football thread No11

Completely on topic: how did the thing with the Dutch go?

Also more on topic: do you think the bear has to be brushed? I need clarification.
The Finns hit different..

Honestly, this feels like the type of thing that could be turned into lyrics for one of Gösta Sundqvist's songs.

Much better game than vs Japan though one has to admit that the Dutch were far from their best; Miedema is still a class act. Deserved 2-0 for the home team but the Danish ref was an interesting one and a bit too liberal to my taste. I admit nobody died so there wasn't much to do but I prefer the ref doing something before there're corpses on the pitch. Luckily it wasn't an ugly game by any means but several cynical and/or tactical fouls after which even the polar bears re-read Laws of the Game to see if they missed something.

Gösta. There's one fat proper football enthuasiast who died way too young.

^Yes, specifically I was thinking of a song like Teuvo, maanteiden kuningas but about a man and his neighbour the bear.

Back in the Uni our car club's Landcruiser was lovingly named Teuvo after this song. Too bad some of the lyrics would be lost in translation and most of them are without translation.

Not really a proper video but a picture collage and a long lasting theme song for first thrice a week then daily Urheiluruutu (SportTube), short sportnews program on tv.

Leevi & The Leavings - Teuvo
Leevi & The Leavings - Tuhannen markan seteli (1000 markka note)

Spoiler :

The legendary frontman himself https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gösta_Sundqvist The leaves out the football part. Watched & taped every game we could get his hands into before most people could spell VHS. Regular visitor on the sidelines of any game played in & around Helsinki time permitting preferred method of transport being bicycle & always wore a track suit or football shorts & jersey. Later 'bought' and managed a lower division team. Full amateurs of course but why not :)

The Euro '21 has been opened and the England - Austria is the best game in Old Trafford since Liverpool's 0-5 visit last season. Brilliant start for the tournament whichever team wins but currently England is clearly having the upper hand.
This really doesn't resemble much the games ladies played in the 90s.

I watched a bit and there was good football, in spite of the venue.

And said venue will be losing their great Cristiano Ronaldo, apparently, and once again the press has tried to tout a partnership with Messi.

It was a great game and lacking every aspect that drags down the entertainment value of an average men's game - diving, jersey pulling, time wasting etc. Also, the pace was rather hectic most of the time which is nice for a change and like always especially after a match like this I'm convinced that men's game would be exponentially better with 1+9 instead of 1+10 per team on the pitch - it's just too crowded now. Sadly, I think that only argument that could currently change the rules to this direction is that it'd save money.

Ronaldo, the flashy 2nd rate one, wants to go... somewhere - latest I've seen was Napoli. PSG would be a nice fit as they deserve each other. Much the same way as ManU & Ron does but I'd rather watch Premier League without his kind of players. Preferred destination would be Saudi Arabia but there're still few obstacles for local teams participating in Champions League though Australia is on Eurovision Song Contest so almost anything is possible.

Another good game going on though the difference in class between the team more than marginal. Norway is gonna take this with ease as expected but as general entertainment these are or are quickly approaching the level of men's tournaments which greatly benefit from ~150y of history.
I hope Mourinho's bus will be denied access anywhere near and the game stays as open as it is even when it's a bit suicidal like NI using short passes from the keeper to get going.

My dear Leeds United seem to be on a bit of a run of signing which is exciting. Next season might not be woeful!

Phillips gone, Raphinha going & Marsch as manager I fear Championship is closer than one would like especially if Ayling & co keep on performing on the level they did in the last games. They seemed wanting to go down. Meslier better became new Barthez quickly.
I have no deep ties to Leeds itself and Bielsa gone even less but I'd like more geographical distribution of teams hence there're quite a few teams I'd like to be relegates before Leeds; half of the London teams for starters. Manchester duo & Newcastle are also on the list but that's asking a bit too much.

Sepp Blatter and Michel Platini cleared of fraud. Blatter paid Platini 2 million Swiss francs and claimed that it had been belated payment for his work as a FIFA advisor which had ended in 2002. :shake:

This is the actual Blatter who admitted to fixing the drawing of lots for World Cups.

Both remain (for now?) banned from football.

I wouldn't count on that. Whether they want to come back is another matter.

Germany was excellent yesterday, Denmark a (huge) disappoinment but that may change if it was only due to Germany's performance.
We were very much what was expected - under pressure. 1-3 would've been nice but stupidity sometimes happens in closing minutes so the penalty. Danish youngster though made it worse as being sent off as a final act before the whistle. An early goal was nice but I doubt anyone expected the lead to last. Spain will have defensive issues with better teams and I doubt they'll score 3 headers again anytime soon.

Sepp Blatter and Michel Platini cleared of fraud.
Nothing should surprise us any more in the world of football. Not even slam dunk cases in corruption. And according to reports, Infantino is just as bad, if not worse. A bunch of clubs are no better either. Seems like the whole sport is bent like hell.

Interesting first round at Euro. Excellent or good games allaround and even VAR didn't annoy me endlessly. Yesterday Gama's christmas card return to sender one of the low points.
Germany looked superb and France...hmmm exciting to say the least. They could've scored 15 instead of 5 if they had played 90mins instead of bits of 45mins but they could also have given away a lot more than 1. Too bad they'll meet in semis as far as I can remember.
The rest of the bunch was outclassed but it's still early stages in play-offs many things are possible. Hopefully the entertainment value isn't diminishing.

Football's darkness reappears. Yesterday there was a fourth-division match here. Suddenly criminals posing as fans of one of the teams showed up in a few pick-up trucks and started shooting at random into the crowd, hitting at least 15 people and killing at least one of them.

Why FIFA refuses to investigate the links between football, money-laundering and drug traffickers can only be explained by Blatter and Platini not being corrupt.

Wtf - English hooligans from 80s thought to be extinct are resurfacing in southern hemisphere?

Weird games continue - England - Norway 6-0 at half-time. The penalty was a massive eff-up but it doesn't explain why Norway doesn't seem to even care to play.

Last edited:
:hide:

Embarrassing, glad it wasn't me out there. They showed up for 10 mins then just stopped playing.

I haven't checked even Verdens Gang yet so what's the word out there? I'm not even trying to explain what happened. Last time I had similar feelings was Brazil-Germany '14 but then I enjoyed the game exponentially more.

Hmm not much else to write than that they all just sucked big time. They may still well reach the quarter but nobody is talking about winning the cup anymore. Thankfully it'll be winter in a few months. :snowcool:

If there's a need for numerous (in)valid explanations for truly sucking at football , please don't hesitate to ask for help. We have decades of continuous experience.

Top Bottom