1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Foreign Policy and General Diplomacy

Discussion in 'Team CivFanatics' started by Caledorn, Jul 28, 2012.

1. 2metraninja

2metraninja Defender of Nabaxica

24 hours is OK. We can plan and agree on movements few turns ahead as Yossa said.

2. 1889

1889 Mayor of H-Marker Lake

Lets start with forging closer cooperation with WPC. They may want to have some input on who the 3rd wheel is gonna be.

My fantasy is that we negotiate a peace treaty between WPC and the Germans. The war bogs down without WPC taking anymore cities and the Germans realize thats just the how the game goes and don't take it personally and we all end up being friends. And then they help us get the religious victory. And then I win the lottery...

3. Caledorn

Caledorn Emperor

:lol: @ the lottery statement :D

I suspect part of the reason for that war is because WPC has had enough of waiting for the Germans to complete their turn. I also feel pretty certain that if WPC doesn't eliminate them, RB will be showing up to finish the job. As such, I doubt a peace treaty is possible unless the Germans start playing their turns in a more timely manner. :(

4. 2metraninja

I highly doubt this. Also I doubt the war have anything to do with not finished turns. Or at least the frustration of this. Otherwise, not finished turns may have gave hint to WPC that there is not much participation on the German team and/or they are not sure what to do and thats why they dont finish their turns.

On the other hand, to me Spanish Apolyton ending their turns in just 2 or 3 minutes aech time in s single login shows their team have made some plan for the near-medium future and then voted trust in the turnplayer to just move things without much discussion. No one can be that good to finish his turns for 2 minutes without much looking and thinking in-game.The wild idea of rushing AGG CHA Zulu comes to my head again :D

5. talonschild

talonschild Drive-By NESer

Remind me - has Spanish Apolyton met anyone else yet?

6. YossarianLives

YossarianLives Deity

Yes, they have met the Mayans (CivFr) and the English (Poly).

7. Maga_R

Maga_R Has quit civ

What do you consider traditional win? So far RB seems to be winning - how would that change?

LOL on audacity alone not saving us :lol: I agree - that is why I am trying to open discussion on what else we can do - I can provide audacity ;-)

8. Maga_R

Maga_R Has quit civ

I mostly trying to start discussion to specify more our plans. Religious theme is intriguing, although very vague at this point. I was thinking that religion could aid in solidifying the alliance. And if we get AP and have majority of votes, anybody going to war with us would suffer "world considers you a villain" happiness penalty. on the other hand, building AP can easily result in other teams dogpiling on us. We could try to prevent it by securing NAPs with most of the teams before building it, but that would just shift problem into the future. We can also promise our allies we would not vote us to victory for a given period of time, just use it for economic bonuses - anyway us having AP would make everybody else nervous. Although if they would choose peaceful way to counter -act - by spreading AP religion - that would be great economically. I was just thinking that positioning ourselves for possible religious economy/victory will not be that costly (just prioritizing GP over GS, offering missionaries for trades to allies) and may come handy. We will see how situation develops.

9. talonschild

Traditional would be Conquest. Failing that, Space. Failing that, Score.

RB would be taken down by numerical mismatch.

10. Maga_R

Maga_R Has quit civ

I think trying to take on RB now is definitely bad idea. I don't think alliance with RB will cause negativity with the team - that is the current state and they act very friendly with us so far.

11. Maga_R

Maga_R Has quit civ

Thanks for explanation

?

12. Maga_R

Maga_R Has quit civ

Why would we want a peace treaty between WPC and Germans?

13. Maga_R

Maga_R Has quit civ

Reason for WPC-German war is hillarious!

I am afraid RB would be playing it extra-safe, trying to run away with the score.

14. Caledorn

Caledorn Emperor

The thing about the religious victory.. If another team offered us to spread their religion in all our cities, would we accept that readily without suspicion?

15. Maga_R

Maga_R Has quit civ

If we are discussing long-shot plans, I would say to Germans that being attacked by barbarians, thy probably need some moral support and have problems with happiness. So since we cannot intervene military due to our treaties, we send them missionary now and will ask for repayment later.

At worst, we will have one city with our religion in Germany (or WPC, if they take that city. If Germans will use our missionary, they will likely do it in being city that will not be razed). If German survive, they should appreciate help, however original. In future, we will also get at least 1 :gold: out of it (I know it will not be much, but every :gold: counts)

16. 2metraninja

It rarely comes really to conquest. Usually at some point some team is so strong and have so stable diplomatic situation, that when his main competitor receives serious blow (big fleet lost, losing war, important cities razed, etc) the rival team renounces to continue the fight and then all the others just concede to the runner-up. Something like informal diplo-vote.

Space is not that hard to imagine either if many play cautious "safe and sound" as described lately :).

17. Maga_R

Maga_R Has quit civ

I do not know - we may try ;)

I was trying to find out rules for city gifting - somebody said it was banned peacefully?

What I would do if offered a religion, I would either keep missionary for later to have choices or spread it to a city far away from a capitol of player offering it - to avoid giving them espionage bonuses. And even if city gifting is prohibited, it is not that difficult to get rid of a city with unwanted religion - you can ask and ally to attack it and either raze it or take it. Either way, 1 less civ with that religion. So religious victory is definitely not easy to pull...

Less invasive - and slower - way of spreading our religion is to try to have open borders with everybody (part of our strategy anyway) - and invest in shrine, for religion autospread. I would do only this with RB, to not awaken their suspisions. SInce RB have their own religion, offering our will be awkward.

And other civs may think we are in it for the shrine money

18. 2metraninja

I think there is some misconception about religious victory. We dont need our religion spread to other teams beyond one tiny border city converted in the last turn. Actually we want to prevent other teams from spreading our own religion because that way, they will have weight in eventual votes.

19. 2metraninja

True. It comes at a cost of course - single declaration of war for just 1 turn can hurt both your income (via the bonus for sustained peace for trade routes) with hundreds gold per turn. But this is for well established fat empires in the end of the game. Early it is OK to do that.

The biggest thing we can do to this to happen is they never see it coming until it is too late. There are few players who will consider that and maybe notice, and maybe they just wont, or they will have no what to do at the time they realize what is going on.

20. talonschild

Back when I said numerical mismatch - I meant RB getting dogpiled. I couldn't resist making it sound all academic.