[GS] For GS, the "Recruit Partisans" Spy Mission Should be Reworked

Jkchart

Emperor
This is probably my biggest beef with the Civ VI espionage system. While I think it is miles better than Civ V's version, this mission is super annoying and the AI over-relies on this mission. I've had 3 spies in the same neighborhood multiple times pop partisans in the SAME TURN into my capital. This also really makes me NOT want to build neighborhoods, and we shouldn't have to choose between good housing + random rebels constantly spawning from the suburbs (because that doesn't make sense) and far less housing and no rebels.

I propose a rework of this mission. There would be three conditions under which partisans may be recruited in a neighborhood district: 1) the city is occupied during war, and hasn't been ceded yet, 2) the city is lacking in amenities (the fewer amenities, the greater the chance for success) or 3) the city's loyalty is falling and the less loyalty in the city, the greater the chance. It makes no sense for some random spy to be able to recruit massive amounts of partisans in my capital city with an EXCESSIVE amount of amenities and 100 loyalty. In an unhappy border city recently conquered from an enemy? Sure. That's fine. Or if I've overexpanded and can't meet the needs of my population? That's fine. But not in my perfectly loyal capital that is literally oversaturated with the joys of life.

Also, it's BS that Modern Armor can come out of this action when every other unit is in the melee line. Stick to the melee line only, or add a partisan class of units. Fix this mission, Firaxis. PLEASE. I beg you. I want my nice neighborhoods, but not at the cost of having uprisings in perfectly loyal and happy cities that I've had since turn 1.

Foment unrest (a mission which directly reduces loyalty) should have replaced recruit partisans wholesale - but its not very good at bringing down loyalty. I mean you will never flip a city with it.
The only mission they love more is to but some knives in magnus' back. Which I understand- I should protect him with a counter spy: Doable. I cannot protect all my neighborhoods at once. No one can.

Also, it's BS that Modern Armor can come out of this action
Dissidents across the suburban world have been infamous for assembling depleted uranium composites for their minivans-turned-tanks. Mom packed extra snacks for the rampage. It's realism!
It picks the strongest unit you have available, iirc- which eventually guarantees the modern armor since it has the highest strength. That's when you realize that modern AT crews only have 80 str and their bonus only gets them to 90 vs 90 with those barbarian armors- who of course, have already driven 3 towns over and pillaged all the trade routes. They shouldn't be able to move on their spawn turn. The only half decent counter is to either have army units camped there, or keep an air force stationed near the likely targets.

3) the city's loyalty is falling and the less loyalty in the city, the greater the chance.
I have long thought about this while cleaning up the mess they leave in my perfectly planned utopias, and I agree that this condition should be the required check. Feel free to start it, but if loyalty isn't declining when the mission ends, it will fail. Because this mission is so strong- 3 modern units are worth 2,000 production, which would be like stealing 8,000 gold from your opponent- i think it should be restricted to effectively border towns so that you run the risk of a collateral rampage. (Of course, it would be nice if they could tune partisan AI to only fight the target city and its defense force.)

I strongly support this idea.

Foment unrest (a mission which directly reduces loyalty) should have replaced recruit partisans wholesale - but its not very good at bringing down loyalty. I mean you will never flip a city with it.
The only mission they love more is to but some knives in magnus' back. Which I understand- I should protect him with a counter spy: Doable. I cannot protect all my neighborhoods at once. No one can.

Dissidents across the suburban world have been infamous for assembling depleted uranium composites for their minivans-turned-tanks. Mom packed extra snacks for the rampage. It's realism!
It picks the strongest unit you have available, iirc- which eventually guarantees the modern armor since it has the highest strength. That's when you realize that modern AT crews only have 80 str and their bonus only gets them to 90 vs 90 with those barbarian armors- who of course, have already driven 3 towns over and pillaged all the trade routes. They shouldn't be able to move on their spawn turn. The only half decent counter is to either have army units camped there, or keep an air force stationed near the likely targets.

I have long thought about this while cleaning up the mess they leave in my perfectly planned utopias, and I agree that this condition should be the required check. Feel free to start it, but if loyalty isn't declining when the mission ends, it will fail. Because this mission is so strong- 3 modern units are worth 2,000 production, which would be like stealing 8,000 gold from your opponent- i think it should be restricted to effectively border towns so that you run the risk of a collateral rampage. (Of course, it would be nice if they could tune partisan AI to only fight the target city and its defense force.)

I strongly support this idea.
Oh God I didn't even think about the fact that Modern AT isn't very good in a 1 on 1 (SERIOUSLY Anti-Cav needs a rebalance).

Top Bottom