Foreign Policy: RealmsBeyond

Can you make a new suggestion for a draft, since it's not a desperate thing anymore, 2metra? I'll rewrite it into "my style". Or should I just use your already proposed draft still?

Yeah, you can use it. As a measure for "desperateness" we would had used the % interest we were going to agree to. Maybe make it a bit careless and sounding as it is not really big big thing, but a nice gesture of goodwill from them.

I think we should send RB a short note on congratulating them on getting the hanging Gardens. Perhaps we could tell them =now they have the best garden in the world and our citizens want to visit it.

How about?
Hi there, Team RB,

As you know we were attacked by the Spaniards. To help us beat them back we would like to have a loan from you of 300 gold. We will start repaying with gpt after the tenth turn from the date of receiving the loan.

Team CFC
Notice I don't mention interest, and I leave out the guilt-line at the end about being good neighbors. I think this sounds less desperate and lets them suggest what interest they want and how much gpt.

@ Classy - From what I have seen/heard, I don't think RB respects or enjoys roleplay. In fact I think they ridicule it somewhat:(

Very, very good message, Sommers. Totally agree with sending it.

I will send it as soon as I'm done with the current task I'm working on. :) Excellent writeup, Sommerswerd!

I've sent the message with some very minor adjustments. :)

So, RB turned down our request for a loan - but provided us with a very interesting tidbit along the way. SpAp has asked them for help to attack us.

Yes, it was expected to refuse us. Just as they said, their plans are already made, so they dont want to ruin their crafted micromanagement just to help us.
Also, from strategic perspective, when you are the leader and 2 others are fighting, your best move is to support the weaker of the combatants so you help keep the status quo.

The info about Spaniards is interesting, yes. Not sure what to think about it beside that Spaniards acted impulsive with our war and they were not good prepared. If they just now try to organize a dogpile on us.

Another interesting thing is the finish of the message: "I hope you guys are OK with that." :)

A short and polite response along the lines of "No problem, we understand your position without any hard feelings. Thank you for taking it into consideration." or similar is in order I think. Too much PHP and SQL in my head right now to make a proper response though, so I'd appreciate some help on the exact wording :)

So, RB turned down our request for a loan - but provided us with a very interesting tidbit along the way. SpAp has asked them for help to attack us.

Oh, so this is completely opposite to what I suspected. Spaniards indeed act strange - I think it is rather unrealistic for them to expect to substantially influence RB's policy.

I'm curious when SpAp asked them and if it wasn't right now shouldn't they have told us about it.

No. We shouldn't confront them about it, especially right now, but does our deal technically demand they tell us? I was just curious.

You are right they have no obligation to tell us. I meant more that since RB volunteered the information that Sp Poly asked them to attack us - there should be no harm in asking them "When?" adding at the same time that we would understand if they prefer not to answer.

But the situation is truly delicate - it seems to me that our vague wink-winking with Poly is different than openly asking somebody to attack their neighbor. On the other hand, if somebody would tell us they are going to attack RB, we would probably not warn them? So perhaps better not to go there and keep guessing.

My guess is that Spaniards do planning in reverse - that is, look for allies only after DoWing. Perhaps I am underestimating them - and they seem to be very nice people btw - but as Aivoturso rightly observed, so far they have displayed very little cunning...

Top Bottom