1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

forest planting

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by murewa, Jun 30, 2002.

1. murewa

murewa Warlord

how about forest planting? does it help curb global warming? or am I wasting my workers 'time'?

you'll have to admit though that it is a good 'world beatification' project to undertake.:)

2. slothman

slothman Emperor

I don't think there is any benifit to planting them except to annoy neighbors by changing city tiles and they have a better defence that grassland. They have better shield production that unmined plains but worse that mined and RRed plaines. I try to minimize the forest cutting just because I like ecology even though it doesn't do anything.

3. Hawkster

Hawkster sorcerer

If you have spare workers and tiles doing nothing you could plant a forest then leave it until later when you are trying to build something - chop down the forset and get the 10 shield bonus to speed your production.

As for global warming effects - as far as I know nobody has ever said that it has any effect.

4. Dark Sheer

Dark Sheer Deity

Forest planting helps in icy places. ;)

If you play on large map with lots of corruption, then planting forest and cut them down (once) helps build those first temple/library that will secure your cultural border on the icy waste for domination. :D

Otherwise Forest contributes to more pollution since they generate more shield. I know this is crazy but don't look at me, ask FIRAXIS. They choose to do the same thing for SMAC. :lol:

5. LionQ

LionQ Noble

Forest don't help to prevent the Global Warming Effect. And instead of helping, they're producing more pollution, because they produce more shields. It's very crazy.

6. LionQ

LionQ Noble

Well, I try to maximize the forest cutting just because I dislike ecology. :D

7. MadScot

MadScot Brandy's back!

in the recent patches, planting, harvesting, replanting, harvesting, does NOTHING. The 10 shield forest harvest is a one time deal - don't waste your time.

Pollution is caused by pollution causing improvements (e.g. coal plant, factory) or by excess city population. (over 12)
    These are reduced by recycling and mass transit, respectively.

Number of shields has NOTHING to do with pollution - you can have a 50 shield city at pop 12 without factory etc and there will be NO pollution.

The only extremely indirect connection is a forest may build a factory faster - but that is extremely tenuous.

8. superslug

superslug Still hatin' on Khan Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

MadScot is right about the shields from forest harvesting, it only works once per game, per tile.

9. alva848

alva848 nothing on my mind!!!

Actually, it's once per age :)

Also forests the AI build can be shopped with bonus too.

Not that it matters much though, it's hardly a viable strategy...still it can save you a few (rushed) gold in very corrpt cities.

10. Yndy

Yndy Emperor

Alva848 it’s the first time I hear this. I think you are wrong. It’s once regardless of age. The trick is that you can plant and chop every grassland, plain and tundra once so this may add up to a lot of production if you have the time and workers to do that.

If you consider that planting forests on an irrigated square in a town with a factory increases pollution, which is correct but a little stretched,
    You should also consider that by planting forests all over the unused tiles and all over the tundra increases the possibility of pollution hitting those tiles and destroying the forest instead of turning your precious tiles into desert. That’s also a long shot but since you mentioned the first one…

11. LionQ

LionQ Noble

This is the first time I hear this. Since I'm still playing 1.07f I can replant and clear forests as many times as I want, so that will increase the production of very corrupt cities.

You might be wondering why I'm playing 1.07f, so before I will get stormed with questions, I'll answer it immediately: I have some problems with the game on the newer versions, so I don't install/download those patches. But don't worry, I'll soon buy PtW, so that will make that I have the newest version.

12. Astares

Astares Chieftain

Sometimes I use forest planting both for the strategic defence bonus on borders for fortified troops but also sometimes as speed bumps for units with more then one movement.

And sometimes when I have a too many workers and too much time on my hands, I'll just make lots of pretty patterns with the trees :)

13. RX2000

RX2000 Prince

I only like forests on tundra squares. Mined grassland gives 2/2 food shields after railroads, and forest only gives 1/2, so I always cut down all my forests after I get railroads. :)

14. LionQ

LionQ Noble

I'm always buildings Fortresses and I want 2 Forests per city, so I Plant Forest on the Squares where there is a Fort. Then I get an extra DefenseCombatBonus. That's good...

15. Zouave

Zouave Crusader

For those of us who still have some small interest in realism, the mass cutting down of all forests and tropical rainforests, as in Civ 3, would, in fact, have a disasterous effect on global climate. It is as unrealistic as, say, Culture Flipping. The planting of forests should help with the climate and Global Warming.

But don't look for logic here.

16. DaveMcW

DaveMcW Deity

17. Allemand

Allemand Chief

I agree there should be some further benefit to planting forests.

However, trying to coordinate cutting them down to take advantage of shields, well, that takes too much effort (read, micromanagement) to be a strong strategy.

18. LionQ

LionQ Noble

You're right, it's one of the minor, not that important, strategies.