1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Foreign financing.

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Stories & Tales' started by Dragonator, Jun 23, 2004.

1. Dragonator

Dragonator Chieftain

I am not new to the civilization games but I am new to Civ3. i have played many times civ1 and i found that i liked it so when i got my hands on this version of civ i couldn't wait to start playing. i only had one problem: i don't have an pc anymore. the old one is broken and i can't get a new one just now. so i had to play at my cousin's place.

anyway, i installed the game and started playing. when it got late i saved and went home. when i got back after a few days he deleted the game so i had to start over again as the Americans. when i began again i started a new random map at the 3rd level of difficulty, continents, with the only possible victory by conquest. as i used to do in civ1 i started building my civilization, i ceased the more important lands to myself, along with the important strategic resources (the only horse square and the only 2 iron squares on the continent) and started building up my civilization and researching technologies. i soon found out that if i want to win i had to have a superior both numerical and technological army at my side so i concentrated on researching military technology and educational and economic techs just to speed up research. when i discovered the monarchy i installed it as a permanent form of government because it is very useful during war times. when i had knights at my disposal i built up an army and declared war on my neighbor the Aztecs because they were threatening my horse square. i razed about 4 of their towns on the peninsula that had the horses and conquered 2 (the peninsula was 1/5mountains and hills, 1/5grasslands and forests and 3/5 tundra, it was up north, they had the tundra part an a little grassland). i also conquered 3 other cities of vital economical importance and their capital that had The Great Wall. but after that i lost 1/5 of my forces in battle and 3/5 were wounded or had to stay in the cities i conquered to eliminate the resistance so i offered them a peace offer that said they had to pay me 25gold/turn for the next 20 turns. they accepted. this way i had 4 more cities and 2 more towns at my disposal to contribute to the war effort. with the money they gave me i could speed up my research and advance way ahead of the other civilizations.

this way i found that i could make lots of money from the other civilizations. so i started trading, more goods with the other civs and made lots of money.
    but wait, the best part is just beginning, after i discovered the Music theory i started building JS Bach Cathedral, a very important wonder as you already know. the other civs didn't have this technology so they would pay me lots of money to get their hands on it. so i started to trade it all around the world, after i built half of the cathedral of course. i managed to squeeze 150 gold/turn out of them all (about 5 or 6 of them), with the regular income from my cities being of only 450 gold per turn (without expenses). this way i started using 100% on my research bar and speed up research considerably. one can do this trick with other techs as well. and this is a very good way to finance your other future expenses. i also used the leftover money to upgrade my elite knights to cavalery.