1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Foreign Policy: Apolyton

Discussion in 'Team CivFanatics' started by talonschild, Jul 29, 2012.

1. talonschild

talonschild Drive-By NESer

This thread is to archive dealings with Apolyton. Any information we have on them and also our current attitudes and relations.

Apolyton (Elizabeth - Ottomans)
    Leader Traits: Financial and Philosophical
    Unique Unit: Janissary
    Unique Building: Hammam

Starting Techs: Agriculture and The Wheel
    Starting Unit: Warrior

Current Status: Unmet, neutral

Fond of roleplay

2. 2metraninja

2metraninja Defender of Nabaxica

More good news, team.

We just made contact with Apolyton. Here is what MZprox have sent to me in a PM:

3. Aivoturso

Aivoturso King

Excellent news, indeed. They are frank and to the point. I like.

So they want to get rid of RB, eh? Not a big surprise. I think we should be frank as well and tell them that we have NAP with RB but that we share the sentiment and will work to solve the problem after the NAP expires.

4. talonschild

I'd say we ought to mention RB explicitly as a target for future cooperation. They recognize the threat, as we do.

Note that they refer to people by their civ choice, not their site.

A proposal:

5. YossarianLives

YossarianLives Deity

This is excellent news! I think Apolyton can become an important friend and ally to us, especially in light of this opening message.

Let's just send them a short acknowledgement message and work on something a little more put-together for them. Any takers on ambassadorship? 2metra seems to have a good history with MZprox.

Remember, they can help us by putting pressure on the Spanish flank. Or much more importantly, they can threaten the UCiv flank if this does become a 2 v 1 against us. They should be located directly east of UCiv, if my understanding of the map is accurate.

Also, their upfront and immediate comments about RB are very encouraging. A three-way alliance of the #2, #3 and #4 teams against RB might be exactly what we need on T175 to lay down the pain. :hammer:

6. 2metraninja

Very good points about Apolyton being next to Uciv and SpAp, we may use it,

Also,MZ asked for OB. Do we give them?

7. YossarianLives

YossarianLives Deity

I say yes to OB

8. SilentConfusion

SilentConfusion Emperor

It looks like our draft offers OB, but their message didn't mention it. Or do you mean Apolyton offered OB in-game? I say OB is fine with Apolyton and close cooperation since again they are not next to us and are next to our enemies (like CP).

9. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I never yielded

Agree with OB with Poly

Agree with telling them about the NAP and agreeing to join their squash RB alliance.

10. talonschild

Yep. Same. Let's get this coalition business moving. Have they met CP yet?

11. Sommerswerd

Also, did anyone notice that comment about the Zulus just wanting to die with honor? Is it possible that Poly heard something like this from Zulu, that they are hoping that we just put them out of their misery?

12. Sommerswerd

And I think we can even be more explicit with Poly that we understand what they mean about RB and we agree. They gave us a wink wink nod nod message basically saying "Hey were not saying we should band together do detroy RB or anything, but... wink-wink"

I think we can respond with the same. I mean what are we worried about? That we lose the "element of surprise" on RB when the NAP ends? There will be no such thing. RB offered a NAP to turn 200 and we stuck with 175... They know damn well why. They will be locked, stocked and ready to rock on turn 175, I will bet a beer on that for sure.

13. Maga_R

Maga_R Has quit civ

My reading was that they just wanted to flatter us, as in "silly Zulus DoW you = they would die soon".

14. 2metraninja

MZ is not of those who flatten much. Judging from what I have seen about him, he have cold evaluative mind and he sees geopolitics and reasons-consequences relations very good. Also, I can say (shamelessly self-praising myself :D) he have fought both against me and side by side with me and he knows what I am able of in war. So he knows Spaniards cant really win this war, and he is telling us what he already knows and believes.

15. Maga_R

Maga_R Has quit civ

My main point was that I think it was MZ's opinion, not something that he has heard from Spaniards. OK, may be flattery was not a good word - I more meant that it seemed to me that MZ just wanted to be nice and deservedly praise 2metra's military skills. Or simply mention that he knows what would happen.

16. 2metraninja

Yes, yes, now I got it.

I had read it like this too.

17. Aivoturso

Aivoturso King

It could also simply be that guys in Apolyton have at some point prior to the game had some contact with Spanish Apolyton and they could therefore have some insight into SpAp psyche. Now that I think of it, SpAp DoW implies also that they want to go down in a blaze of glory.

18. YossarianLives

YossarianLives Deity

FYI, Apolyton has offered OB in game. As stated earlier, I say we accept.

19. 2metraninja

Yes, lets accept.

20. 2metraninja

So, yesterday I added MZ at gtalk and we had few chats trough the day with some pauses between them: