1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Foreign Policy: Spanish Apolyton

Discussion in 'Team CivFanatics' started by talonschild, Jul 29, 2012.

1. talonschild

talonschild Drive-By NESer

This thread is to archive dealings with Spanish Apolyton. Any information we have on them and also our current attitudes and relations.

Spanish Apolyton (Boudica - Zulu)
    Leader Traits: Aggressive and Charismatic
    Unique Unit: Impi
    Unique Building: Ikhanda

Starting Techs: Agriculture and Hunting
    Starting Unit: Scout

Current Status: Unmet, neutral

Should be contacted in Spanish - Spanish speakers: YossarianLives, others?
    Have little faith in other sites to keep agreements, hard to gain trust.

2. YossarianLives

YossarianLives Deity

Bienvenidos a nuestros nuevos companeros! Estamos muy feliz y orgullosos que eligieron a juntar a nuestro equipo. Nos encanto jugar con ustedes. Ustedes realmente son un grupo muy chidos y divertidos. Esperamos que tengamos mas chances de jugar juntos en el futuro.

Hay algunos momentos en cuando decimos cosas contra su equipo, especialmente despues que declararon la guerra contra nuestro equipo. Pero esperamos que ustedes no se enojan con nosotros. Los chistes no eran con mal intencion. Si tienen alguna pregunta para nosotros acerca algo que hicimos o dijimos, preguntanos y les damos la mejor respuesta que podemos.

...English...

Welcome to our new companions! We are very happy and proud that you chose to join our team. We loved playing with you. You really are a very cool and fun group :sheep:. We hope to have more chances to play together in the future :D.

There were some moments when we said things about your team, especially when things got emotional after you declared war on our team, that may be unpleasant for you to read. We decided not to edit the thread, as it is a historical evidence how we felt at that time ;) We hope that you will not take it personal and that we will be able to laugh together about our difficult past soon! :D Welcome again and please let us know if you have any questions.

Original Post:

I'm just bringing this discussion into this thread to make it easier to refer back to in the future.

3. Aivoturso

Aivoturso King

These are some very good observations. Couple of comments on these points:
    • If the Spanish team regards us and RB the major players, changes are they might want to ally with one to beat the other. If we meet them roughly at the same time, I believe we should be able to convince them to join us rather than RB.
    • Communicating with them in Spanish is way to go.
    • I believe Caledorn is right, we should keep to the point with these guys. No sense in sugarcoating the message or using long words.

As background info it'd be nice to know whether the majority of Spanish community is from Spain or Latin America. Did you spot anything on that Yossarian? At the very least this info would give us a good idea when to expect the guys to be online.

BTW, I find this "Americans" quite hilarious as AFAIK about half our team members reside in Europe :D Though, if we count just by country, I guess most members come from the United States.

4. Caledorn

Caledorn Emperor

Their team captains are from South America - at least Magno is, and thus I assume manolo is too. :)

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

5. YossarianLives

YossarianLives Deity

The majority of their team (at least those who were posting in their sign-up thread) were Spaniards, with a few South Americans, iirc.

That's actually probably just my poor and US-centric translation. They were using the term "Guiris" or "Giris", which is slang in Spain for foreigners. I was at a wedding in Spain this spring where the bride was American, and that was the term the locals used to refer to all of us on her side.

I should also point out that, after writing my observations, it occurred to me that they were probably grouping Poly in with us too, since those are probably the Guiris they interact with the most.

6. Arkipeller

Arkipeller Ancient of Lore

Magno's nice. I'm playing with him on the double turn test game

7. Bowsling

Bowsling Deity

So we're about to meet these guys - our first non-English contact. I assume you'll be the ambassador here, Yossarian?

8. YossarianLives

YossarianLives Deity

Actually, Caledorn has built a pretty good rapport with their leaders working on the APT Mod and playing in the warm-up game with them, so I think he'll be signing his name on our communications with them. I'm just here to act as interpreter.

So this is the prepared message that has been translated into Spanish:

Are we still good to use this one? What timeframe do we want to use for a NAP?

9. talonschild

Say at least till 100. Maybe 110, 120... They're dangerous early, buy peace.

10. 2metraninja

2metraninja Defender of Nabaxica

Yes, it will be great if we can get a NAP with them. Impis are just "must-rush" unit. Everyone must take them in consideration.

11. 2metraninja

Also, I see the Spaniards are not doing very well in game aspect. What I have saw from Magno in the double-move test game is he was aggressive and made war early, but without much if at all success. Just after this he saw the grand strategic situation and took the right decission to stop hostilities with neighbors and unite them to tackle the biggest threat he saw, which was Filon of CP. But then again he failed at executing the actual fighting and got his armies slaughtered utterly, his ex-allies scattered and lost his whole empire shortly after. I was advising one of his allies, who is good friend of mine IRL and I saw the military tactic situation and have told them what to do, but Magno was insisting on his plan. To me this speaks not very good - to make a mistake by overlooking or just by wrong moment decision is OK, it happens, but then someone to point it out to you and you dont see the wisdom in it and to stick to your initial plan, this speaks for just not understanding the fundamental principles. Yet to his advantage I can say he was brave and undaunted. He never bent a knee before the powerful foe or asked/accepted mercy. Also he took his defeat with dignity, saying just "In the next game" or something like this :)

All this I said to suggest we must get a NAP with them the longest possible. This is another fundamental politics principle I use in civ - those who you can outtech/outgrow are those who you want NAPs with. THose who can outtech/outgrow you in the future, you want to have the opportunity to bring down by war, so generally you dont want NAPs with them.

12. talonschild

So you're saying they're ideal allies if only a tad headstrong, to be kept either at arms length or on a very tight leash. Arms length might be wiser.

13. 2metraninja

Yes, I think they are ideal allies for us. At least in the first third or half of the game. Brave and reckless and having the terrifying AGG Impis as a tool. Out of natural and healthy instinct of self-preservation we must look to be friends with them while the Impis are relevant. Then, given we will be left to develop at peace, I hope we can outtech/outgrow them in the middle of the game and then we can decide what we want to use them for. A war-dog or fodder for our own empire further growth.

All this of course is just speaking at first glance. It may well turns out that Magno =/= Team Spanish. Or that Spanish catch up either by conquering a neighbor while all their other neighbors are in long NAPs with them (they are AGG Zulu after all, so everyone would want a NAP with them). Or their slow start is just this - slow start and they show their potential a bit later. Just as our own team btw :)

14. Aivoturso

Aivoturso King

I support going for NAP fully. Zulu and their Impi are way too close to us for comfort. And even if we get a NAP we desire, let's fortify our nothern border a bit just in case, OK? I think hooking up the copper just jumped up in our priority list quite a bit due to this contact.

15. YossarianLives

YossarianLives Deity

Glad to hear we have support for a long-ish NAP from everyone who has weighed in. Shall we suggest Turn 115 (gives us about 60 turns)? The message also includes a provision that we will renegotiate the NAP 15 turns before the end, which would put us around T100 to discuss an extension. Again, for reference, this is the current message in Spanish:

And this is the English message that was translated:

Spoiler :

If there are any changes, please let me know as soon as possible so that I can work on the translation.

16. Caledorn

Caledorn Emperor

Looks excellent, Yossarian! :) Thank you for doing the translation work :)

17. YossarianLives

YossarianLives Deity

We have made contact, so we can send our message anytime now (the sooner, the better). A draft is ready to go in our mailbox, so unless there are any last minute suggestions, I'll be sending it in an hour or so. Cal, can you PM the Spanish captains to let them know they have mail?

18. Caledorn

Caledorn Emperor

If you send it now, I can do that before I need to sleep. :)

19. YossarianLives

YossarianLives Deity

Sent!

20. Caledorn

Caledorn Emperor

Likewise :) And now.... ZzZzZz ;)