1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

For all those beginning players

Discussion in 'Civ3 Strategy Articles' started by Infested-Jerk, Jun 5, 2005.

1. Infested-Jerk

Infested-Jerk Chieftain

Civ3 can be a confusing game, let's all face it, that's why civfanatics is here.
    This article is for all those players like me who can't seem to crush the other nations. Well, I have a couple tips. (This is for chieftan because you won't get far without Alot of playing, as I learned in a regent game. I Got kicked around liek a soccer ball.)

When I started playing I would usualy concentrate on making my cities get every available imporvement. Usualy I'd only get settlers to get near resources and otherwise. Big mistake. In civ3 you have to spread quickly. With my first city now I'll get a barracks, a warrior to explore than a settler. Then I'll usualy repeat. If you're playing on a pangea tiny map culture will be your bread and butter. With culture you can extend your borders further and eat up your enemie's land.

Large amounts of territory are you friend. Got that?

Second diplomatic agreements.
    Let's say you are in a tiny pangea would with 70% water coverage. Barbarians are roaming and you are playing against babylon and spain.
    The reason diplomacy becomes important is becuase spain knows you have fewer troops and cities so it demands tribute and all that junk. They know you are weak so they take advantage of it. Usualy if you horde gold like I do, you can switch technology trades for gold, but flatly saying no often promotes wars. Babylon meanwhile might side with spain in any war, so look out.

If you happen to enter a war then you should stop production on anything besides troops, happyness improvements and other vitaly important improvements. War in civ3 is dependant on numbers. Random seed allows spearmen to kill MAs and for the lowly warrior to kill your Mech Infantry. Personaly I dislike it, but tough. Numbers become important. The more troops for offense and defense you have the better. When in war think of this. What units are the strongest and can give you an advantage. If you made it to the modern era without a war, you're ahead of them in technology, and now you have a choice. Should you use marines for sea assaults? Paratroopers to drop in on them? Stealth bombers in drove to cripple the cities? This game had many different of troops. So take your pick. Remember your troops role. Infantry in the industrial age shouldn't be attack their cities while marines shouldn't be defending yoru cities. ast troops, such as horsemen, knights, and cavalry can be useful to attack with because they are a fast unit that can retreat. I really don't favor that trait though. What use is a unit with one bar of health left?

I hope I've shed some light on some begging mistakes I'm just starting to grow out of. (Me grow? Yeah right!)
    So to recap:
    Become the settler mill you dispise so much
    Learn to play nice with the otehr nations, especialy when they are bigger than you
    When in war, the count and roles of units count.
    Culture is your friend

So how is it?

2. Ansar

Ansar Détente avec l'été

Moderator Action: Please don't quote a previous post in its entirety. Use selective quotes, and then only if they help to explain the purpose of your post

WHen I first started playin Civ 3 , I only wanted to build cities on rivers with cattle or wheat, but then I saw that experts just expanded, it doesent have to be the perfect cities. :eek:

3. Tomoyo

Tomoyo Fate

Hey, for once I don't think I'm gonna start a heated argument with someone who posted an article in the Strategy Articles forum with less than five posts!

(In other words, I like it. :))

4. Own

Own Grasshoppah

Man, if only you wrote this when I started, I wouldn't have been mindlessly, aimlessly, and cluelessly skipping turns. I would've improved much faster.

5. Lord Parkin

Lord Parkin aka emperor

Yes, very well written. :) Though perhaps I wouldn't agree with your comments on the RNG - sure, it can be annoying, but it's not useless. Warriors do not often defeat Mech Infantry, neither do Spearmen often defeat Tanks (despite popular opinion ;) ).

Other than that - a great simple guide for newbies! :)

6. Infested-Jerk

Infested-Jerk Chieftain

Thx, odd thinking I had just got a good Membership the day I wrote it!!
    Yeah, but random seed is very annoying to me. Usualy though if you have a unit a era or so higher, usualy it will win, except the odd time that you lose.

Espianoge (Please Excuse bad spelling)
    This can be a very important aspect. People in the midst of war will soon realize the value of this.

Many of the missions can help in war. Stealing plans seems useless until you enter a war! It reveals ALL the unit locations for a turn or two. Really useful for telling if you can whoop your enemies.
    Investigating towns can reveal walls and barrack, fortified troops, and all sorts of information that can help you pull an advantage.
    Propaganda isn't my favorite tool becuase it always seems to fail... :(
    Anwyays, planting spies can be a bad process. (Every once in a whiel a civ seems to be able to stop any spy I try to plant...)

Resources
    Strategic Resources are important to any player.
    (Oil always seems to illude me... :mad: )
    For certain units, improvements, and terrain improvements (Railroads) you need resources. Oil, uranium, and aluminum are especialy important. Oil allows most motorized units, aluminum allows most rockets, later aircraft and ships, and urnaium allows for the best Nuclear weapons.
    Grab resources, and use them well. Coal and Iron are needed for railroads, and horses later on can be used for kissing up to other civs.

On Nuclear weapons.
    Let me say three things. Expensive as hell. Powerful little things. Stinking hard to use one and not ruin your reputation.
    Nukes can be a fun little thing to use. They can clear units for an area, cripple cities (By clearing all improvements around it, and adding pollution.) and totaly get people mad. Fun huh?

7. Lord Parkin

Lord Parkin aka emperor

Are you sure the civs you're doing the propaganda missions on aren't in Democracy? ;)

8. Infested-Jerk

Infested-Jerk Chieftain

Good point! Usualy I try in the middle of war when I need to get some vital resource. (Oil which always appears away from me. :cry: )
    Although I should use more prescion bombings to get rid of happiness imporvements and courthouses.

9. Tomoyo

Tomoyo Fate

Propaganda is rarely useful, but in this game, we used propaganda to great success.

10. Lord Parkin

Lord Parkin aka emperor

@Infested-Jerk: Marines can be very useful when you've got the situation with no Oil. (Yes, I've experienced that problem as well.) ;)

@Tomoyo: How did you manage that? (Sorry, haven't got the time to read through a 20-page thread at the moment.) :)

11. Infested-Jerk

Infested-Jerk Chieftain

That's fine now, I whooped iroquoi and cleared the board with a nice good ol' space race victory.
    I had to stopmmost of Iroquoi sities to get oil. I eneded up killing him off totaly too!

12. Lord Parkin

Lord Parkin aka emperor

I don't think you actually need oil for a Space Race victory - it's not a required resource for the spaceship. (Though of course you DO need oil for military matters.) ;)

13. Tomoyo

Tomoyo Fate

The variant was that we were not allowed to attack AI cities, so we built our own cities around them and starved them down. After that, they were easy propaganda targets.

14. Offa

Offa Bretwalda

These tips all concentrate on a phase of the game too late on to make a big differnce.

The key to success at this game is to play very carefully at the start. For example, try reading team Wacken's thread in the current sgotm (shameless plug). It's a deity game but the ideas will work just fine at lower levels. Reading about a real game is better than general pointers.

I think playing Game of the Month is the best thing anyone can do to learn this game.

Tomoyo, you will just have to imagine our thread :mischief: .

succession game thread

15. Tomoyo

Tomoyo Fate

Oh, we in XTeam have already noted the rather large score of yours early in the game and have already deduced many conclusions. :p

16. Azash

Azash La Sombra

:mischief: What are the other :nuke: weapons, then? I must've missed some. :sad:

17. Lord Parkin

Lord Parkin aka emperor

Didn't you know about that secret function of Spearmen...? :D :p

Nah, there are only two nukes in the game, and they're both only available with Uranium. ;)