1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Foreign Policy: The Germans

Discussion in 'Team CivFanatics' started by talonschild, Jul 29, 2012.

1. Calis

Calis on time

Tell me, if you want it translated...

2. YossarianLives

YossarianLives Deity

Yes please do

3. 2metraninja

2metraninja Defender of Nabaxica

Is it a good idea one and the same person to be diplomat with two warring teams?

I have no problem with speaking with them though.

4. Calis

Calis on time

Here you are...

5. YossarianLives

YossarianLives Deity

Thanks! I'll send this right now with socralynnek as ambassador.

Edit: Sent!

6. Caledorn

Caledorn Emperor

They have sent us a mail. I'll post a diplolog thread with their message.

7. Caledorn

Caledorn Emperor

Their message to us does not seem to be a response to our message at all, but rather something they've discussed and written up before receiving our message. Still, their message was sent about 6 hours after Yossarian sent our message to them. I'm surprised they don't refer to what we've wrote at all.

8. Aivoturso

Aivoturso King

That message is a bit out of date in other ways as well. They mention WPC only massing armies though the war is already ongoing. I wouldn't read too much into not mentioning our message at all. I bet they just have other things in mind at the moment :ar15::run:

My impression of the message is that they seem to be a cooperative bunch. I especially like that they suggest tech coordination. Discussing upcoming research requires a level of trust no other team has shown so far. I suggest that we'll have warm relations with this team. Though, we might have to pick sides at some point for now I think we can safely continue the discussions without risking our relations with WPC. We should respond somewhat quickly at least to their inquiry about a path around our borders.

9. YossarianLives

YossarianLives Deity

Agreed that this sounds like a friendly, though outdated, message.

Interesting that they refer to us as "the far south", whereas I've been thinking of them as "the far west". I guess either interpretation is valid with our current understanding of the map.

I definitely think we should answer their question about which other teams we've met. We know they met Apolyton at the very least, and that they are already participating in a notification agreement with RB.

This is the second time they've referred to WPC as barbarians (also in the chat with 2metra). We can probably win cheap points with them by following suit, though this might anger WPC if they were to find out. They were obviously aware that war was descending on them, but that didn't prevent them from losing a city on the second turn of the war. Based on the Rival Best Power graph, it looks like WPC took no losses last turn (T70), so I wonder if they lost any units when they actually took the city (T71)?

Landskips? Anyone know what they mean here?

In our message to them, we already said they'll need to go three tiles south to reach a forest. From there, they will go mostly south to stay in protective terrain, and then have a few turns of open tundra while they head west. Once they hit the tundra, do we want to send them to test out potential southern land bridges for us, or just send them straight west on their way to the Spaniards?

Hmm, was this a scripted greeting message? Until this line, it seemed pretty personalized to us. I wonder what they suggested to closer teams (like RB) regarding trade routes?

I think they need to tell us their tech path first before we agree to this. If they share that info with us, then I have no problem reciprocating. It's really too bad the two teams that seem the friendliest, also happen to be at war with each other! For now, I think we want to stay friendly with both teams and see how things play out.

10. YossarianLives

YossarianLives Deity

Here's a picture of my proposed path for their Quechua:

Spoiler :

The orange path will take them through the forest safely. Then I think we should send them along the northern yellow path.

We got WPC's graphs this turn and it doesn't look like they lost any dogs when they took the German city last turn.

11. Maga_R

Maga_R Has quit civ

Definitely sounds like the quick customization of their generic message- it also explains no reference to our letter. It looks like they would make a nice ally - but how long they will be around? :crazyeye:

12. 2metraninja

They may be nice guys to begin with, or they may be desperate to have friends, now when they have such powerful foe?

Lanskip I can guess is somewhat mistranslated for lands (landskape). Someone of our German speakers to comment on that?

Talking bad behind other's backs is generally a bad sign, even if we flattering those who speak to. I think our best position is we show respect for both teams. Their struggle is a fight to life and death, it is nothing personal or ideological involved.

13. Maga_R

Maga_R Has quit civ

That was also my thought - pronounced by a German-speaking person landskip will sound close to landscape

14. socralynnek

socralynnek Civ & Hattrick addict

I agree to that interpretation.

15. talonschild

talonschild Drive-By NESer

Viz. the alliance: I consider them good ally material. I was worried, earlier, because I think the team is very strong. But now that they've been dented, their threat of winning is reduced. If only the ones they were fighting weren't WPC.

16. Maga_R

Maga_R Has quit civ

True. Irrespective, with their first city falling and WPC apparently not using a single unit, alliance with the Germans does not look tempting

17. Maga_R

Maga_R Has quit civ

I wonder what happened? How did WPC know Germans can be safely attacked? Were Germans not able to whip (lack of bronze working?), not knowing technology for good defenders (archery?). I know city that fell was likely size 1, but if they had bw they should be able to whip quickly in nearby city - they knew the attack was coming. No roads to move units quickly?

Do you guys think any more of their city would fall? Somebody said their turn player was panicked, so my hunch is it is not the end

18. 2metraninja

As I said to Yossa, first city fall without resistance is something normal when attacked with surprise. Normal procedure in this case is to fall back in your territory initially and try to gather your forces together and possibly try to stabilize the front. This means you will try to use a natural choke point or a stronghold city (on hill, behind river, having walls or big culture, etc) to try stop the advancing enemies. Then it is a game of numbers - if the defender have good production/many population to be whipped and adequate military technologies, he will at some point destroy the invading army. If the invader have better production/logistics or just huge initial momentum (like having 5 times than the defending armies), then the invaders reach and take the capitol. Usually this is the breaking point. The capital is very important in moral aspect (normally) then usually it is the best city overall, then it is the city with the most culture, which will be connecting the nearby cities with its culture. Once this culture is gone, the advantage of the defenders is gone too - both attackers and defenders move at the same speed, plus the defenders are split in parts and cant group their armies.

I can say the war will be decided by if WPC manages to reach the German capitol and take it.

19. Maga_R

Maga_R Has quit civ

yes, but it was not surprise attack - Germans mentioned in their letter WPC forces gather on their border preparing to war... Perhaps surprise in the sense there was not enough time to move more defenders.

20. YossarianLives

YossarianLives Deity

We should congratulate the Germans on their recent military victories:

Spoiler :

You can see WPC power taking a nosedive while the Great General Lysander is born at the very end of last turn (when only the Germans can play).