Foreign Policy: WePlayCiv

talonschild

Drive-By NESer
This thread is to archive dealings with WPC. Any information we have on them and also our current attitudes and relations.

WePlayCiv (Ragnar - Native America)
Leader Traits: Aggressive and Financial
Unique Unit: Dog Soldier
Unique Building: Totem Pole

Starting Techs: Agriculture and Fishing
Starting Unit: Warrior

Current Status: Unmet, neutral

Messages should involve roleplay

Our intrepid explorer Thunderfall has made it right to the edge of WPC culture and will be making contact next turn! Now is the time to start figuring out what we want to say to them. Do we offer a NAP right away, how long do we want it to be, do we start talking borders, etc.

Also, I see that talonschild wrote that our messages should involve roleplay, so there's that to consider, too.

Just checking here: 2metraninja, you are listed as the Ambassador to WPC. Will you send the initial message to them when we meet them next turn, or should I?

At least, consensus was that roleplay would meet with approval. A NAP would be wise, I believe, to establish a relationship at the very least. We know too little of the world to make enemies. I suspect that they will behave likewise.

Oh, and we ought to be wary of Aggressive Dog Soldiers for the next while, especially if they're less than friendly.

We ought to be very wary of Agg Dog Soldiers. They just finished BW on T42, so they haven't had much time yet to build them, but chops / whips mean they could potentially come off the line pretty quickly. Can we check to see if they're in Slavery once we meet them? If we don't get a friendly response from WPC, I would almost advocate changing the city #3 location to our Copper .

I would mention nothing at all about sharing maps with them. Let them think we came from the Southeast. If they ask us questions about the map, that's different if we think it'll strengthen our friendship, but I see no need whatsoever to bring it up ourselves.

What about asking them who else they know? Do we reveal that we know RB, and where they can be found?

What do we do with our EP's? Maybe this question goes in a different thread, but I wonder what the value is of getting info on WPC vs. not letting RB mass up more EP on us than we have on them. Not putting 100% EP's on WPC will immediately notify them that we know someone else, if they're paying attention. And we should be paying close attention to how they spend their EP's, too.

I think we should be forthright with them and tell them we've met RB, then do 2-and-2 EPs. Best way to avoid any sort of negative speculation on either team.

Let's be forthright with them and tell them that RB has two cities nearly defenseless with a big fat gold mine and they are going to run away with the game unless some team with dog soldiers could somehow stop them ;)

Well RB has shown that they know the key to this game by starting off with a strong commerce focus. All those cottages and that darned gold mine hooked up so early are going to serve as a powerful springboard for them. It won't be long before they start to pull way ahead. Hopefully we won't fall too far behind.

With all that said though- my main reason for wanting to tell WPC where RB is located is so they don't come after us with those dog soldiers! :eek:

These guys are looking to go to war. Whoever they attack first will probably get dragged down and loose the chance to be competitive in this game. We need to do whatever it takes to make sure the WPC hatchet doesn't fall on us. The best way is to become good friends with them. Pointing out a juicier target is another good way.

Let's be forthright with them and tell them that RB has two cities nearly defenseless with a big fat gold mine and they are going to run away with the game unless some team with dog soldiers could somehow stop them ;)
Ha nice and devious!

I don't think we need to be nearly as friendly as we were with RB. Just a "Hey how's it going?" and let them try to start something.

I think the best way to play it is to let them assume we came from the southeast for now. If we get on a good footing with them, then we can reveal our true location, and tell them about the other teams we've met.

I would mention nothing at all about sharing maps with them. Let them think we came from the Southeast. If they ask us questions about the map, that's different if we think it'll strengthen our friendship, but I see no need whatsoever to bring it up ourselves.
:agree: This.
:agree: And this.

I too believe we should let them assume that we are much farther from them than we actually are unless they want to be friendly with us. We can probably achive this with couple of roleplayish sentences e.g:

"Our brave warrior Thunderfall has trekked far and long before reaching your borders. During his travels we met a budding civilization of Realms Beyond who have a wealthy city about nine turns of travel to south west of your borders."

This is our most current boilerplate greeting that I could find. Shall we simply use this as our first message? I think this is pretty good as is, actually. Maybe we can just add a short line about a NAP until turn ____ (75? 100?).

From (Chief Diplomat/Ambassdor), CivFanatic Foreign Minister, Protonotary Domainal, (other honorific to satisfy the rule of threes), to (Rival Team Leader), (honorific or two), greeting.

It pleases our peoples to make your esteemed acquaintance, and we would hope our jubilation echoes in your halls. The prospect of peace and friendship for bothour nations is a most happy one. We inquire as to when we may receive assurances of your similar joyous intent.

The friendship between CivFanatics and (other team) is precious, and we wish to codify it with all due haste.

We look forward to your prompt response.

Whatever we send, I think it should be ready to go as soon as we meet them next turn.

Just checking here: 2metraninja, you are listed as the Ambassador to WPC. Will you send the initial message to them when we meet them next turn, or should I?
I'm here. Will look and post the initial message to WPC tomorrow.

This is our most current boilerplate greeting that I could find. Shall we simply use this as our first message? I think this is pretty good as is, actually. Maybe we can just add a short line about a NAP until turn ____ (75? 100?).
From (Chief Diplomat/Ambassdor), CivFanatic Foreign Minister, Protonotary Domainal, (other honorific to satisfy the rule of threes), to (Rival Team Leader), (honorific or two), greeting.

It pleases our peoples to make your esteemed acquaintance, and we would hope our jubilation echoes in your halls. The prospect of peace and friendship for bothour nations is a most happy one. We inquire as to when we may receive assurances of your similar joyous intent.

The friendship between CivFanatics and (other team) is precious, and we wish to codify it with all due haste.

We look forward to your prompt response.

Whatever we send, I think it should be ready to go as soon as we meet them next turn.
This message sounds a bit odd to me. English is not my first language but I believe e.g. "make your esteemed aquaintance" is a very cumbersome and grammatically suspicious way to put "nice to meet you".

To move the discussion forward, here is a modified version, trying to keep the general over the top pompousness but making the message a bit clearer. I added (in bold) also suggestion about NAP.

Greeting from Foreign Ministry of CivFanatics,

It pleases our people tremendously that our paths finally crossed with the Great Nation of WPC. We hope that our jubilation is echoed in your halls.

Prospect of peace and friendship between our nations fills us with elation. We hope that your people share such thoughts. To begin the path towards mutual trust and understanding we propose a formal Non-Agression Pact. Our proposal is that this pact would last until turn 100 and after that either party can end the agreement by giving 10 turn advance notice to the other.

On behalf of the dominion of CivFanatics,
Great Ambassador 2metraninja

Hmm, WPC logged in twice today before the turn flip, then played T46 20 minutes after it started. I wonder what's going on there. At any rate, since they've already ended turn, they might not log in again for a couple days to see that we've met. Also, they might not be able to react to our warrior moving in, which might make them nervous and more willing to accept a NAP. Any desire to push it up to T150?

Top Bottom