1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Foreign Policy: CivFr

Discussion in 'Team CivFanatics' started by talonschild, Jul 29, 2012.

1. talonschild

talonschild Drive-By NESer

This thread is to archive dealings with CivFr. Any information we have on them and also our current attitudes and relations.

Civfr (Willem - Maya)
    Leader Traits: Financial and Creative
    Unique Unit: Holkan
    Unique Building: Ball Court

Starting Techs: Mysticism and Mining
    Starting Unit: Warrior

Current Status: Unmet, neutral

Should be communicated with in French - French speakers: Bowsling, talonschild

2. Bowsling

Bowsling Deity

So we're about to finally meet the Mayans! :D

I assume we still want to at least give communications in French a try. How do we want to approach them? Do we want a NAP, or should we go further? What about EP spending, relations with CivPlayers and RealmsBeyond, and with SpAp? What do we want to achieve with them in the long term?

3. YossarianLives

YossarianLives Deity

Yeah, let's definitely start getting something ready to translate into French. How do we know we're meeting them next turn, btw?

Personally, I think just a NAP for now is fine. I'd like to know a little more about their position and general diplomatic attitude before we decide to ally to closely with them. Just don't see much to gain, unless it turns out they can eventually help us against Spaniards or RB or UCiv.

I want to put our EP's against them, at least until we get their graphs (or we need to go back to the Spaniards if we lose those graphs). It would be a good idea to ask them about their relations with the other teams, though

4. 2metraninja

2metraninja Defender of Nabaxica

We have met CivFR. I did sent them short in-game greeting.

They have less cities than us, but they have Calendar and it seems they already settled their jungle (sugar).

5. 2metraninja

We need message to them.

What we want included in it? OB? 50 turns NAP? Something else?

6. talonschild

Both of those would be a good idea, I think.

7. YossarianLives

YossarianLives Deity

Here's a stab at a draft:

If we can get OB with them, we might be able to pay a nice surprise visit to the Spaniards' eastern borders with our chariot.

8. Bowsling

Bowsling Deity

How's this? :)

In English:

talonschild, could you look over the French version for grammar and such?

EDIT: Crosspost with Yossarian. :lol:

9. YossarianLives

YossarianLives Deity

Haha, funny cross-post. We can use your message, Bowsling, especially if you'll be the acting ambassador. The request for the NAP comes off as sounding a little demanding in the English version, but other than that I think it looks great.

10. 2metraninja

Very good job to have two drafts to choose from. Well done, team :goodjob:

11. talonschild

Oh, I feel so embarrassed about my French. Nicely done. I see no glaring errors, and in fact the only thing to note would be that it's the Mausolée d'Halicarnasse, or (for the absolute literal translation) the Mausolée de Mausole.

12. Bowsling

Bowsling Deity

Well, I did use a grammar-checking site to smooth a few things over. :mischief: Mausolée d'Harnicasse it the way the wonder appears in CivIV when set to French.

I was worried that the NAP-request sounded a bit demanding, but I was at my wit's end trying to figure out what to say in French. Does anyone have any suggestions for that?

I'd say that the two messages aren't really mutually exclusive. The question really is whether we want to ask them for help against SpAp or not. If we do want to, we can easily work Yossarian's message in with mine.

13. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I never yielded

How about we replace
    with
    English version:
    becomes
    Spelling might be off, :blush: my French is amateur at best.

14. Bowsling

Bowsling Deity

Yes! For sure.

15. YossarianLives

YossarianLives Deity

Cool. I will send Bowsling's message with Sommers' revision in the next couple hours unless someone gets to it before me

Edit: Sent

16. 2metraninja

So French have dismissed our OB request. Why I wonder.

17. YossarianLives

YossarianLives Deity

Probably just their turn-player (or someone just taking a look around) not wanting to commit before having time to talk it over with the team. I think I might have acted a little premature sending the in-game offer at the same time as sending the email message.

I am a little worried that there has been complete silence from them in the 4 days since we have met them. Doesn't bode well for close cooperation in the future.

18. 2metraninja

One good point Bistrita raised to me is we might be better off without NAP with CivFR in the next 20 turns. If we are going to capture all of the Spanish cities and territory, we might step on each-other toes with French over some land or even cities in the east, closer to their borders. French can use while all Spanish army is moved west to be thrown at our advancing armies to snatch an empty city or two from Spaniards, taking away from us our rightful war-bounty. Even if they settle 1-2 bold cities to cut away some Spanish land from us, we might be forced to jump at them on speed to reclaim those. It is true they are strong nation, but our army then will be unmatched and most of all - concentrated on the right place, where the French will have to just then start to produce army or move existing units to try defend their new holdings. So we might be forced to fight a war, otherwise we would be deprived from reward and benefits for which we put considerable efforts in.

19. 2metraninja

Is there anything we can do right now other than hope French dont answer our NAP proposal? How one retracts a proposal without making clean he changed his mind and intentions and dont want to sign it anymore?

20. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I never yielded

Like this:

Remember that we asked for NAP AND OB in our letter. If we really want to retract the NAP offer, then we can just treat the two as one proposal that they must accept on the whole. They refuse one, so it is a refusal of the other as well.

This way they can not interperet us as withdrawing the NAP offer, but instead it is they who refused it:).