1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Foreign Policy: RealmsBeyond

Discussion in 'Team CivFanatics' started by talonschild, Jul 29, 2012.

1. talonschild

talonschild Drive-By NESer

This thread is to archive dealings with RB. Any information we have on them and also our current attitudes and relations.

Realms Beyond (Pacal - Egypt)
    Leader Traits: Financial and Expansive
    Unique Unit: War Chariot
    Unique Building: Obelisk

Starting Techs: Agriculture and The Wheel
    Starting Unit: Warrior

Current Status: Cordial relations, NAP to turn 100, probable no settling past the oasis.

Messages should be short and to the point

2. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I never yielded

3. Caledorn

Caledorn Emperor

Here is the initial message that was sent off to Team RB on their Team email (rb.diplo {at} gmail {dot} com) from our EMail. I'm just waiting for cav scout to log out, so I can log in and send them a notification ingame diplo that they have mail. ;)

Edit: An ingame message has also been sent to them now. :)

4. Sommerswerd

Great :goodjob: Thanks Caledorn for taking the initiative!

5. Bowsling

Bowsling Deity

Awesome! :thumbsup:

6. grant2004

grant2004 Citizen

Sounds great, I'm glad we were able to turn that out so quickly, I'll be interested to see RBs response.

7. YossarianLives

YossarianLives Deity

RB recently seem to distrust NAPs, especially long-term ones. I wouldn't be surprised if they ask to lower the length, or refuse us outright. Parkin ran away with his first game on RB with almost no military because he signed long NAPs with all his neighbors. Since then sentiment seems to be that NAPs are too restrictive and "unfun".

I bet they will ask us not to move to that hill on their corner if it will reveal their capital. We should start planning now how we would respond to that.

8. Sommerswerd

By sending ours out first, we put them in the position of having to spend a while discussing what to say. Our message is short but has a ton of substance. We addressed the old bad blood, which they will want to talk about (whether or not they believe/trust us). We also told them that we didn't meet anyone else so the espy hawks will need to express their suspicion that we are making excuses to put all our espy on them. Most importantly, we offered a NAP, so they will have to discuss that.

The good news for us is that by being first, THEY are the ones who have to react to us rather than the other way around.

So now, we need to start talking about what the next step is... Lets assume that they respond at least semi-favorably, rather than ignore us... Are there ideas about a border? What if they ask us for a no-espy treaty (they will obviously ;)). Thoughts on our responses are important so we dont end up with folks complaining that they didnt get to offer suggestions when we respond quickly (and we should always be aiming to respond quickly...

Regular and rapid communications are the key to alliances.

9. Sommerswerd

Great insights:goodjob:

I did not know that about RB. I hope they are smart enough to know that everyone else doesnt play by RB rules/assumptions and that an outright refusal (or ignoring the request) for a NAP is a generally a 100% guarantee of early War.

Obviously we are moving to the hill that exposes their Capital UNLESS they accept the NAP, right? What is their leverage to ask us not to expose their capital if they are not going to accept a NAP?

Frankly, the only reason they would ask us not to expose the capital is if it is undefended. If it is defended, they would want us to see it. So if they are stupid enough to refuse a NAP AND demand we don't expose the capital then obviously we are going to expose their empty capital and then move in and raze/capture their capital... There really is no choice if they are really playing that poorly.

10. cav scout

cav scout The Continuum

See my map in the "Turns 1-50" thread for my thoughts on a boundary and also a response for when they ask/insist we turn our warrior away.

It seems the map maker has placed a strategic resource (the stone) basically halfway between us and RB. He has also placed an oasis right at the halfway point as a convenient landmark. And who knows, there might be another strategic resource hidden in the desert hill...

11. grant2004

grant2004 Citizen

3 people from our team logged into the game this turn when first contact was discovered. RB has now had 3 additional people log in and out of the game. One could be their normal demo hacking screenshot. The rest of those people logging in indicates to me that the message has been received.

Maybe this is a way we can detect contact between teams? I wonder if every team will respond this way, with multiple players checking the game in quick succession?

12. YossarianLives

YossarianLives Deity

For good will, we can give them the last known location of the bear (and lion?) in our next message, since we know how brave Sir Goldilocks feels about those wild animals.
    :D

13. whb

whb King

Tricky.

By rights exploring shouldn't make us the bad guy -- telling us not to explore is an unfriendly act. (Starting out by actively denying each other information, rather than trading information and helping each other.)

But it'd require quite some political skills to convince them we're not being the bad guy.

14. Sommerswerd

Guys remember that RB has the dreaded War Chariots :yuck:. What is our ETA for Spears? We should actually prioritize showing a Spear ASAP.

15. YossarianLives

YossarianLives Deity

We should complete BW on T43, and by that time Hunting should only take us a few turns to complete if we go for that next.

Based on the timing of their techs, I don't think RB has researched AH yet. They could be working on it right now, since they've gone 10 turns without a new tech. Getting visibility on their graphs will let me keep a closer eye on any WC builds. Does anyone know the "magic number" of espionage points where we can both see each other's graphs, but nothing else? I think it's like 43, or something.

16. YossarianLives

YossarianLives Deity

Just a note of acknowledgement, for now:

17. Sommerswerd

Magic number is 34, but it goes up if the target puts espy on you. If we are both putting espy on only each other for about 15 turns we will prob start seeing graphs.

18. Caledorn

Caledorn Emperor

Would it be polite or just redundant to respond something along the lines of:

19. Sommerswerd

20. 2metraninja

2metraninja Defender of Nabaxica

What Captain Sommers said.

And about the irony - fusk that lusk :eek: