1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Forested Calendar Luxuries

Discussion in 'General Balance' started by Rhys DeAnno, Apr 7, 2019.

1. doublex55

doublex55 Chieftain

Yes but then you get tobacco as your secondary luxury and cry because you don’t work it a single time for the entire game.

2. CrazyG

CrazyG Warlord

The 10% culture monopoly is so constantly overrated.I believe that monopolies are done at a city level, which means that a city needs 10 culture before the monopoly does anything. What's important here is if you have 4 cities, each with 6 culture, the monopoly gives 0 extra culture.

If you have 7 tiles with +2 culture, you are getting +14. To get to +14 culture with 10%, you will almost certainly need a lot more than just 140 culture.

Culture is earned from bonus yields really often, which your +10% won't affect. The 10% is actually rather situational, civs with progress or authority can struggle to get anything from it. It works ok with tradition, and civs like Brazil can get big value from it, but I'd say that +2 culture per turn is vastly superior in the majority of cases.
    You could plant a great person on it. Crying over 1 tile seems a big extreme, don't you think.

The tobacco monopoly's faith is not only powerful for getting a religion and faith purchasing, it means your cities generate drastically more pressure than your neighbors cities will.

Bromar1 likes this.
  3. Bromar1

Bromar1 Chieftain

Faith tiles produce pressure? Or is it based on total faith produced in the city?

4. Rekk

Rekk Chieftain

Total faith produced by the city.

CrazyG likes this.
  5. tu_79

tu_79 Warlord

That's intended. Otherwise, this would be overpowered.

6. amateurgamer88

amateurgamer88 Chieftain

Would it be OP? Let's look at the scenario that seems to happen in most of my games.

We'll say that 2 copies of Spices are close to the capital, one is within the borders and one requires the border to expand. After exploring our surroundings, it's obvious that I need 2 more cities to ensure that I have sufficient (5 copies) Spices for monopoly. For the 3 other copies, 1 is outside my secondary cities' borders so I need a Monument to grow its border or buy that tile.

With 2 extra cities, that's 14% more :c5culture: Culture needed for policies. In order to get this monopoly, I will already need more :c5culture: Culture for policies so their impact will be diminished already. Then, there's the question of a Worker. Let's say that we only need Calendar to improve Spices regardless if it's Forest of Jungle. How many Workers will we have at that point? 1 Worker is likely the case and improving all 5 copies of Spices with 1 Worker takes time. By the time all those Spices are improved, will they actually shave off that many turns off my policies? Sure, they allow me to ignore Monument in my secondary cities but that is only viable if I improved all 5 copies. Yes, they do give me an extra 10 :c5culture: Culture per turn that isn't to be overlooked. If I plan on settling more than 3 cities, the costs will rise further. If I don't, will this propel me so ahead in policies that the AIs can't catch up to me anymore except Poland?

Now, why don't I get more Workers to connect them faster then? For me, it's standard to go for Monument first and then Shrine. After that, I can go for a Worker to improve the Spices around my capital. Afterwards? I need the extra cities to get the monopoly so I need two Settlers and we all know that Settlers take quite awhile. Monument>Shrine>Worker takes about the same amount of time as getting Pottery, Wheel and Calendar. Going for 2 Settlers takes additional time and I'll certainly need some military units to fight Barbarians or they'll pillage my improved spices and terrorize my cities. The free Worker from Progress is nice and shave off some turns. Even then, will those extra turns make a massive difference? I can see this being strong but I'm struggling to see this being OP.

_________

Currently, what I dislike the most is the techs we need to unlock. Pearls and Whales need Fishing while Amber and Lapis need Construction. Why does Silk, Spices and Citrus need me to finish Calendar and Bronze Working, 2 techs at different sections of the tech tree? If I'm going for an early Spearmen rush to eliminate a neighbor, then I have no problems as this will work for me. If I want to play peacefully, I feel like I'm getting penalized for a bad roll. If I want to get my monopoly as soon as possible, I need to get techs that don't even unlock any Classical era techs for me. Is that really worth it for resources like Citrus and Silk that don't get the sort of love like Spices when it comes to buildings (Garden and Amphitheater vs Market)?

7. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

Most things are tracked at the decimal level. Are you sure the decimal is truly rounded down in this case? .5 culture is still .5 culture if its added to the final culture score.

8. CrazyG

CrazyG Warlord

I'm pretty sure that culture and faith are not tracked at a decimal level. Science, production, food and gold are.

9. Rekk

Rekk Chieftain

Without getting @Gazebo to confirm, you could get the 10% monopoly and check border growth for decimals.

10. Gazebo

Gazebo Lord of the Community Patch

This is akkurat.

G