1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Foreign Policy: The Germans

Discussion in 'Team CivFanatics' started by talonschild, Jul 29, 2012.

1. cav scout

cav scout The Continuum

It's definitely a reference to this. And of course Chamberlain had egg on his face after Germany invaded Poland.

I read it to mean that they are weary that RB might gobble them up despite assurances that they have peaceful intentions. This is very good as it seems the Germans recognize the RB threat. Of course they could just be telling us what we want to hear because it isn't exactly a secret that we are in contention with RB.

2. 2metraninja

2metraninja Defender of Nabaxica

Makes sense now. Germans earned 2 red points from me for being both diplomatic and seeing things clear and realistically. Too bad they got screwed by WPC. Could have been some great ally material.

3. YossarianLives

YossarianLives Deity

Wow, it's been over two months since we've even discussed diplomacy with the Germans! Time to bump this thread.

RB is going to end their GA in the next few turns. I imagine that we will see their Globe complete very soon, and then their power start to skyrocket once they land Nat and can start drafting and whipping an army. It seems like their most likely target will be the Germans. We should at the very least warn them of this possibility, and maybe start thinking of ways that we can help the Germans slow RB down.

4. 2metraninja

Interesting fact: Germans get Spices and one more happy res from RB. Seemingly for free.

5. YossarianLives

YossarianLives Deity

That is very interesting indeed. I am sure it is not for free. I wonder what that is all about. Land concession? Something else?

If RB is befriending both WPC and the Germans right now, then CP really might be their target. It makes sense for RB to take them out before we can jump in and attack RB's rear...

6. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I'll sit with you

For the record, (in case somebody is subscribed to this thread and not the others), the free Silk and spices RB was giving to Civforum.de (The Germans) was not for free. It was RB's hedge against us stalling on giving them Marble (those guys are great planners, that is for sure).

So RB got Marble from the Germans, obviously to build Taj Mahal.

7. YossarianLives

YossarianLives Deity

Duke finds the WPC-German border

Spoiler :

Notice that Ruff Hi is renamed to Ruff Going on his way out of German lands

8. Caledorn

Caledorn Emperor

LOL @ the comment on the Marble! :D

9. Sommerswerd

That's what spies are for;) Wouldn't it be nice if we had a spy in the area to take out that marble and spoil RB's plan? Wont it be "funny" if someone else sabotages our marble while we are building Taj?

What we need to do... I guess it might be too late at this point, but we need to start thinking (on this low-strategic-resource-map) about getting spies in position to act in these kinds of situations. A couple well placed gold-mine sabotages during a tech race may well be the difference between winning and losing.

10. 2metraninja

Hmm... interesting idea. At first I was going to say we dont have way to use espionage against RB, but the marble is not even in RB lands, it is in Germans.

In this chain of thoughts, couple of HAs in the neutral tundra territory where German marble must have been would have done things not worse :)

11. Sommerswerd

True, but a Spy can do it without us declaring War on them.

12. bistrita

bistrita Warlord

we dont have time to get spy there anyway.

13. Aivoturso

Aivoturso King

Can diplomts ask do CP or WPC have spy around the area? We could bribe them to pillage it.

14. Sommerswerd

Yes, I thought so, but I wanted to point it out for the future.

15. YossarianLives

YossarianLives Deity

Yeah, that's actually a really good thought about the spy. I put the sign up as a joke, not even thinking about how a spy could have done the dirty deed for us.

Too late for this one, but I am seeing the importance of getting a good network of spies out and about. Before this game I would have viewed that as a misuse of limited resources...

16. 2metraninja

We must find a way to ask Germans if they have a NAP with RB and if they dont, to suggest them that we know that all other RB neighbors have such NAPs. If they are smart, they will know what to do.

17. Aivoturso

Aivoturso King

My suggestion:
    I think there is no sense in beating around the bush when we can get both the answer and the required reaction with one upfront message. They might not answer to our message, but they don't really need to. If we see sudden outburst of whipping and German power graph going up after we have sent the message, we have our answer.

18. RegentMan

RegentMan Deity

Looks good to me.

19. YossarianLives

YossarianLives Deity

Yeah, I really like your suggested message Aivo.

20. 2metraninja

Hmmm, I was sure I wrote my comment on it last time. OK, will do again.
    I think Aivo's draft is great. :thumbsup:

I want only added the word "Drafting" somewhere along with "RB" for bigger impact, as we will have most probably only one shot at telling Germans how bad the situation is.