1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

For Those Who Haven't Bought CiV

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by JackRules, Oct 18, 2010.

1. JackRules

JackRules incompertus vapulus

I can't be the only one reading these threads who hasn't yet purchased CiV. I played a bit of CivII, a lot of CivIII, and tons of CivIV (and still am). I am wondering what people on the fence are thinking about buying the latest rendition of CIV.

I for one am taking a wait-and-see approach, but at this point I am going to hold out to see what future patches and fixes can accomplish. It's not that I can't afford to buy it, it's more that I don't want to be dissapointed when I do. I'm not a big gamer, and CIV has always been pretty much all I play. I'm not very good (play Prince right now with limited success), but I still enjoy BTS and don't want to move on if CiV isn't going to give me atleast a comparable game experience.

What are the other fence sitters out there thinking right now?

2. Wardancing

Wardancing Chieftain

Loved Civ1, played a lot, Civ2 i liked, didnt play as much as 1, Civ3 i liked and played a lot, Civ4 i liked and played probably the most of all. Bugs and all, i liked them from release, and they ended up for the most part patching them up so i bet theyll shine up 5 well.

That said, i dont like Steam, i dont care how much you guys like it. In a perfect world, i would mail Firaxis a check and get a steam-less single player edition but that wont happen. I guess after the patches, maybe expansion packs, ill see what the mood is around here, if its good, ill download the civ5 demo, install *throw up a little in my mouth* steam, go through a dozen settings and go into offline and see if i still notice steam trying to phone home (in offline mode) as i did with a different 2k steam demo.

In short, if the fanatics like it (patched/expanded up), and i can set up steam to die completely , id buy it.

3. el_hidalgo

el_hidalgo Chieftain

I preordered it and then canceled my order, as the more I learned about it the more doubtful I became that I would like it. Now after reading the comments here, I know for sure I want to at least wait for expansions/patches before buying. It really sounds like a step down from IV, which I am still enjoying anyway, so no hurry.

4. Ogrelord

Ogrelord Chieftain

I played the demo here and the full game at my friend's house.
    Don't like it, and I'm no expert either. Played cIV at Noble/Monarch level. I try to stay positive and even make some fan art... but I don't foresee it's going to get any better 'till way later. So wait and see, also wait even more to see if Firaxis is not going to pull a Valve L4D fiasco. Anyhow my PC can't handle it.

Strangely enough, it's 'cause of the console games (RDR, Heavy Rain) that makes me wary of buying pre-order games on any platform, not matter what the bonus are. If I want to play a "streamlined" Civ game then I have Civ Rev for that, don't need another one.

5. UWHabs

UWHabs Warlord

My comp can't handle it (it can barely handle civ4). Once I get a comp that can, I'll most likely buy it. Reading around, there's enough promise that can be fixed in patches to make it playable.

Of course, it also depends on how I'm doing when I actually spring for this new computer. If there start to be rumours of an expansion pack when I get it, I'll probably wait for that.

6. YoHo

YoHo Chieftain

I was going on vacation the Wednesday after release and also was hording cash for that Vacation.
    Since then I've tried the demo and have been less than happy with the performance with my video card. It plays, but it isn't as pretty as I want.

So between that, general money tightness in this economy and still needing to digest Halo: Reach, I've put it off.

I put off Civ IV in exactly the same way. It isn't anything to do with the quality of the game. Just an "I'm an adult who needs to treat money the way an adult would" problem.

That I will get the advantage of a more throughly patched game is just icing.

Having said all that, I plan to buy a video card this weekend...so probably will pick it up next paycheck.

7. joasoze

joasoze Chieftain

I am holding off too. I am awaiting a new comp, and I am no fan of Steam. As the state of affairs are now, I will play Kings Bounty Crossworlds when I get the comp, and later Elemental when its patched a few times more. CIV V? Maybe on special offer next year.

8. Grape Flavor

Grape Flavor Chieftain

I was totally pumped until I found out how bad the AI is. Multiplayer is great in theory but let's face it, it's always been kind of impractical to pull off. So a good AI is key to my purchasing Civ V. Your fundamental game design can be great but if the AI is a joke it ruins the whole thing.

I mean, I read these forums and it's appalling. Everything they said about how great the AI and diplomacy were going to be were horrible lies. The AI is completely nonsensical, they get mad at you for helping them in war or bringing them back into the game, liberating their cities! It's hard to see how they could have screwed it up worse.

I truly believe that there's a great game in there, "streamlining" or no. But until someone makes the AI solid, no buy from me.

9. ShuShu62

ShuShu62 Chieftain

My dad and I have a long tradition of exchanging Civ games at christmas going back to cIv and the golden Microprose titles. Steam has made this Christmas a questionable call. The reviews are making it more questionable, especially since we would BOTH need new computers for it, but hey, its civ... Just like Star Wars, you know you shouldn't, but you just can't help yourself. :)

10. Sark6354201

Sark6354201 Chieftain

I've been a long time player of Civ, starting with Civ1. I'm also a huge fan of SMAC, which is a "Civ" game through and through. With that being said, I am not going to buy Civ5. The game looks dumbed down and it is a step backward for the franchise. Maybe things will change with expansions, but I doubt it.

11. Sark6354201

Sark6354201 Chieftain

Very cool tradition:goodjob:

12. Grape Flavor

Grape Flavor Chieftain

It's not so much dumbed down as plagued by terrible balance issues and moronic AI. Read Sulla's game logs on his site to see what I mean.

I think this Civ is somewhat of a tragedy. If they had done the math right (not rewarding gameplay-exploit strategies the devs clearly never intended you to use), and it had a compelling AI, I think it would be great.

Then again, that's a big "if" and it remains to be seen whether Firaxis, or even modders will ever unlock this game's wasted potential.

13. C~G

C~G Untouchable

I came back to visit this forum since I heard Civ V was coming out.
    I was astounded I had missed it and I was totally pumped when I heard the news.
    My computer went down have been pondering buying a new one in case some new game comes out. Now, I'm sure I won't buying it after hearing what the game is about.

It's crap. It's kids game. It's simple board game without any actual thought.
    It tries to be tactical but AI sucks socks.

It greatly reminds of many old console action oriented games that had some roleplaying elements with them. It would be same kind of crime to call them ACTUAL roleplaying games as it is calling Civ V ACTUAL strategygame.

I was taken totally off guard that Firaxis could fail this massively. I don't want to see the game even now. I'm that disappointed and I have never ever in my life judged some game without seeing it or playing it.

I don't see how one can go from Civ IV to the next installment by taking off religions, spies, health and changing concepts like happiness to total mess. Apparently the hex grid and 1upt are something new and refreshing. Rest is just total nightmare.

It's not Civilization 4.5 like many expected but Revolutions 1.5 which many feared.
    Been playing Civs since the first one and now I'm done with them in future (Civ IV is still playable though.)

14. Thoughtful Thug

Thoughtful Thug Chieftain

Welcome back Cool Guy. How's Finland these days?

Spoiler :
    CartesianFart;)

2 things I can say positively about this game is:

1. Graphics is a lot better
    2. the 1upt (one unit per tile) is a good radical addition to the game

but the rest as you said, is something that would not appeal to players that had thought that cIV has some faults, but at least it can be fully worked on to make it better. ciV totally neglected that and was remade into a war simulator.

15. C~G

C~G Untouchable

I'm like two minutes here and someone is already harassing me. ;):lol:

Nice to see ya.
    Well, Autumn is on it's way and winter is knocking to the door. Would have liked some game to warm me up, sigh.

What I have read and also heard from couple of people I know who have played the series from the start, I'm not so sure it's fixable to the point of being playable for many facs.

There are actual wargames existing with much better...well, almost everything.

These few things like hexes, 1upt sound like ideas that you could build from but the rest....

Maybe we change notes about other things privately?
    (I need to get some sleep now)

16. Andoo

Andoo Chieftain

Try the demo and see if you like it. I loved it when I played the demo, bought right away, and still loving it.

17. Grape Flavor

Grape Flavor Chieftain

I dunno, I think you fix the balance issues (the math basically), and give it a real AI, and it's a game worth playing.

Sure, some people are going to be stuck on the removal of health or religion or what have you, but fix those two things and I know I'd be interested. Maybe not a total replacement for Civ IV, but interesting nonetheless.

Even so, fixing those two things is a tall order and it's very unclear whether it will ever happen.

18. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Warlord

It's not that I can't afford it either. But I'm a man of principle. I expect finished games. I'm not here to save 2k or Firaxis from imminent collapse (I'm just guessing, I have no idea what their financial situation is). When the game is complete and/or there are some mods that fix the game to be fun, I'll then buy the game. I may end up waiting until 1 or 2 XP's are released and by all 3 games in a pack for roughly the same price as the unfinished game is now.

I expect developers and publishers to released finished games. I am making a stand here. If every other person made a stand and didn't do silly things like pre-order we wouldn't be in this mess. These companies need to get their **** together.

19. Bkeela

Bkeela Chieftain

I'm still happy playing Civ IV. I've reverted to vanilla, as Beyond the Sword is too cluttered with features, and it feels too unfair with the Apostolic Palace and the slew of financial civs. I'd rather play vanilla at harder difficulty than barely cope with noble on BtS.

So I'm not interested in trying Civ 5 at all. I completely bypassed Civ 3, so maybe by the time Civ 6 comes along, I'll be sufficiently bored with #4, and ready.

Now had Firaxis made Alpha Centauri II, or perhaps a Master of Orion style game - a type of game I'm actually starving for, yeah, I'd be interested. But since I'm already satisfied with Civ IV - Civ V = meh.

20. Jolly Rogerer

Jolly Rogerer Chieftain

Buy something that is finished and that people like. I'll almost certainly going to skip V as it seems to be aimed at someone else. Paradox makes good games, and I haven't played the latest versions of their various series.