1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Foreign Policy: CivFr

Discussion in 'Team CivFanatics' started by talonschild, Jul 29, 2012.

1. YossarianLives

YossarianLives Deity

Good question. We should follow-up with them asking for more details. I was actually really surprised to see this message from them from out of the blue. Maybe they're looking for friends now if they think the situation with Poly could lead to war?

Am I just blind, or do we not have a Diplomacy Log for CivFr? I don't want to create another thread if we already have one, but I didn't see it.

2. 2metraninja

2metraninja Defender of Nabaxica

Oh, my... I though this was the Uciv who sent us this. Way better that it is the CivFR guys. As I am still afraid we can be roaded in Taj from the jungle or some other mean surprise if the Spaniards had the balls to sneak there units.

Looking at the map between Spanish and French lands in the north end, there is a cottage on hill in the no one's land. This must be the barbarian city Spaniards captured - Carcasian or what was the name - and then they removed their units? They could not had be planning something against CivFR while at war with us on the other front, right? It still makes sense to ask them about the Spanish units of course.

3. dratboy

dratboy Chieftain

They want to take things nice and slow. ;)

4. 2metraninja

In response to CivFR, we must thank them with kind words about warning us and tell them our intelligence tells us RB are preparing very big overflow in their capitol, which we fear might be to start Taj Mahal, so CivFR must not give Marble to RB, or otherwise we risk all losing the game to RB having second of their enormous Golden Ages.

Few words will be just good, but we must send this quick.

5. 2metraninja

I will at least send soon a message to CivFR saying:

If no one objects.

6. talonschild

talonschild Drive-By NESer

:thumbsup:

7. YossarianLives

YossarianLives Deity

Yeah, sorry, no time for civ yesterday so I couldn't contribute. If that hasn't been sent yet, I can send it in a couple hours.

Where is ambassador bowsling? We may need to do some blitz diplomacy with CivFr depending on what happens between them and Poly.

Edit: Sent.

8. Aivoturso

Aivoturso King

2metra, is the fear that CivFr could give Marble to RB based on anything else but a worst case scenario? Anyway, I agree that it probably would be a good idea to try to prevent any possibility of that. So if we want to initiate diplo over this, do we try do this personally or should we leave this bit of a dirty work to CP? CP at least have a longer diplo history with CivFr so they might have better chance in pulling their strings. Of course the drawback is that we would leave an essential piece of diplo out of our hands, but personally I think that CivFr is likely to respond amiably to CP's request at that point.

9. YossarianLives

YossarianLives Deity

That's a great point Aivo. CP can probably get more mileage than we can, since they have had a longer relationship. Also, this keeps our hands clean if we need to side with Poly against CivFr for whatever reason. Unfortunately, it seems that both the CP and CivFr diplo departments move very slowly, so we may still have to take some of this on ourselves.

I believe the fear is just worst-case scenario. I haven't checked, but CivFr may be the only team with marble connected that could potentially trade it to RB. I don't believe there is anything else that has made us think CivFr might be planning this.

10. Maga_R

Maga_R Has quit civ

What about being even more pro-active and considering paying CivFr to not to lend marble to RB? We can only pay after researching Nat and there is always risk we will be over-paying. But I understand that we really want Taj. I am afraid that if RB would offer to pay CivFr generously for a couple turns marble loan, there are no reasons for CivFr not to agree.

The best solution maybe be to offer small gift to CivFr anyway and tell them we would match any RB's offer for Marble loan. That would be some delicate diplomacy, though, and the huge risk is that CivFr will learn from us how valuable their marble would be to RB and they would contact RB soliciting offers :(

I do not have enough experience in MP to judge which scenario is more likely, just wanted to point out that we can always overbid RB - either preventively or after they have made their offer to CivFr.

11. Bowsling

Bowsling Deity

I think that trying to bribe them to not sell marble to RB would be disastrous, given the way they've responded to our previous diplomacy.

Is there any hope for preventing the Poly-CivFr war? I'm afraid I don't quite understand how a simple settling dispute has turned into almost certain war.

12. YossarianLives

YossarianLives Deity

Apolyton settled two extremely aggressive cities with no reinforcements or road network. Here is a picture of the area from the turn we got Poly's maps (T124, two turns ago).

Spoiler :

Last turn CivFr sent a settler between Poly's core and these two outposts, located 6-6 (east-east) from the Corn on T125. MZprox says that if they settle to cut off those cities, he will whip an army and attack.

Also as a complete aside, the barb city that the Spaniards took is located just southeast of no please (nom svp). This is where the Spaniards had those troops they emailed us about.

13. talonschild

talonschild Drive-By NESer

Point of interest - "nom" means "name". "Non" is "no".

14. YossarianLives

YossarianLives Deity

Right, I googled that a few days ago, and misremembered the translation.

15. Bowsling

Bowsling Deity

Okay. I'm kind of at a loss on how to deal with that, especially with city trading forbidden. Both city sites are utterly ridiculous. Why can't they just get along?

16. 2metraninja

:) Pride? Sense of justice? Fear of the other?

17. vranasm

vranasm Deity

to be honest I think Poly stepped a bit over with the Izmir.
    It's absolutely obvious blocking city since they skipped 1 reasonable location with corn to settle the river (if they settled Izmir 1N they can have a case for having nice spot with corn, cows and river tiles...)

If I would be CivFr actually I wouldn't waste hammers on settler to settle inbetween, but used those hammers on couple axes take those 2 cities and then offer peace :-D.

does anyone else is ridiculed by the fact that all 3 cities are missing out on the horses?
    (CivFr could probably settle nom svp 1N and it would be still fine city...)

18. 2metraninja

I think the same. But, everyone have his truth and point of view.

This is another approach to the case.

Maybe they both have horses from somewhere else?

19. YossarianLives

YossarianLives Deity

Yeah, that definitely sounds good to me! Only problem is if causes any rift with Poly.

20. Caledorn

Caledorn Emperor

This just got in a few hours ago: