1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

FOR LIBERTY - Ron Paul 2012

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Cryptic_Snow, Nov 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cryptic_Snow

Cryptic_Snow Prince

Link to video.

This documentary was produced by grassroots supporters and its incredibly inspiring to me. I watched this hour long video at midnight last night because Ron Paul is the leader America needs right now at this hour, and if we do not elect him, Voltaire was right in saying the people were too stupid to know what was best for them.

I was pretty apathetic about both parties before Ron Paul. I am against that we spend so much in loss of life and money in overseas wars at the expense of average Americans. Nor are these foreign interventions helping us in any way, in fact they are making us less safe. I am against all the regulations and taxes that make it so hard for people to start small business's. I am not for subsidizing all these corporations at the expense of small business or the banks that got massive bailouts. I am against the war on drugs and many other things as well.

Ron Paul has a concise, and straight forward message that I can get behind. He was the first politician in a long time that made sense to me. He has principles based on his belief in Liberty that make it pretty clear that he stands on the side of more freedom versus less.

It seems to me the Ron Paul is rolling along with much of the momentum he gained from 2008. All the other candidates are self destructing. Romney and Obama are in the pocket of Wall Street and corporations just looking at their top campaign donors. Ron Paul's top donors are each branch of the armed forces, that impresses me a lot. I am supporting him this time around.

2. Dean.

Dean. Chieftain

Ron Paul will continue the deregulation trend and he will keep the federal reserve since the former is the consensus among all the political parties, and the latter is integral to maintain asset values.

Ron Paul supports expanded government power in the intervention with abortion, so its not clear to me why people think he's individualist. He supports a massive expansion of corporate power in the context of a society which has witnessed the rise of a uniquely powerful corporate elite.

I understand the distrust for government regulations, which often are arranged such that they benefit some companies over others (and companies over the working class). But what makes you think that Pauls deregulation will help make things fairer? If anything, he will be far more partisan in favor of those with accumulated capital.

What we need is more democracy, and at that, a democratic system integrated with our civil society. Ron Paul simply proposes that we give the power up "to the market" which is a fancy way of saying we should give power to those with the most market shares.

3. useless

useless Social Justice Rogue

He also has some pretty terrible views on:

. LGBT rights
    . Abortion
    . Sexual harassment
    . Black people
    . Seperation of church and state

4. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

I have no use for his disastrous economic policies or his determination to undermine the liberty of the American people. I would rather be freer and more prosperous than the less free and less prosperous that Paul wants to inflict on America.

5. NickyJ

NickyJ Retired Narrator

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm actually starting to like Ron Paul a bit more politically. There are a few issues I disagree with him on, but like what the High Priest of the Church of the Painful Truth said: The more you hear Paul, the better he sounds.... Until you get to his foreign policy.

6. amadeus

amadeus As seen on OT

A foreign policy that would have saved us trillions of dollars and would not have led to 9/11 is a pretty good foreign policy in my book.

7. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

I like liberty and freedom too much to vote for Ron Paul.

8. NickyJ

NickyJ Retired Narrator

The problem is that we're in the mess now, so we better do something about it. Hiding in a corner and pretending the problems we started don't exist isn't going to fix the problem.

9. amadeus

amadeus As seen on OT

You too? By extrapolation, can I assume your libertarian paradise is Democratic Kampuchea?

10. Ajidica

Certiantly not! My paradise would be a state run by competant individuals proposing rational, measured, and effective solutions to problems we are facing.

11. amadeus

amadeus As seen on OT

You should be more intellectually honest, then, and admit that you would be less free under your system. You should defend that, not poison the debate by saying increased state power is associated with an increase in individual liberty.

12. tonberry

tonberry Emperor

I won't speak for Ajidica but, for me, libertarian has as much to do with liberty as, to use your example, Democratic Kampuchea has to do with democracy.

13. Ajidica

I would certiantly expect a response like that from someone whose definition of freedom is about as Orwellian as they come.

14. CELTICEMPIRE

CELTICEMPIRE Zulu Conqueror

I have supported Ron Paul for quite some time now and I agree that he should be president.
    oh, and he is not racist.

15. amadeus

amadeus As seen on OT

I'm done with you too, now.

16. Ajidica

Cool. Now we can proceed with rational, measured, effective responses to problems without having to worry about silliness such as comparisons to Democratic Kampuchea because you excused yourself from this conversation.

17. useless

useless Social Justice Rogue

His own statements, words and beliefs directly contradict this. He's akin to a white supremacist.

18. amadeus

amadeus As seen on OT

I brought it up as a response to your initial poisoning of the debate. You shouldn't try to claim victory after your outright refusal to accept the truth (your ideal society would be less free) and actually try to defend your position.

19. jtb1127

jtb1127 Deity

I especially like his plan to destroy the public education system. Oh well. Poor people don't need educations anyway.

20. Ajidica

Excuse me? I poisioned the debate by you bringing up Democratic Kampuchea which is completely irrelavent?

God, I love your doublethink.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.