

Damn unlucky for Walcott, ACL is probably closer to a 12 month injury than 6 too if AFL injury layoffs are anything to go by. Guess that'll force Wenger to find another striker in January.

At least our excuses are loaded and ready to go when we get unceremoniously dumped out of the group stage :p
"Walcott's pace would have been ideal!" :p

As far as i understand, Arsenal have a similiar policy. Getting top four and the associated financial benefits in order to fund the move to Ashbuton Grove and remain competitive. They have only managed it by the skin of their teeth though, Spurs almost beat them to it one season but ate a dodgy lasagna the night before! It has only been since summer 2012 (?) where Arsenal have the big bucks to compete.
But the difference is Arsenal try to meet the budget. River Plater simply drew up the numbers and never presented the real balance sheets after they failed to achieve all those objectives, year in, year out. A classic case of double accountancy, and it led to their collapse and relegation after some time.
At least our excuses are loaded and ready to go when we get unceremoniously dumped out of the group stage :p
"Walcott's pace would have been ideal!" :p
Well, you can blame more things than just the heat then.

Third loss on the trot for wee davey Moyes. I actually feel sorry for him now. Something isn't right, I would like to be a fly on the wall in that dressing room.

Three 2-1s in a row. It's not frequent, to lose three matches in a row by the same score.

..and with Swansea to come this weekend at Old Trafford (where they have been weakest) they could be hurt again. I don't think it is a conincidence that these defeats have also covered Phil Jones' injury. He gives so much bite and muscle in the middle of the pitch which works well with a passer of the ball. Carrick/Cleverly doesn't work.

Yes, ManYoo haven't been a pretty-football side for at least five years (when Ronaldo and Tévez both left), so they need some people to do the dirty work for them.

Yep, Man U's best midfielder is a defender. The thing is, everyone knew Man U had a crap midfield for at least the past 2-3 years, so why didn't Moyes do something about it? He needed 3-4 very good midfielders to supply their fantastic strike-force. He got Fellaini. Says it all really.

Carrick and Jones are easily their best midfielders, but they're only "solid". They won't win games for you. They'll keep the opposition from dominating the midfield, but they aren't going to provide anything more than that.

Have to feel sorry for Moyes, that United team isn't great although he should be getting more out of them, and David Gill leaving the same time as Ferguson didn't help things when it comes to transfers

Moyes' first transfer window was a complete disaster. Fellaini was £4m over priced, the release clause actually expired during the window which Moyes had full knowledge of. They pursued pie-in-the-sky players, Modric, Alonso, Fabregas being the most prominent. They were never going to join.

The attempted signing of Herrara would have been a good buy, but it is still unclear why it failed. Moyes never wanted Thiago and it was taken from under his nose in the end. Ever Banega of Valencia would have been a good option; as was Koke.

One of the largest indictments of Moyes' judgement is not bringing Barkley with him to United. He had a gem under his nose, he barely played him for Everton and now he is excelling for Everton.

I do feel sorry for Moyes, he looks so frustrated on the bench. It may have been a promotion too far.

I think he deserves more time, but some of his decisions have indeed been confusing. He can't be expected to keep United's squad overachieving like they had in the past couple of years, but nobody thought the dip would be this evident. Wait and see. Let's see how Pellegrini does.

I think it would be difficult to replace him now as the best managers will most likely prefer to move at the end of the season. By then things might have improved as at the moment it looks like it would be a struggle to finish sixth and get a UEFA cup place and I don't have much hope of beating City if we do overturn the first leg defeat.

Replacing him now would be a mistake and importantly - who is gonna take it at this point? Not too many top, top, top ad infinitum managers availiable at the moment. In that case you may have to forgo a season of CL football and start afresh in the summer. It would be a major embarrassement for the club and Fergie's judgement.

I would say taking on Laudrup or Pochettino would be a good move in the summer but after taking a gamble on Moyes it may be worth appointing someone with a winning history. I would love to see Klopp/Conte/Simeone in our league.

Top Bottom