1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Foreign Policy: WePlayCiv

Discussion in 'Team CivFanatics' started by talonschild, Jul 29, 2012.

1. talonschild

talonschild Drive-By NESer

I'd say speediness is excellent. It seems prudent to ask each team as we meet for a NAP. 50 or so turns seems a good point of origin. Discretion of the Ambassador as to the exact details.

Later on, if we're getting strong, we could revisit this principle being automatic. But for now, why would anyone object?

2. 2metraninja

2metraninja Defender of Nabaxica

I will ask for a NAP till turn 100 - nice round number. And in the 50's range. Also once we are at turn 100, Dog SOldiers will be long not big deal. We need only Archery and they are no threat at all.

Will wait few more hours if anyone have anything else to add/comment before loging in to make the contact and send the message.

3. whb

whb King

We only need long enough that they shoot their bolt against another team. At what turn number if we had Dog Soldiers and intended to use them would we be looking to declare war (including moving the stack to the target's borders)?

I'd say maybe add 20 turns to that -- not so long it seems unreasonable, but long enough that they'd be impatient and go after another target instead.

From the sounds of 2metra's post he reckons turn 100 should fit that category (dog soldiers will be close to ineffective by then)

4. YossarianLives

YossarianLives Deity

That sounds great 2metra. The only thing I would add is make sure not to send the message before we actually move up and officially meet them in game.

5. 2metraninja

Isnt it against the rules? ;)

6. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I'll sit with you

As I understand it, we have not actually met them yet in game, so yes it would be against the rules to contact them at this point. :p

And precisely because we havent met them yet in-game, this is a good time for the first contact discussion to happen. If we had already met them in-game and it had been 2 days gone by before we sent a message I would have been raising all holy hell about it. :gripe:

First Contact messages need to go out immediately after we meet a team. As in within a few hours preferably but certainly not more than 24 hours after meeting them in a worst case scenario where we are caught completely with our pants down.

@ cavscout - (As you know I enjoy very much arguing with you but I apologize for 'missing' this latest opportunity as I have just been really too busy;)) This is the paradox of what you are arguing...

[hyperbole] On the one hand you lament and hand-wring and tooth-gnash over the Big Bad superior CE that RB is amassing that will inevitably destroy us and trample everyone in the game, while at the same time never missing an opportunity to point out how weak and poorly defended the RB cities are (as part of some some lame-@ss retrospective rose colored glass attempt at an 'I told you so' :deadhorse:)... but then on the other hand you whine and bray and cluck-cluck-cluck:run: about how we need to go through some long@ss deliberative beaureaucratic process to decide whether we want NAPs automatically with the teams we encounter And here is the irony...

We can't chase down RB's CE if we are preparing for war... Get it?!? It's so simple. That's why RB cities are poorly defended... They are focusing on CE and using NAPs for defense. So To focus on the CE that I know you love, to stay competitive in tech and :science: we NEED NAPs with EVERYONE... Duh! So that's it! NAP automatically with everyone we meet so we can focus on our CE. Get it? Got it? Good... That's why the Diplomat doesent need to freaking focus group with you every time we meet a new team to get your permission to make a 50-100 turn NAP. We NEED them to pursue a peaceful CE....[/hyperbole]

Anyway, as you know, its all love :love:. But seriously, we should get a NAP with everyone we meet, there really doesn't need to be a long discussion about that right?

7. RegentMan

RegentMan Deity

Team discussion is a "longass, deliberative, bureaucratic process?" Really?

No, an auto-NAP is not the answer. Are we going to want a NAP every single time? Probably. However, we should decide that on a case-by-case basis. I don't want to meet a team, sign a 100-turn NAP, and have RB ask us to invade them jointly fifteen turns later. I want to take the opportunity to discuss "Hey, maybe instead of NAPing with Apolyton we should see if RB wants to invade them." Auto-NAPing destroys this.

Please humor my bureaucracy.

8. Aivoturso

Aivoturso King

No, I didn't. Even a NAP with everyone will not allow us to skip building a credible defense. We are playing with teams that we've not played with before. If we had eternal NAPs with every other team in the game and the Great Wall, would you trust that would be inpenetrable defense and build just enough warriors for population control? I wouldn't. Even though our plan is to be honourable I hope we do not presume that all others share the sentiment. I don't want to see the day when we are caught pants down by our "ally" with nothing left to do but whining "But we had a deal! :cry:"

That being said, I agree with the general idea of going for NAPs in the beginning. It is a good general rule. Especially since it seems that every team has a room to grow for a while before eventual conflicts of interests erupt. However, we always should have room for exceptions.

9. 2metraninja

True.

This have reasons too. We are in the beginning of the game. Everyone should have almost equal land and chances. In my opinion the war is a a tool. We use it if we cant get what we want or as good payback by peace means.

I agree too.

10. 2metraninja

This is the last draft I plan on sending to WPC via our gmail and in-game.

Or should I send it via PMs to their captains in their site? Will emphasize we know each-other and we hopefully trust each-other as we play in many games together. But might be way too intrusive and familiar. Also can remind them me and Sommers are at top positions in all the games we play there and might set some sore feelings to some of them?

11. YossarianLives

YossarianLives Deity

The message looks good. I don't think we need to mention provocative settling or land divisions since we really aren't that close to them, but if you think it'll help build trust, I don't see a problem with it.

12. Caledorn

Caledorn Emperor

Very nice, 2metra :) I suggest using our team gmail and send an in-game message to them that they have mail. We don't know if they check their CFC accounts regularly do we?

13. 2metraninja

Yes, we had a "Situation" regarding provocative settling and all the sad consequences with one of their members and Captain Sommers in a recent game :) So I think it will help to state we dont plan on this.

I was planning to send them PMs at weplayciv.com , where they check regular. But maybe it is not a great idea anyway.

Are you gonna be around in the next 2 hours Cal? I need a sleep :crazyeye:, but still I want to be able to check the espionage thing immediately after the turn switches. If it happens that you or Yossa are awake and around and you can do this for me, I am sure I will be sending you few blessings from the office being not totally sleepy the whole day.

I wrote the draft in our gmail, so it only needs to be sent.

I logged in now to set the MM and left only Thunderfall to be moved 9 (NE) to actually make contact with WPC.

Please, send them in-game message saying: "Hey guys, nice to meet you, we are sending you an e-mail."

Last thing is dont forget to set the espionage to WPC once we make contact and before the turn flip.

Will any of you taking take of that for me please?

14. 2metraninja

Going to brush teeth. If no one volunteer to save for me 1 hour of sleep, I will make the contact when I get back and send the messages. Hopefully they wont have opportunity to log in before the turn switch :)

15. 2metraninja

All is done.

Cal, did we decided what will be our message to RB?

16. 2metraninja

This is WPC's capitol btw.

17. Caledorn

Caledorn Emperor

I will respond shortly from my PC

18. Caledorn

Caledorn Emperor

Sounds like a good idea to mention it then. I think you should include it based on this. :)

Using the GMail for diplomacy messages is the tidiest way I think. It gives everyone on the team access to go and check if they want to, even though I will post all communications in the Log threads for the different teams (unless you and the other Ambassadors want to post them yourselves there of course). :)

I am, and I will get a notification from APTmod when the turn flips. What exactly should I look at in regards to the espionage? How many points they have allocated onto us?

I will send it then :)

According to Civstats you already moved, so I assume you already did that move too. :)

Will do!

All 4 points, yes?

I think we should go with your latest draft, as that looks very good.

19. Caledorn

Caledorn Emperor

Problem...

We received the following (I've cut away most of the message, because it's a bounce message) from WPC's mail:

Edit: I am logging into the game and sending them an ingame message to notify them of this problem there. 2metra, you might want to send them the message via PM on the WPC boards after all, or at least get in touch with them to get a proper working email we can contact them on. :)

Edit2: I have sent a polite "Hey there :) The email we've tried to contact you on was bounced with the following error message <copy/paste of the last 2 lines of the error above>" to them ingame.

20. 2metraninja

Sent PM to 4 of their members over at WPC.