Foreign Policy: RealmsBeyond

Good job, Cal. And I must say the most convenient outcome of this long-long diplomatic dance. BTW, it all links/fits with our thinking/prognosis about what are they aiming at and what we should ask for. We should go on and accept that "spices right now and stone t106 for sure and maybe even t105" offer. For us (if we decide quick that we will push for The Pyramids for sure and we find that Teras is the best possible spot for them, need to make research, as I have 1 other possibility in my mind to check), it will not even slow things. It will cost us in hammers the equivalent of some 1 or 2 axes lost due to not having stone right from this turn, so it is absolutely acceptable.

Wait what turn are we on now, 100?

What turn were we wanting to start working on stone wonders?

We could respond with something like:

Scooter and Realms Beyond,

We are sorry to hear that you would not be happy if we settled on the spot 1W of the rice. We originally had another location in mind. This was the location we told you about many turns ago when you ask what our settling plans were. We were happy to tell you our plans when asked because we believe that good communications is the touchstone of all productive relationships.

So when we first learned about your city south of the oasis after it was founded we were dismayed. Our original settling plans were now untenable and without so much as a note from you beforehand. If you recall our previous correspondence you will note that we attempted to engage you in an active dialougue regarding boundaries. It's unfortunate that you waited until after settling a provocative city (that you knew would nullify our own plans for a very reasonably placed city) that you choose to now have this discussion.

We are now at a crossroads as a team and need to decide which direction we want to head in going forward...[UNFINISHED]
To Be Continued...

We are on turn 103 actually, cav. It seems the turn log is backlogged at the moment. Which brings to mind that we probably need to appoint a turn logger or two soon to relieve some of 2metraninja's work so he doesn't have to do everything by himself :)

Well that does make 105 sound more reasonable for stone.

I would still prefer to get it right now. We can swear that they can have HG. But we want stone now so they will have to pay a few extra hammers so we don't have to with our wonders. Let them know they are actually getting off really easy as there are some at CFC who were even talking about how they have abrogated the current NAP with their unannounced and provocative city.

We are going to settle B1 right?

t105 (or in worst case scenario t106) is great. I only wanted to bring to the team attention that we might want to make it more official. Like the Amazonian style treaty. But then we must decide what is to be included and what we want to agree to. For example - the clauses for telling the other if we know/see someone is arming to attack the other? Or do we want a clause for not arming other nations which we know have hostile intentions? Or espionage spending - we dont have clause for that with our current proposal.

First of all to Caledorn and 2metra... Well done, you guys are f-ing bosses!:yeah:

Second, to cavscout, really impressive getting the team to push harder... your instincts were dead on.

I would take you three with me into a Cold War negotiation any day of the week.

I really think that we must pull the trigger and accept this deal. We got everything we want, they get what they want, there really is no downside save the vanity of two turn which they could just stall anyway. The whole point was to NOT mention their aggressive settlement so we can cash that in later. To bring it up now to get stone 2 turns earlier seems... I'm not quite sure how to say it, but let's not do it.

As for the official treaty, I share your concerns 2metra, but at some point we have to give people some credit for keeping their word on its face. One thing I would like, is to have the promise exchanged by email as Caledorn has said that email is what Scooter considers binding.

Can we accept the deal now with a simple quick email asking for confirmation?

I can come with an official version of this treaty to be signed. My only concern is they might see it as additional things we want to push forward with the NAP deal.

Coming in minutes with the text of the agreement, and then we can decide if we send it like this or keep it informal.

I think we just send them this email:
Hi Scooter,

Letting you know that the team is on board with the last arrangement we talked about.

So as soon as you confirm, we have NAP to t175, and you guys are gifting us a Spice for the whole NAP, as well as Stone on t105-106 (hopefully t105) for the whole NAP, you guys promise not to build Mids, we promise not to build HG.

Caledorn

Section 1. Members of the RB-CFC treaty

1.1. Team Realms Beyond

1.2. Team Civfanatics

Section 2. Pact Duration and Terms

2.1. The pact cannot be canceled before the beginning of turn 175.

2.2. The members of this pact cannot enter in to agreements with third parties which interfere to any of its clauses.

2.3. The pact is bind with adhering to all of its clauses as a whole.

Section 3. Non Aggression

3.1. The members agree to not conduct actions which will lead to declaration of war between the members of this pact while this pact is in effect.

Section 4. Open Borders

4.1. Both members agree to maintain an Open Borders treaty to facilitate trade and unit movement for the length of this pact.

Section 5. Resources

5.1. Realms Beyond agrees to gift Spices happy resource to Civfanatics starting from the turn this treaty is signed and keep providing it for free for the length of this pact.

5.2. Realms Beyond agrees to gift Stone strategic resource to Civfanatics starting from turn in which Hanging Gardens are built or from fixed date turn 106 - whichever occurs first and keep providing it for free for the length of this pact.

5.3 Both teams agree to offer first dibs to newly acquired/unused resources to the other team for appropriate price (happy resource for happy resource or for a price of 2 gpt per city count of the team receiving the resource)

Section 6. Espionage

6.1. Both members agree to not spend/gain espionage points against the other.

Section 7. Temporary Exceptions

7.1. Temporary exceptions can be made to the terms of the pact with the express agreement of both members. This is meant to allow either member to react to unforeseen circumstances or circumstances outside of their control.

Section 8. Amendments

8.1. A proposed amendment may be submitted by either member.

8.2. A proposed amendment will be adopted upon agreement of both members.

I think this sums up all we want from them and what they will agree to.

Comments?

Please wait to send this until after we send a message accepting the free stone on t105-106

This treaty will take them 2 days legit to read and discuss:(

Plus they will associate it with Team AMAZON, which needs to be fixed. Just lets just send them the email I posted above while we work on the treaty.

I HATE that espionage clause BTW... Why would we promise such a thing?

We can remove it of course. Just I was thinking that whoever have the better economy have the better espionage usually and for the time being this is going to be RB. I would hate to be victim of espionage sabotages, especially if I was the one who fought to have espionage fully enabled.

On the other hand, we are SPI :satan:

Hi Scooter,

Letting you know that the team is on board with the last arrangement we talked about.

So as soon as you confirm, we have NAP to t175, and you guys are gifting us a Spice from this turn for the whole NAP duration, as well as Stone on t105-106 (hopefully t105) for the whole NAP, you guys promise not to build Mids, we promise not to build HG.

Caledorn

Lets send this and continue the game. We lost enough time and efforts with this.

I also agree with sending the short email message that Sommerswerd posted. Very important to get this sent ASAP, so we can get confirmation before the turn flips, so we can finally settle our city.

What a splendid display of succesfully conducted gunboat diplomacy. The gunboat here being a threat of a nasty city placement. IMO, we should send the short message immediately. We should probably add the promise of giving them our first surplus wine to the message though, as we promised it already in the earlier message. Also if we want to get quick approval without any unnecessary reiteration, we could add to the message that if they agree, we wont settle the spot our settler is standing on.

I also agree with sending the short email message that Sommerswerd posted. Very important to get this sent ASAP, so we can get confirmation before the turn flips, so we can finally settle our city.

I agree. Let's get this out soon.

Don't send the Amazonian treaty outline to RB- they'll look at it and roll their eyes.

Again, I agree. But we need to distill that information and put it into another format.

IMO, we should send the short message immediately. We should probably add the promise of giving them our first surplus wine to the message though, as we promised it already in the earlier message.

Scooter told Caledorn that they're getting their own wines online shortly, so they don't want ours. They want our marble, instead (well, the marble that is currently in contested land sitting between us, the Spaniards and UCiv).

I think we've reached consensus that we want to accept the deal of Spice immediately, Stone on T106 (or T105), and NAP to T175, so I am going to go ahead and send the message posted by Sommers.

Edit: Sent. Actually copied 2metra's version into the email. Didn't notice any difference between the two until now. Only difference is that 2metra's clarifies that they start gifting the Spice this turn.

More feedback from scooter/RB:

me: hey! :)

realmsbeyondscooter: hey! ok, I have feedback for you

me: great :)

realmsbeyondscooter: we're largely in agreement with you. i wanted to clarify 2 things first
1) I'm assuming that accepting this and guaranteeing you the stone no later than T106 means you would not settle that location that is very close to our cities, correct?

me: yes
if you provide us with the stone there is no reason why we should settle on that suboptimal location to get it ourselves

realmsbeyondscooter: ok great! thought so, I just thought I would be extra sure :)

me: that's understandable :)

realmsbeyondscooter: 2) when we say NAP, can we safely assume this means nothing aggressive at all, rather than simply no war? By that I mean - harmful spy missions or something like a border culture bomb by either of us would be an issue if we understand the NAP correctly
just clarifying that we're both assuming things like that would be off the table

me: we would actually like to follow up on discussing the details of the nap with you to make sure that we are on the same page with the NAP
my team has been looking at making a more formal treaty agreement that we can both agree to in that regards, so both our teams can feel that our interests are safe from one another
to answer your question though, yes - we would like the NAP to mean the same :)

realmsbeyondscooter: great. yeah, we don't want to be a pain, but I know a lot of people have different interpretations of what would constitute a "NAP Violation"

me: yeah, we feel the same way about that, so we thought having something formal to refer to would be in both our interests to avoid any tensions at all

realmsbeyondscooter: ok that's good! yeah, we would consider harmful spy stuff, cultlure bombs, gifting military to an enemy, etc. stuff like that would not be right for either of us to do
ok cool. are you guys drafting up something more formal along that line or should we do that?

me: this is not binding in any way, and may not be in our suggestion for such a treaty, and I have no idea what you guys think about it .. but how would you feel about exchanging wonder plans as well as those things mentioned too, to avoid tensions with wonder building?

realmsbeyondscooter: that might be a good idea actually. of course I can't commit to that now, but it's something I can bring to my team as an idea

me: great
we're already working on a draft, so I will have it ready for you as soon as we're done working on it :)

realmsbeyondscooter: I can't promise how they'll feel either way, but I think it's definitely worth considering
ok great
ok, so I do have one more proposal for you guys to consider
and obviously I don't expect you to have an answer right away

me: for now any of the mentioned things you have said like no espionage etc can be considered binding (for both of us) until we have agreed to a formal treaty - does that sound okay with you and can you bind your team to that?

realmsbeyondscooter: yes, agreed. we can definitely consider that portion locked in, and we can take our time on some of the finer points. sounds like we want the same thing.

me: great :)

realmsbeyondscooter: so, on the stone gift. T106 is of course a given. T105 will be pretty painful if we give it up then and we would generally prefer not to do it. however, we would be willing to guarantee it on T105 if we can get two things: 1) have the NAP run through T200 rather than T175, just to notch up the commitment length and 2) if you'll settle your border city SE of the rice, which would be a very reasonable border city in our opinion.
also, no pressure whatsoever on this. like I said, we are pretty happy with the terms of your last message. this is just a proposal we thought would be worth considering. and I'm guessing you'll have to take it to your team to talk about

me: I definitely have to talk to the team about 1)
2) I need to check what the settling location is, as it may be that spot we have in mind
if it is, then no problem .. if it isn't then I have to take it to the team obviously
will you be around in 10-15 minutes? I need a cup of coffee before looking at the screens if that's okay? :)

realmsbeyondscooter: we were guessing you would either settle 1S of the rice or 1SE, as those are probably the best two spots. this is kind of a way to indicate our preference for SE. but if you do choose to settle 1S of the rice, we can work with that.
understood. I'm actually about to leave work. I figure I will be back on in about 45 minutes or so if that works?

me: that works wonderfully :) talk to you later then :)

realmsbeyondscooter: ok!

realmsbeyondscooter: Ok I'm back

me: great :) it looks as if the spot we intend to settle is 1S of the rice
I hope that's not going to be a big problem. it's clearly within our hemisphere

realmsbeyondscooter: Ok - to be honest, it's a spot we can live with and we won't complain if you choose to settle it as it's very within your right. However, if we're going to adjust our plans and make a couple sacrifices to get the stone to you on T105 instead of T106, we would definitely ask for you guys to flex it back to SE of the rice.
so if you want to discuss that option with your team that's great. and if it's just not an option, we'll understand.
and we would of course still be good with all other facets of the agreement

me: great
I will mention it to the team and we will discuss it of course

realmsbeyondscooter: fair enough, and thanks!

me: I'll get back to you within a day I expect on this :) it shouldn't be a long discussion
we need to get that city settled soon, and it will be either 1S or 1SE of the rice, as those were our preferred locations

realmsbeyondscooter: ok, sounds great

My thought is waiting until T106 is fine. We don't need to give up those things to get stone one turn earlier.

Top Bottom