Foreign corporation spread

dr_s

Prince
What determines whether you can spread a corporation to a foreign nation? I have a game where I have founded the only corp (Mining Inc), and I've successfully done some spreading, but in some territories I can't spread it, or I can't spread it any more. The AIs are not running state property, so that's not it. What else can prevent the spread of corporations to the AI?

Thanks.

Edit: Duh, my gold is too low, that's why. I can't seem to delete this, so I'll just ask, is there anything else that can prevent the spread.

Other blocking factors include: the target city doesn't have access to any of the required resources for that corp, also the foreign civ is running Merchantalism (no foreign corp). These factors prevent execs from even attempting to spread the business.

On the other hand, a low city population to number of corporations ratio increases the likelihood the spread attempt will fail. Spreading a corps to a city containing a competing corps is even more difficult (and costs more).

I have a different, yet related question: Is it wise to spread a corporation to another civ? Isn't that just giving them the benefits of the corp? I tend to not spread it. I know I can make money by doing so, but it doesn't seem worth it to me. Maybe if they were environmentalists, it might wreck them? I don't know.

It may sound painfully obvious, but from personal experience, make sure you have the gold required to fund the expansion in the treasury. Other than that mercantilism or no resources as has been stated.

In foreign expansion corps for profit. When I have done it I try to found something fairly useless e.g cereal mills or creative construction in my wall street city and go to town. I would keep Sushi and Ethanol/Aluminium if applicable to yourself.

I assume if you open sushi up in another civ they won't trade you their excess fish for example.

And obviously corp execs can also simply fail their mission, like missionaries do ;) The prob of that happening IIRC is 1/20 , so in average you will fail 5% of the corp spreads just by bad luck

Can you spread the standard ethanol or aluminum corporation to a civ that always has those resources? If so, it may be smart to found them, and then spread them to everyone with oil or aluminum. They would get no benefits and you'd get money.

I would not spread Mining Inc, pretty much ever. It is too powerful, and it would tend to make the other civs avoid trading you the resources that power the corporation. I would spread Sushi to a vassal (especially if I were trying to get enough votes to win a UN diplomatic victory.

The fun ones to spread for Profit would be Ethanol (especially if they have oil), and Civilized Jewelers (if they aren't going for a culture victory.)

When spreading corps abroad, remember that Civs stop trading you corpo resources if they have those corpos in any of their cities. So weigh the gold gain against the possible loss in corp benefits.

^^ When spreading Ethanol/Aluminum, they still get the research bonus. Not like that's usually an important aspect of them but still ;)

Top Bottom