1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Forbidden Palace and State Property

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Tyrant Roger, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Tyrant Roger

Tyrant Roger Warlord

Lately I have been building the Forbidden Palace to enjoy the significant drop in city maintenace that results. What I am not clear on is whether I continue to benefit from the FP after I switch into State Property. If so, then whether to build this National Wonder is very situationaly dependent. If not, and my civ has grown to a respectable size, then it would almost always be the thing to do.

Also, are there any differences in effect between Versailles and the FP?

2. Single Malt

Single Malt Prince

I would always build the FP. State Prop is only really useful to a large empire as it removes the distance to palace maintanance. You still have maintanance with respect to the number of cities and the population of cities. The difference between Versailles and the FP is that Versailles is a world wonder. Versailles is also very expensive, and on a dead end tech. Mind you that that dead end tech is a good trade magnet.

3. Joshua368

Joshua368 Warmongering builder

The main difference is that the Forbidden Palace is available about 1000 years before State Property.

4. DaveMcW

DaveMcW Deity

FP is destroyed when the city is captured, Versailles is not.

Guess which city I'd rather invade...

5. Skallagrimson

Skallagrimson Deity

Versailles, corp HQs, and religion shrines are at the top of my "must invade" list.

6. Solo4114

Solo4114 Prince

I usually don't build an FP unless and until I've captured an enemy civ or have started settling the new world. I think that's because I always assume that I'll eventually want to build it, you know, when I take over an enemy AI or settle the new world. :)

7. vormuir

vormuir Prince

I'm pretty sure you get no benefit from the FP once you switch to State Property. (Except, umm, the FP provides a little bit of culture? So there's that.)

That said, the FP is usually available so long before State Property that I find myself building it even in games where I'm beelining for SP.

Waldo

8. Babibo

Babibo Immortal

You should try a State Property game, you'll see that these +1 :food: everywhere and +10% :hammers: can be very handy, although I agree this civic is better on large empires.

9. Munch

Munch Benevolent Despot

Does the FP reduce the distance maintainance of the city it's built in too or just nearby ones? I wonder about this because if it does reduce the maintainance of the city itself then FP would have synergy with WS, right? Any other synergies?

I might be wrong about this (can someone confirm?) but I imagine the distance maintainance to be like concentric circles emanating from your centres of government (capital, FP, Versailles). So when deciding where to put FP I try and find the location such that the maximum distance between any city and any centre of government is at a minimum - this typically means sticking it in the middle of a bunch of far-flung cities. Is that reasonable, or do you just stick the FP as far away as possible?

10. TheLlama

TheLlama Chieftain

Yes, it does. The distance maintenance in that city is 0.

Once again, you are correct. Imagine your empire as a line that is 100 tiles long. To minimize the distance from palace modifiers, the ideal placement would be the palace/FP at squares 25 and 75, so that no city would be more than 25 squares away from a palace. However, this is obviously not feasible, but you get the idea.

11. S.ilver

S.ilver Emperor

While the FP does reduce distance maintenance to zero, is does not have an specific synergy with Wall Street because Wall Street acts on the gold output of a town, while FP is acting on the maintenance. In fact, I usually pair the FP with something like Rushmore, as it doesn't matter where it goes, and I'd rather not clutter up the other high production cities with bad National Wonders.

12. Munch

Munch Benevolent Despot

Thanks for the information/confirmation!

Isn't the maintainance measured in gold, and subtracted from the gold output of a city prior to applying multipliers? That's how I imagined it, and so in a government city the maintainance being zero wouldn't reduce the gold output at all. This would suggest that WS would be better here than in another city where everything else is presumed to be equal. Am I making a mistake?

13. Stolen Rutters

Stolen Rutters Deity

I don't think mainenance is pulled out before multipliers. At least the tooltip over the city gold income doesn't show it that way.

In my view, it's more important to get it close to a cluster of very large cities that are not near Versailles (if you own it) or the Capital.