1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Foreign Policy: The Germans

Discussion in 'Team CivFanatics' started by talonschild, Jul 29, 2012.

1. 2metraninja

2metraninja Defender of Nabaxica

Lets send the message already. We need to act quick.

2. Aivoturso

Aivoturso King

Here is a minor revision with adding 2metra's idea of using word "Drafting" and modifying the greeting to match our previous communications:

3. YossarianLives

YossarianLives Deity

That sounds great, let's send it.

4. 2metraninja

Looks great too.

Just few typos (if I am correct on those of course).

5. 2metraninja

Agree we must send it quick.

6. Aivoturso

Aivoturso King

This is just nit picking, but u in neighbours is not really a typo. It is perfectly correct British English, which is the form of the language I first learned. We should be consistent with the form of English we choose, though. So if we use American English in other messages, we should use that in this message as well.

If you add the word "other" before the neighbors, I think that the following sentence becomes irrelevant and a bit clumsy. So I think we should probably remove it. And as a small fix to your fixes, since you change NAPs to plural, remove the particle "a". Here is a version with these modifications:

7. 2metraninja

:) I know about u and British English. Just as "colour" endeavour , etc. I corrected it because Firefox corrects it and also I think that the American way is more common today (Internet, McDonalds, Cartoon Network, etc :) )

Grammar is not my strongest so an exercise can be worth, doesn't it it should reads "As far as we have been able to figure out" instead of "As far as we have been able to figure out"

Anyway, the edited text looks great and its message is pretty clear, lets send it.

8. Caledorn

Caledorn Emperor

I sent this now (with the u added again, as I prefer British English - sorry, 2metra :D)

9. 2metraninja

LOL, did we both sent it? I sent it right now.

10. Caledorn

Caledorn Emperor

:lol: At least they should get the importance of the issue this way! :goodjob:

11. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I'll sit with you

I don't think it matters if we use the British sometimes and American sometimes. I think it shows that we have a diverse body of active contributors... That is if they even notice:) which they probably won't.

I like the British "u" in colour, harbour etc... Funny story follows (I'm looking at you Calis;)...

Spoiler :
    In college I was accused of copying on a paper and brought before the disciplinary board. The accuser was so triumphant in feeling that he had found the "smoking gun" against me. He said that the paper was obviously too fancy and poetic to have been written by someone like me and said to me "How do you spell color?"

"I replied c-o-l-o-u-r" to which he was speechless. I then explained that I knew that this was the Old English version and I preferred it this way when writing my assignments. He said he finds that hard to believe and that surely this is proof that I must have copied the paper from someone else... a Literary Major perhaps (I was a Politics major). I then showed him copies of all the many assignments I had completed over my years of study... all with the word spelled with the "u"... Ha! He just sat down and folded his arms in disgust.:lol:

12. 2metraninja

:) Good story, mate. BTW, what "someone like you" means?

I had similar story. Not much funny for me, but still...

We were having a test and I was the only in the class who knew how to correctly spell "screwdriver" in Bulgarian (there is one "T" which is very easy to miss, as it is even not pronounced most of the time). But it happened that a girl, which was sitting next to me and had reputation for being very strong student wrote it wrong. I saw that and told her it is not correct how she is spelling it. She looked at my test and spelled it correct. At the end it happened that only me and her was spelled that word correct. The teacher looked at us and said who looked from who?

I was taught to be gentleman since very young, but also was taught to not lie and I just said nothing to not accuse the girl. But she said nothing either and since she was with good reputation for being strong student, the teacher was left with the impression it was me who cheated and looked from her test :)

13. Calis

Calis on time

:p

:blush:

14. Caledorn

Caledorn Emperor

I agree. I sometimes omit the u myself, but I greatly prefer to include it. My English teacher in school was a bit nazi when it came to using British English, and gave me red lines under words that were written in American English, so I got so used to the British way of writing the words that I think he mentally programmed me with that way.

Good stories btw, Sommerswerd and 2metraninja. :)

15. Bowsling

Bowsling Deity

British English is the only English. :king: It drives me crazy when Firefox underlines words like neighbour, honour, armour, etc.

Of course, the use of the "u" there was adopted from French during Victorian times, so you could argue that the American spelling is more true English.

16. talonschild

talonschild Drive-By NESer

Because English isn't chock-full of borrowings regardless.

17. Arkipeller

Arkipeller Ancient of Lore

Which language ain't? :rolleyes:

18. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I'll sit with you

Aramaic, Amharic, Hebrew:dunno:? ... Caveman grunts and groans?:lol:

It always makes me laugh when I am playing as England and I click on that Warrior in a fur loinskin that you get at the beginning of the game in 4000BC and he responds in perfect English diction "Reporting for Duty!" :nope: Ha!

19. Caledorn

Caledorn Emperor

So the response is in from Civforum.de as well. I'm not sure what to make of the response - it's pretty dismissive I think..

20. Aivoturso

Aivoturso King

The point was not really to make anything of their response but from their actions. Now we know for sure that they have noticed RB's power increase. If we see no reaction in their power graph, they have a deal with RB (NAP, alliance, coaliton or some such).