Deity
-Game Statitics-
Russians
Regent
70% water
Wet
Five million years old

-Quoted from the Wikipedia article on early Russia:

The Russians first originated in the world as a band of nomadic travelers, taking time to properly explore the great north. Eventually, content with the distance they had trekked, they settled along a body of water, soon to be named White Sea, for much of it’s far northern reaches were frozen over at the time of settlement. They named the settlement, Москва, or Moscow. Within a few generations Moscow became overcrowded, and the city’s leaders planned for another city far to the south. It was a tropical forest, we would call it a jungle, near some very enterprising spices that the people, after sampling them, desired most hotly.

While a group of settlers took their walking sticks and packs and headed south, a group of scouts had long been heading north. Already within but a few years, they had discovered the shape of the land. Some time beforehand, they had already suspected the White Sea, to be enclosed via a ring of land. It was comfirmed. The White Sea turned out to be shaped like an upside down crescent. There a pininsular that stretched southwards from the northern half, ending about halfway through the White Sea. By now the scouts had rounded fully around the White Sea, and had reached the new settlement sent from Moscow, called Санкт-Петербу́рг, or St. Petersburg. It had been a few years since the small village’s founding, but it already had a garrison, and a team of workers who had already created a road to the spices, and now concentrated on making the jungle around them useable.

The scouts returned to Moscow, and were hailed as heros. For the land they described could be used to the Russians’ advantage. The leaders who most pleased, and the twenty or so scouts retired as very wealthy noblemen. They were, however, surprised to see that there was another settlement to the north, one that could be used as a canal between the White Sea, and the outer sea. The town had been named Но́вгород, or Novogrod.

Along with promising new land, there had also been promising new enemies to the scattered Russians settlements. There were other peoples far to the south of St. Petersburg. The Koreans were a pale people who spoke a strange language, much unlike the cold and harsh Russian tongue. They lived in outlandish huts, with the most perculier roofs that the scouts marvelved at. They were nothing like the wooden huts of Moscow.

Much further south, the Aztecs settled in primitive buildings made of stone and wood. They were a strange people, very much war-like, wearing little clothing. When the scouts arrived, the head city, or captial, was building a great rock structure, called a pyramid. The people said it was to bury their leaders, and also, be a great storage place of food.

In the coming years, the Russians would develop under the dynamic leadership of despots, which they called czars. The people worked the land around Moscow, and the new settlements, building a network of roads between them. Eventually (as seen in the map below) they would settle and claim the land around the White Sea (aside from one Aztecan settlement that managed to squeeze in under the Czar’s nose). Once they discovered our to make ships, called galleys, they settled two islands northwest of mainland Russia. The first, and smaller one had an extremely vaulable resource on it’s shores. Wild horses. The Russians had learned how to ride horses from the Koreans, but their presence was absent from their own lands. Kora and Azteca had none to trade, and they would have to do with out. The island was settled and claimed in the name of Russia. The settlement was called Брянск, or Bryansk. The other larger island was sans resource, but still needed to be taken, to prevent a foreign country establishing a bastion there. The town there was named Тверь, or Tver’.

Russia had established itself, according to traveling scholars; it was the largest country in the world. But there was still pockets of unclaimed land, and to Russia, there were at least five other civilizations they knew nothing about. Not to mention, Ivan the Great, who had completed much reform and scientific ingenuity during his reign was concerned on how Russia could stay advanced, and powerful. Korea and the Aztecs knew slightly more then the Russians did, and only after some great prodding would they agree to exchange of knowledge between the three countries at the Russian city of Rostov. It is known as the Great Exchange of Rostov. It was to be the last great act that Ivan III, or Ivan the Great accomplished. The next spring, rule passed to his sister-son Peter Romanov.

Russia at the time of Peter I

“Therefore, with the power invested in me, as Czar Ivan the III of the proud nation of Russia, I hereby abdicate in favor of my sister-son Peter Romanov, who is forthwith, Czar Peter I, head of the monarchy of Russia.” The grey-bearded Ivan III read off a long piece of parchment. He was dressed in heavy garments, which consisted of drab grey robes, boots, and gloves. The crown of Russia, though not particularly extravagant, still sat upon Ivan’s head.

Ivan stood upon a balcony of the palace, addressing the people crowded below in the palace square. With him were a number of royal officials, foreign diplomats from Korea and Azteca, his advisors (now referred to as his ‘council,’ a term from ancient Russia), and his successor, Peter Romanov. Upon finishing the reading of the parchment, he put it on a small table nearby, dipped a quill in ink, and signed his name at the bottom. He handed the quill to Peter, who followed suit likewise.

Peter moved towards the front of the balcony, Ivan stood behind him. He took the crown of Russia from his head, and placed it on Peter’s. “So passes rule of Russia from my hands, to my heir’s. All hail Czar Peter I of Russia!”

The crowd cheered. Peter was young, bright, curious and eager to further Russian power and knowledge in the world. Ivan had been a good ruler, but Peter was expected to be better.

“People of Russia,” Peter began addressing his new subjects. “We have been told just last month that we are the largest nation upon this earth! That is good! But I have plans to further our knowledge of that world. We move from despotism to a monarchy. A great change, only brought on by our scholars and wise men, along with some help from our friends,” he looked back at the representatives from Korea and Azteca. “But now, as we enter a new age, it is of course time to build our military might. Already, by some slim chance of fortune, I have discovered how to use the iron we use in our swords to create armor of great defense, now we are prepared if war comes. We have exchanged this information with the Koreans, who have taught us something called monotheism. We are preparing ourselves to further this, and remove our pagan way of belief, and hammer it into who created the earth. But that is for later as we forge our way into the future. With my reign a new age begins. An age, for Russia!”

The crowd cheered yet again. Peter waved, and left the balcony. He shook hands with the representatives, and walked back into the palace with Ivan.

Ivan, now holding a staff for support, praised his successor, and new Czar. “Wonderful Peter,” he said. “Simply wonderful. However,” he held up a bony finger. “There are a few things you need to remember throughout your reign.”

“First off, the monarchy. You need little to concern yourself with how it works, aside from that your word is law, as you have been chose via divine right, to be Czar of Russia. But it is still wise to know how to make it better. Be wary of the nobles, for they may try to kick you off the throne, and place their own heir on the throne. The Dukes and Duchesses of the realm govern their respective cities, but they also want more.”

“Next, there are a few cities and provinces you must keep. The most important ones are Novgorod, and Khabarovsk. They control passenger in and out of the White Sea, and provide a timesaving shortcut for our ships. The last two are Bryansk, and Yaroslavl’. Bryansk holds our line of horses, our only line of horses. We need it if we wish to have horsemen. Yaroslavl’ is important because it is our only source of iron, which will be a valuable commodity in the coming age.”

Peter bowed his head. “Of course Uncle.”

“Peter, you need not do that anymore,” said Ivan. “You are Czar now, not I. It is I who should be bowing to you. That is all I have to say to you. Farewell, Peter” The former despot bowed and walked towards the entrance.

“Where are you going?” asked Peter.

“To Yakutsk, Czar,” answered Ivan. “You need me not to guide you, as you already have absorbed everything I could teach you. Listen to your advisors my nephew, and heed not the nobility. Good luck Czar Peter I of Russia.”

Ivan III exited the palace at Moscow, and was never seen in the city ever again.

Note: The Wikipedia article cannot actually be found in the Wikipedia site, is moreso supposed to be from the Wikipedia in the modern age of this game.

-From the Wikipedia article on Peter I

Peter Romanov looms as a tall figure in the history of Russia. Literally, he was taller then the normal man, at least two meters in height, with bright green eyes. He had been born from Ivan III’s sister, who had died prior to Peter’s coronation. Peter had one brother, Ivan. He was the eldest, and was supposed to take over the throne, until Ivan III decided to have Peter and Ivan be joint-Czars. Ivan would have become Ivan V (Ivan IV was Ivan III’s younger brother), had he survived.

Peter had discovered Russia’s new iron arms only a few months prior to Ivan the Great’s abdication. It was purely by accident that the melted iron had fallen into the mold for a clay bowl. He found, after much trial and error, the precise formula that had formed it. Peter made a few designs, and then whisked them off to the royal blacksmiths. In the meantime, Russian philosophers had been working on a new type of government called feudalism. A Lord owned land, and ‘loaned’ it to various nobles. The system turned out to be highly corrupt in theory when the formation of the Russian nobles came about. So, the philosophers chucked the idea. Peter discovered an old text on the subject, and slapped it together with his new armor at the Great Exchange of Rostov. It proved to be a deciding factor in the trade.

Peter would refine Russia as Ivan had. He had his heart set on expanding Russian borders to secure future resources. He also wished to construct a massive navy, and make the White Sea advantage to great use. The following years of reign would revolutionize Russia into the new age. Appropiately, this new age also included war.

Smolensk was a cold city in winter. Colder still when there was a shortage of firewood. A young man made his way through the snow-laden streets, draped around him were heavy clothes and a cloak. He held a stack of wood, meant a for a fireplace, as he entered a narrow passage squeezed between two narrow houses, and knocked on a door at the end.

“Come in Yegor,” a voice called. “Door is open.”

Yegor pushed the door opened, entered and closed it. He made his way down a stone spiral staircase, until he reached the bottom. The home was a series of six rooms. One being the largest, a sort of living space/laboratory, two being bedrooms, one being a kitchen, and he last being a storage place for a variety of texts.

The first room was the living area, where an white-haired man was crouched by the fire, hands extended. “Good Yegor!” he said. “You have brought the wood. Good, good, put it on the fire. There is only embers now.”

“Yes, Master Konstantin.” Yegor walked towards the fire and put a couple of logs on it.

“Splendid to get heat back in here,” muttered Konstantin. “Now we can return to our equations. Come Yegor.”

“I still do not see how your theorem can work Master,” said Yegor.

“Bah! It will work,” the old man dismissed his apprentice’s skepticism. He left the room for only a moment, and returned with several pieces of parchment in his hands. “We are almost there, Yegor, we just need to work at it a little.”

“But Master, the numbers do not add up. We’ve checked out columns at least twenty times, surely it is incorrect.”

“You sure,” said Konstantin with a toothy grin. “I count exactly seventeen times. Looks like someone has not been checking precisely.”

“You know what I mean,” said Yegor coolly.

“We will come across the error in our work soon enough Yegor,” Konstantin replied, flipping through the parchment. “I told you your first day here, I am never wrong.”

“Everyone makes mistakes Master,”

“Only the young,” Konstantin answered flatly. “When you get to be my age, you know enough not to make mistakes. I’ll prove you wrong soon enough.”

“Whatever you say, Master.” Yegor replied dejectedly.

“Ah, see? You’re learning! Now come help this old man with his calculations. Bring the abacus too, perhaps a physical model will help us.”

Quoted from the Wikipedia article on Konstantin Dikul:

At the time of Peter the First, Konstantin Dikul was already past the age of sixty. His golden years were behind him. During Ivan’s reign he had been quite the important intellectual in the courts, marveling the royals with his complex calculations and equations. Shortly before Ivan abdicated, Konstantin formed a theorem on how to improve the siege weapons of the time. However during the physical model tests, an error in his work came up. He was deduced as going senile after being given three chances. Ivan banished him to Smolensk, where he remained for the rest of his short years remaining.

“Tell me lad,” said Konstantin. “What news from the market?”

“The Czar has encouraged sea exploration,” replied Yegor. “He’s even helped the wrights at the dock. He refuses to go by Czar, simply ‘Carpenter Peter.’”

“And, have these sea explorations helped?”

“There comes word from a merchant from Khabarovsk. He said that the ship, Cerulean Mist, has discovered to more islands to the east. Peter has already sent two convoys of settlers to claim the island. No word on a name, or if they were successful.”

“If I know Peter,” commented Konstantin. “Or rather knew, he would have probably manned the vessels by himself. Always with the sea is his heart, ever since he was a child.” The old man brushed the papers aside and sighed. “Anything else before I make the evening meal?”

“There have been sightings of ships under a strange banner, purple, sighted near the town and Rostov as well.”

“Korea has a purple banner.”

“Yes, but this is more of a deep purple, at least that’s what they say.”

Konstantin drummed his fingers. “Interesting, a new country from across the sea. Well, let us hope the Czar takes it to heart, and explores west of our nation. We are still the largest in the world, correct?”

“Correct, Master.”

“Well, all this means is that Peter needs to build up our military. The gods know if this new nation may be hostile or not.”

“There has been some talk about legions of pike men being built, and infantry being garrisoned at Vladivostok.”

“Bah, I do not trust rumors,” the old man said. “It will probably be true, but remember, the devil cavalry they have across the Lower Tunguska are very powerful. Let us hope the Czar does not underestimate them, and lead to our downfall, and conquest.”

“Come Master, let us eat before such cold thought fully dominate our minds.”

Top Bottom