1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Foreign Policy: RealmsBeyond

Discussion in 'Team CivFanatics' started by talonschild, Jul 29, 2012.

1. Caledorn

Caledorn Emperor

I have no clear opinion on whether or not to congratulate them. I don't think it would be a bad idea to congratulate them though, and I definitely wouldn't consider it hypocrisy. Yes, they snatched it under our noses, but it lets them know that we are aware of their actions, and I'd say it's good sportsmanship to acknowledge they've beaten us to something without any bad feelings.

I'd like more feedback though :) 1 against, 1 for is not enough for me to make a consensus. :)

2. talonschild

talonschild Drive-By NESer

I'd like to say something. And we can hardly press them for information while pretending ignorance.

3. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I'll sit with you

We dont need to tell them we lost, but we should still congradulate them

4. RegentMan

RegentMan Deity

I agree- congratulate them on both accounts but don't leave any hint we were going for them, too.

5. Caledorn

Caledorn Emperor

I will include the congratulations in the next draft tomorrow then. I hope it's ready to be sent tomorrow evening European time.

Scooter has also informed me via gtalk that they have met the Germans. Or rather, the Germans have met RB, coming in from the north if their territory. He would get back to me on their whereabouts when they knew more. I saw no need to inform him we already know where they are at present time, so I just responded with a simple Thank you. :)

6. Aivoturso

Aivoturso King

Should we send the message? We haven't yet informed RB that we've met the Spaniards, have we?

7. Caledorn

Caledorn Emperor

I just updated the draft. Please give thoughts and feedback if I should change anything - especially on the scouting information/request. Unless there's any more feedback I'll send the message sometime tonight. :)

8. grant2004

grant2004 Citizen

Looks good overall, one small stylistic thing:

I'd just remove one of the "again now" to avoid repetition.

9. Caledorn

Caledorn Emperor

Thanks. :) For some reason I have a tendency to do things like that. No idea why. *scratches my head*

10. Caledorn

Caledorn Emperor

I corrected that error and made the sentence a bit neater. I also made a last minute amendment that we have met Team UCiv and that we'll get back with more info when we have established contact with them.

Quick link to draft

11. Caledorn

Caledorn Emperor

Seems nobody has any objections, so I'll send the message in about 15-30 minutes then :)

12. Bowsling

Bowsling Deity

Sounds good! :thumbsup:

13. Caledorn

Caledorn Emperor

And the message is off :)

14. YossarianLives

YossarianLives Deity

Great, glad to see the message sent. Lots of activity for our diplomats now!

In our next message to RB, I definitely think we need to revisit our border area, since we've given them a good while to scout out the area, and we want to start looking that way soon.

15. Caledorn

Caledorn Emperor

Meh. Using GTalk on the phone is slightly a mess when I forget to post the transcript here. Sorry about this guys - this transcript is several days old and I should have posted it a lot sooner.

Anyways, here is the latest transcript

16. YossarianLives

YossarianLives Deity

Thanks for sharing that chat. There's some good info there. Scooter's tone sounds really friendly and open, which is a good thing, but Scooter is a friendly guy, so this does not necessarily reflect the feelings of the rest of the team.

First off, the Germans are ignoring them, which is interesting. Do we have a German speaker on our team to help with communications? Knowing where they are and who they have met, we can probably get a draft ready for them.

Secondly, they're still not scouting very well. Both teams they met have found them, not the other way around. We haven't seen them come over our way, so who knows where they are exploring, if anywhere. Their power has been below or near our own power, and since they have more pop and tech than us, it doesn't leave much room for units. Regardless, we should push for a border agreement with them in our next message.

The map info was nice. See the Map Speculation thread for more on this.

It does sound like they want an early Great Prophet, which means they'll want to spread their religion, which means Medi or Mono. Hopefully they don't go Mono. If we do miss out on our own religion, though, they should be willing to share theirs.

And finally, where is their official message to us? This is the second time Scooter has told us in chat that a message was pending, but no message has followed on either occassion.

17. Caledorn

Caledorn Emperor

I'd just like to comment on this one quickly. I have more comments on the rest, but this one needs to be adressee quickly.

I expect scooter posts these transcripts in the RB forums just like I do (when I remember it *spanks self*). And in a more uninformal chat I had with him he conceded that at the time being he simply doesn't have much to bring to the diplo table at all. So I think he is postponing the official message due to the fact that he simply has nothing new to add, and that fact is a bit disturbing as it means the Germans have not responded to RB even now..

Now, there was a team in the preliminary planning that threatened to withdraw from the game, and my memory vaguely recalls that that was the Germans. If so, there may be a risk that the Germans are simply not responding to RB out of spite. That may also mean we won't get a response, as the two teams that would get the blame for the "slow" start would be RB and us for discussing nitpicking details. This may be theorizing on high level plots (and I'm pretty adept at that it seems :lol:), but I thought I'd mention it for the sake of safety.

18. Caledorn

Caledorn Emperor

The latest response from RB just ticked in, funnily enough.

Link

I'd say Spanish Apolyton is at 6, and not at 9 as RB suggests, but other than that their "drawing" looks more or less just like what we already know I believe?

19. Bowsling

Bowsling Deity

1,000 posts! :clap:

You are right. I think that SPAP is 6, as you said, and UCiv is in fact 9. That puts CivFr to our west in 7.

20. talonschild

talonschild Drive-By NESer

Time will tell. Their horizontal projection does make more sense than our vertical ones from earlier. The question of how y-wrap works for this map is intriguing...