1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Foreign Policy: RealmsBeyond

Discussion in 'Team CivFanatics' started by talonschild, Jul 29, 2012.

1. 2metraninja

2metraninja Defender of Nabaxica

More precisely, my idea was to make an impression as honest and open guys to WPC by telling them about our initial fears. Then to flatten their ego by saying them how strong and badass they look to us. But there was strong opposition to telling them this.

Then it would made sense to tell them about our surrounding in response to their honest description of their land in return, but then there are suspicions that we must not tell them.

Espionage is another thing that the team would like we to just skip.

And they never actually agreed to exchange information about teams met and their locations. We are waiting their agreement on this.

In the end, is there anything of substance we have to tell them or I just write some "blah-blah - how are you - blah - the weather is great - blah" message to keep the feeling we are responsive and talkative guys?

edit: moving this in to WPC diplomacy thread.

2. Caledorn

Caledorn Emperor

As far as I can tell, there is enough basis for a good response in the WPC thread? :) I can pop over to the other thread and make a summary if you want?

3. 2metraninja

I did that already, but if you think I am missing something, please add it as paragraph.

4. 2metraninja

Something interesting I saw on the RB site - there was a post from few days ago announcing Team RB in the ISDG2012 accepts players - just apply. To me this shows that the decrease in interest hit them and most of the over-exalted players are just dropped and no longer contribute to the team.

So the uber- monster RB might be with few heads less than we feared (literally and metaphorically :D ) which is actually good for us.

"He conquers, who endures" can be a good motto to try to follow for our own team :) Stick together team!

5. YossarianLives

YossarianLives Deity

Definitely their site being down for some time shook things up for them, and they might be struggling with retaining players more than they thought they would. I don't think we should keep waiting for RB's response that was supposed to come once they got their forums back up. Since we'll be meeting the Spaniards soon, and we have an agreement with RB to let them know when we meet teams, we should probably come up with a draft for our next message to them. It seems like we decided against trying to create any tensions between RB and WPC. Should we instead drop hints that we are very happy with WPC for being so friendly and forthcoming with info, as grant suggested, in order to imply that RB should also be more forthcoming with info in order to stay on good terms with us?

At any rate, I just wanted to get discussions about a message to RB started up again since our last communication with them was some time ago.

6. 2metraninja

Sounds like a good play to me.

7. Caledorn

Caledorn Emperor

I have forgot to post that I sent scooter a short notification about us letting WPC know about their whereabouts. He said that the speed of diplo work has been well ahead of the speed of the actual game, so I read that as that there's simply not much for them to share at the moment. I'm slightly suspicious, as it almost seems as if they have discontinued scouting and are relying on our treaty to meet other teams..

8. 2metraninja

LOL, that would be lazy on their side :D

9. YossarianLives

YossarianLives Deity

:lol: Lazy yes, and not necessarily a bad thing for us. The downside is that they might be limiting their scouts to concentrate on building up their own infrastructure, but the upside is that the only information they have about our shared lands and neighbors is limited to what we decide to tell them. I kind of like being in the driver's seat in this regard. These games are definitely won diplomatically, and if we hold all the knowledge, then we have all the power.

10. talonschild

talonschild Drive-By NESer

Get the message ready. Preparation is never a bad thing.

I do sincerely hope they are crippled. No offense, RB, but this is OUR game. And I'm not above winning through sheer commitment. (Actually, that sounds like the best way to win - through the determination of your site's membership)

I don't know yet how what RB is presently doing (or not doing) fits into our plan, but I'm sure it's All According To It, once we get around to formulating it.

Best if we drop hints on that sharing thing.

11. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I'll sit with you

This...

I have been busy busy busy, (busy playing lots of civ too:)) so I am just now trying to get caught up, but 2metra's words ring so true. This above all is plan A to win this thing. Stay active as a team and outlast the inconstant ones who drop off... A teams strength is in numbers, and as these drop off the team dies.

12. 2metraninja

Yes, this is what I was going to say. They believe too much that going the best micro and playing at its maximum will inevitably win them the game. Which I hope we with active diplomacy to prove them wrong :)

13. Bowsling

Bowsling Deity

So they built Stonehenge - are we preparing a "congratulatory" message? They now have valuable map info (a centered minimap) that both of us know they have. We should certainly make sure they diverge at least some info from their centered map.

14. 2metraninja

I would want we to skip congratulating them. Why is that? We are mad at them for stealing it from us mere 2 turns before we get it. If someone congratulates me on such thing I will start suspect him for envying and secretly hating me.

At the end, this is what I call a real hypocrisy. (and not telling only selected parts of the truths :mischief:)

15. 2metraninja

As for the centered mini-map - can you please explain how exactly this works normally? And do anyone have idea how this could work with toroidal map and what info it can give us?

16. Caledorn

Caledorn Emperor

17. 2metraninja

Just write "Luckily our relationships go smooth considering their scary resourseless UU and they shared info about their surroundings, which seems similar to ours."

Nothing ridiculous about this.

18. talonschild

talonschild Drive-By NESer

For one, it could give us a concrete idea of just how big the world is, based on the dimensions of the map frame vs the size of their revealed territory.

For another, based on ours and RB's positions on the map, we might be able to deduce some things about the shape of the map.

19. Caledorn

Caledorn Emperor

Thank you - that's a much better way of wording it than just about anything I was able to come up with. :goodjob:

Edit: Updated draft

20. YossarianLives

YossarianLives Deity

I like the revised draft. I don't think we ned to include an exact tile count, letting them know the Spaniards are to our east is sufficient. I think it's fine to congratulate them on Hinduism and SH, and ask if SH gave them any new map info we should know about, then leave the ball in their court to decide if they want to tell us anything. That should be revealing as far as their intentions with us.