1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Forgo victory for revenge?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by contempted, Feb 25, 2012.

1. contempted

contempted Chieftain

Ghengis khan attacked me twice early in the game for what I considered to be no reason. After the second peace he alienated everyone else. I then attacked him. I got UN sec general and had the alliance set up to win diplomatic, but was tempted to forgo in order to continue taking his cities out of revenge for his attacking me when I was weak. I went ahead and got my diplomatic victory, but I sure was tempted to keep the game going. Am I taking this game to seriously?

On another note from another post. Someone told me that to disable the cultural victory option is taking away the AIs only chance of victory, is this true? It seems to me AI can win space, and whats to stop on e of them from winning diplomatic or conquest?

2. strijder20

strijder20 Wallowing in irony

Genghis Khan and company surely are annoying buggers. Learn to use them to your good, by bribing them into wars with good techers/opponents of you.

Culture victory is indeed the only victory the AIs really 'go' for. They can 'stumble' on diplomatic or domination, but they won't actively pursue it (so if an AI has 40%/50% of the land area, they won't declare on someone just because they are close to victory).
    Space victory is the victory they 'stumble' more easily on, because all AIs keep teching until the tech tree is finished. They will also randomly start building apollo/spaceship parts in their cities, but won't divert all resources into the space race.

3. zig_zac

zig_zac Chieftain

I think pricing winning over fun is taking a game seriously. Foregoing a win for revenge sounds to me like having fun. I think many people just play their own style, instead of seeking the most efficient way to win.

This game is designed for fun - leaders you can play as, or you like, wonders you can build, leading your own nation, etc. If somebody is interested just in pure chance calculation and brain twisting there is one great game called chess. it's pretty cheap, yet well balanced and with deep gameplay. Big online community also.

I, for example, would never consider revenge war a fun. Yet I price space race victory above every other way. And I bet everybody has some quirks like that.

4. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

Business before pleasure.

This means I will not jeopardize my winning attempt (Because then they will have succeeded in me sinking to their level) but it won't stop me from delaying my victory for a dozen turns so I can raze and nuke most of his cities into ash. :D

There's always "one more turn..." after you win too.

And yea, the AI accidentally wins most of these. It only knows how to go for culture. Games against the AI that disable culture/space are pretty meaningless since you have an opponent that literally doesn't know how to win.

5. Zx Zero Zx

Zx Zero Zx Chieftain

You can always wait another turn after you win.

6. RD-BH

RD-BH Human

Hmm ...
    ... You are playing a machine,
    ... I can't see "revenge" being useful,
    ... unless you are role-playing your civilization,
    ... in which case,
    ... GO GET 'EM!!!

7. Turquoiside

Turquoiside Chieftain

I should have known; after seeing one or two AIs start wars they ended another when they got mildly close to the threshold began to think they did try for that one.

This. The game feels incomplete if I haven't arranged some small or large show of retribution for a civ that wronged me when I was weak.

8. Manco Capac

Manco Capac Friday,13 June,I Collapse

You are right on the fact they remain idle even though close to dom victory, but I think I have seen an AI rejecting any form of bribing off a war giving this reason:
    "We'd rather win instead!" .
    In other words, close to domination, once RNG favors them to DoW on someone, they actively work to get the domination as much luck helps them to make their war abilities effective. ;)

Rare behaviour usuallly in the highest levels of difficulty I guess because the AI sucks less thanks to all the positive handicaps.

9. babar

babar Chieftain

I've seen "We'd rather win instead!" quite often when playing OCC. It seems to me that AIs do become very aggressive once they pass a certain land/power threshold. However they can still only attack civs that don't pass their normal diplo relations check, so their domination attempt will stall if they run out of targets.