Foreign Policy: RealmsBeyond

We should be able to shoot for Mono if we miss out on Poly. This is our current tech path:

Partial Hunting --> Poly --> Finish Hunting --> AH --> Writing --> Maths

If we determine RB is going for Poly and we can't beat them, our Tech path can then be:

Hunting --> AH --> Poly / Masonry --> Masonry / Poly --> Mono

I would not want to switch to Medi at this point. Since we're not considering Oracle, Medi is basically a dead end tech, while Poly still holds use even if we lose Hinduism.

I think it is a safe bet to assume they're running binary research. The key question seems to be that do they need to stop to fill their coffins, or do they have enough dough to rush up to Poly/Medi whichever they pick.

And with that, asking them seems rather redundant and unnecessary. Great job, Yossarian :)

I just had a thought; RB did not meet anyone last turn, they revolted to Slavery, which is why they did not accumulate any EP's against us. We'll see next turn that they are back to devoting full Espy on us.

The T46 Demos show one team with only 1 GNP, which can only happen during a Revolt. At the start of T47, RB logged in and planted a new city. It would make sense that they made the switch to Slavery while they had a settler in route. Many thanks to Caledorn, who logged in during the final minutes of the turn to capture the Demos screenshot, or we would have missed this entirely.

I could be wrong, maybe they really did meet someone last turn, but a revolt to Slavery makes a lot more sense to me. We can check to see what civics they're using, right?

I just had a thought; RB did not meet anyone last turn, they revolted to Slavery, which is why they did not accumulate any EP's against us.
LOL, I saw someone with 1 GNp and noticed to myself, but did not made the connection. Great join once more time, Yossa.

And I guess I need to post the screens I took last night. Sorry for that :(

EDIT: Cal did that already. So yes, in the GNP of the demographics it shows someone is in revolt.

Not that they would have told us anyway. (I can bet 2 beers on that)

Hey, that's an unfair bet as I can't disprove you even if I took it :p

And you never cease to amaze me, Yossarian! Well spotted!

I could be wrong, maybe they really did meet someone last turn, but a revolt to Slavery makes a lot more sense to me. We can check to see what civics they're using, right?
You are absolutely right, sir!
Spoiler :

Interesting thing is how they named their second (?) city :)

"Mansa's muse" ? Why is that?

I know it is the name of one of their GOTMs, but why this one exactly? Yossa, can you remember anything from this GOTM? It was like 3-4-5 months ago...

Or it have connection with us? With our team and leader? What meaning is put in it? Mind-game?

So, assuming RB did go into Revolt last turn, that would push back their completion date to T51. If they needed to save gold for one turn, that could push it back further to T52. They are ahead of us in Turn Order, so they win in the event of a tie. Also, keep in mind that these are estimates, I could be off here.

Right now, we could get Poly by T50 if we don't switch to Hunting (or T51 if we already switched off last turn, which is possible). However, this would guarantee that Terasvin is the Holy City. Personally, I'm less than enthusiastic about Terasvin as a Holy City, so I say stick with the plan and hope for Judaism in a good location if we miss out on Hinduism.

Edit: Regarding RB's city names. RB started off primarily as a site that hosted Epics and Adventures, which are their versions of what I understand GOTM's to be. Basically, everyone plays out the same game to see who gets the highest score based on the particular variant of the Adventure or Epic. Once MP got popular, this aspect kind of fell to the wayside, but there have been recent efforts by T-Hawk to bring them back. The most recently completed Adventure (#53) was Mansa's Muse, and basically the variant was that you started with 5,000,000 gold, but there were restrictions on how gold could be spent. I'm thinking the logic is that this is their Gold city (and it has the bonus of playing a mind trick with us). Focal Point is the name of Epic #23 from way back in 2008. I don't remember it, but here is the description:

Are you tired of the usual leaders you met in your games? Are you tired of using Alexander to keep other leaders in check? Is Monty and his war like nature a joke because of his lack of teeth? Does Mansa Musa only make a good tech trading buddy because of his financial trait? Do you wish that you had other means of controlling leaders, rewarding ones that you like and punishing ones that you didn't like?

Are you looking for a game that requires a non-cookie cutter approach? Looking for a space victory that is less about just cruising to victory and more about worrying about the other leaders? Or a cultural attempt that holds a real possibility of having to fight off the hordes during the last 20 turns? Looking for a game that requires a different strategic approach instead of the usual metal grab? Or where you will need to carefully plan the macro elements of your game (city location, specialization, technology selection, unit & building production) without the need to super-micro your play to overcome AI tweaked bonuses?

In this game, you start in the centre of the world with 2 scouts to fuel your early land exploration while the AIs just get a single archer. Your task is to turn this early advantage and any information that you can glean from the above game description into a winning approach. The main aim of this game is to test your strategic ability, to have fun and to set a theme for an entertaining report.

Edit 2: Here is the link to the Sponsor's comments on the game. Basically, it seems like a game with the opponents hand-picked to give specific challenges, and no strategic resources available to the player.

Basically, it seems like a game with the opponents hand-picked to give specific challenges, and no strategic resources available to the player.
Hmm, that sounds interesting. Very interesting.

Oops- I noticed that RB had revolted when I logged in to check the game earlier, I just forgot to mention it (been super busy and haven't had much time to post- sorry guys!)

It's Ctrl-Tab that brings up the event log in game I believe. I always like to take a look when i'm turn player to see if anyone has founded a religion, spawned a GP etc.

Scooter just notified me that their response is ready, but that RB is down at the moment. He will send it as soon as their site is back up (Just like us, they save their drafts on their forum) :)

I dont know. I guess it is more of a higher diplomatic decision - do we want to make tension and distrust between them or we want that all of our 3 teams to clap hands and hug each-other and live happy together ever since then.

RB are not afraid of early war. Every reasonable player must avoid early wars, unless they are against incompetent players, where the invested efforts can actually repay in actually capturing goods. Or when they are in a dire position geographically and have no chance to build good economy.

So basically, RB would want to meet WPC to get a diplomacy going (not allowing us for too long being the only ones who speak with WPC) and also for a possible discount for known nations knowing it on technologies.

Top Bottom