[For Siam sake!] SIAM LOOKS WEIRD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, note the unique unit. Naresuan's Elephant. I wonder how the Thai censors would take Naresuan's Elephant - and whoever's riding it, presumably King Naresuan - being killed in game...

Firaxis/2K's representatives do read this forum.

Though they probably won't do anything about it.

WHAT!?

I hope they could do some minor changes

and for the major ones ,they might do big changes in expansion pack

I wish Firaxis do something to make Siam better.

This is Thai wish-list (from most to least important changes)

1. Change face of our king :king: to be more handsome :sad:
just copy it from the statue (in fact, in concept art he is already awesome!)

2. remove the hindu statue and fill the place with ...may be buddhist sculpture
this one is perfect

http://th.wikipedia.org/wiki/ไฟล์:Phutthamonthon_001.jpg

oh you can leave the place empty ;)

3. Naresuan's elephant might make people misunderstand that the one riding it
is King Naresuan the great, He reclaimed independence of Siam
so it would be unimaginable to see hem killed by tank or spearman :eek:
so change its name to Royal war elephant or Royal elephant

If you could do any of these many Thai people will be very impressed

because the government would not need to think about banning Civ 5 :)

The Thai government might care about this, but 99% of people who play civilization (like me) wouldn't care if they made him look white and Christian.

The Thai government might care about this, but 99% of people who play civilization (like me) wouldn't care if they made him look white and Christian.

That would be a nice reason for Firaxis to do nothing :(

but seriously, if he was white it would look too stupid ,wouldn't it? :confused:

Well! since Firaxis selects my country, I want it to be as best as it can.

I think that If your country is included, you would clearly want it to look good. :)

So am I!

3. Naresuan's elephant might make people misunderstand that the one riding it
is King Naresuan the great, He reclaimed independence of Siam
so it would be unimaginable to see hem killed by tank or spearman :eek:
so change its name to Royal war elephant or Royal elephant
I'm sorry, I agree with you on everything else, but this is just silly. It's obviously not King Naesuan, otherwise you'd have endless Naresuan clones in your army, sicne even one unit is represented by multiple people. Besides, witht he Great Generals it is likely there will be national heroes for other countries, like Horatio Nelson or ... Err... Robert E. Lee?, anyway, we have to see those killed, potentially, so moaning about that is being kinda silly.
ichibang said:
I think that If your country is included, you would clearly want it to look good.
Well, other people's counties have sutpid stuff as well, for one thing England instead of Britain. We even have Longbows, British Longbows were made using Welsh wood -_-'. So yeah, Siam might be quite a bad example, but everyone else has it the same as well.

The loss of potential sales in Thailand could quite possibly make Firaxis reconsider. Potentially 1,000,000 + sales.

Although it is true that 99% of Civ players probably don't care, that really is irrelevant.
Losing that many potential sales would make their shareholders sit up and take notice.

I guess, I'm one of the 1% anyway. My girlfriend last night saw the picture and immediately picked up that the Siamese King looked like Thaksin without any prodding on my part. She also told me that the statue looked Brahmin in nature and was not really representative of Thai culture. This sure isn't helping get her interested in the Civ series as I had planned. :(

I think Thailand is a big market now, especially as Siam has been included. Might this also bleed onto other SEA nations?

I think Thailand is a big market now, especially as Siam has been included. Might this also bleed onto other SEA nations?

Indeed. There are 60,000,000 people in Thailand and quite rightly they are extremely proud of their culture and history. Siam being included could cause a big increase in sales in Thailand. It's something that Firaxis, 2K or Hasborg likely thought of. I wouldn't be surprised if this amounted to an increase of a few hundred thousand sales. That could mean millions of dollars in extra sales.

Therefore, I sincerely hope Firaxis will make some changes to Siam. It may seem insignificant to the average Civ player but the more successful that ciV is, the better off all of the Civ community is.

"As of March 26, 2008, Civilization IV has sold 3 million copies according to Take-Two Interactive."

Civ5 might do better, but certainly won't sell 1 million copies in thailand. I hate to be stereotyping, but most of the illegal content I come across on the internet is either from Russia or Asia. If the market really was that great, then they might change it, but I still believe that the majority of paying customers are to be found in the west (where those statues could be elephants, and we wouldn't know any better).

The statues looks fine to me. If you don't like them, just replace the civ with your own mod.

That would be a nice reason for Firaxis to do nothing :(

but seriously, if he was white it would look too stupid ,wouldn't it? :confused:

Well! since Firaxis selects my country, I want it to be as best as it can.

I think that If your country is included, you would clearly want it to look good. :)

So am I!

I dont care if the american president looks like a fat person. And I dont care how it looks.

Are thai people REALLY that sensitive about their king?

Are thai people REALLY that sensitive about their king?

They have a censorship, you know. And could go to jail for insulting king's name. That's rather different from USA.

"As of March 26, 2008, Civilization IV has sold 3 million copies according to Take-Two Interactive."

Civ5 might do better, but certainly won't sell 1 million copies in thailand. I hate to be stereotyping, but most of the illegal content I come across on the internet is either from Russia or Asia. If the market really was that great, then they might change it, but I still believe that the majority of paying customers are to be found in the west (where those statues could be elephants, and we wouldn't know any better).

The statues looks fine to me. If you don't like them, just replace the civ with your own mod.
Well, whatever the case, it's a small fix that they could do that could bring in a much bigger financial reward then how much they'd spend to make it more realistic.

The statues look fine if you are playing India. It'd be like playing the Ottomans with Big Ben or a Shinto shrine in the background. It's stupid of Firaxis who were bragging how much effort they put into getting the leaders to speak into their native tongues and even going as far as resurrecting a dead language to not even do a little research into Thai culture. A half arsed effort if you ask me.

Well, whatever the case, it's a small fix that they could do that could bring in a much bigger financial reward then how much they'd spend to make it more realistic.

The statues look fine if you are playing India. It'd be like playing the Ottomans with Big Ben or a Shinto shrine in the background. It's stupid of Firaxis who were bragging how much effort they put into getting the leaders to speak into their native tongues and even going as far as resurrecting a dead language to not even do a little research into Thai culture. A half arsed effort if you ask me.

My point was: why go that extra mile, when it's a questionable market anyway? The amount of people playing a game isn't always the same as the amount of people buying the game sadly. Intellectual property and copyright infringement is a well-known problem in Asia.

My point was: why go that extra mile, when it's a questionable market anyway? The amount of people playing a game isn't always the same as the amount of people buying the game sadly. Intellectual property and copyright infringement is a well-known problem in Asia.
Why go that extra mile? That has nothing to do with expected market penetration or copy behaviour. They should because the game designers and publishers have clearly put a lot of effort into the design of the civlizations in terms of the rendering of the leaders, but also picking the UU's (they gave the elephants to Siam for a reason, no?). So the aim should be to be as accurate as possible, within reason. If they gave George a moustache, I'm sure we'd have threads asking it to be removed for not being historically correct.

This is just too silly in my opinion. Look at the image above, and tell me those two aren't similar. Of course there are differences in appearance - I dont even look remotely similar to my neighbour. How can you then say that this doesn't represent Ram Khamhaeng in a proper way? The dude is 700 years old and for obvious reasons theres no photos of him, so you can never say that one is correct and another is not.

It is very rare that statues or paintings of great men/women were accurate. Most of the time they were "prettier" than their real-life counterpart. Ram Khamhaeng could have been one-armed leper with no teeth in real life - we will never know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom