1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Formula 1 2012

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by Formaldehyde, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Formaldehyde

Formaldehyde Both Fair And Balanced

Let the pre-season speculation begin!

Looks like some great sandbagging by the leading teams, and low-fuel stints on soft tires for some of the drivers of the also-rans...

And Bernie is doing his best to do some pre-season rabble rousing:

Formula 1: Hamilton Could be Turfed Out by McLaren Says Bernie Ecclestone

2. Takhisis

Takhisis Would-be overnight hero

I think we can safely count out Toro Rosso and Caterham for the championship.

Ah, and phirst.

3. Formaldehyde

McLaren, Schumi fastest in Australia practice session 1:

http://paddocktalk.com/news/html/story-185425.html

Welcome back to the Iceman!

The cars are certainly going to take a lot of getting used to. Someone took their ugly sticks to all but one constructor with the new rule that requires lower noses to protect from driver compartment intrusions in case of T-bones.

4. Takhisis

Apparently my formerly attractive Presidentess of the Argentine people wants F1 to be back to Argentina from 2013 onwards. Any chance of that happening?

5. Formaldehyde

How much money does she have to bribe Bernie? From a logistical perspective it shouldn't be a big deal given the Brazilian GP, other than perhaps extending the season too far.

6. Formaldehyde

Well here it is. Qualifying for the first race of the season:

Hamilton
    Button
    Grosjean
    Schumacher
    Vettel
    Webber
    Rosberg
    Maldonado
    Hulkenberg
    Ricciardo

Alonso 12th
    Massa 14th

The big shocker has to be Grosjean in the Lotus. It is the first time Lotus has been in the top 3 since 1988...

7. rugbyLEAGUEfan

rugbyLEAGUEfan Chieftain

Fantastic qualifying session . Please please please let this be a portent of things to come this season .

On another matter , I'm sure the "top 20 drivers in history" thing has been done to death , but the BBC does this kind of thing better than most . It will be completed over the course of the season . Hopefully Sir Jack gets his rightful place near the pointy end .
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/17299158

8. Formaldehyde

Their first pick for the #20 slot is Jochen Rindt:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/17319968

Rindt was killed in a crash during practice for the Italian GP in 1970 that led to him being the first posthumous champion. It was the final straw for friend Jackie Stewart which prompted him to demand huge improvements in safety measures.

9. Takhisis

It's not bribery when you pay Bernie, it's a completely legal fee.

10. Formaldehyde

Seeing that King Bernie isn't even directly involved anymore, I think there is reason to suspect that everything which occurs quite possibly isn't completely above board. If nothing else it is always a good idea to be in his good graces, just as it is with any other extremely powerful bureaucrat.

But getting back to more mundane issues, grats to Jenson Button.

Button
    Vettel
    Hamilton
    Webber
    Alonso
    Kobayashi
    Raikkonen
    Perez
    Ricciardo
    Di Resta
    Vergne
    Rosberg
    Maldonado
    Glock

Everybody else retired.

This has the makings for a great season. There are at least 6 teams which have a shot at legitimately winning races.

11. Dell19

Dell19 Take a break

Mercedes race pace was pretty disappointing although never got to see what Schumacher's pace would have been like as the tires wore down.

Watched the race on the BBC and I'm not convinced by the replacement for Brundle which puts me off watching and since it was highlights it didn't seem to flow quite right.

12. Formaldehyde

Schumi didn't complain about that but Rosberg and Ross Brawn did:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/98153

13. Darth_Pugwash

Darth_Pugwash wobble wobble

So frequently the winner of the first race goes on to win the championship - good omen for Jenson Button? I think Red Bull will be more competitive in Malaysia though.

14. Dell19

Dell19 Take a break

Only a week has gone by so I would expect McLaren to have a similar advantage although Vettel still finished second in the last race so they aren't that far behind.

Will be interesting to see how Massa does as his performance in Australia was poor and last season wasn't exactly great for him either.

15. classical_hero

classical_hero In whom I trust

So who performed best out of all the drivers?

16. Darth_Pugwash

Darth_Pugwash wobble wobble

Massa will be out of Ferrari at the end of the year IMHO, kind of a shame but yeah his performances in the last season or two haven't been great at all.

17. Formaldehyde

The difference in qualifying was fairly substantial though. And during the restart after the FCY, Button created another lead without any real difficulty. I'm really surprised that Vettel beat Hamilton. Apparently, he got really hurt by the last FCY.

And poor Filipe. He just doesn't seem to be the same since his accident. Ferrari seeming to be really struggling at this stage doesn't help matters. I think Alonso finishing where he did was despite the car.

I think it is clear that it was Button's race. He had a superb start and managed to gap everybody at all the critical times. Kobayashi had another spectacular race and Raikkonen even showed that he can't be counted out after screwing up qualifying. Schumacher and Rosberg also showed they have the potential to be spoilers. I expect both of them to be on a few podiums this year if Mercedes can get their act together. And Vettel showed why he has been the champion the last two years.

I think Massa needs to show that he can run with Alonso. If he doesn't it may very well be his last year with Ferrari.

I also think that Webber needs to finally figure out how to do F1 starts. I really don't see how he can continue to screw that pooch so much without any repercussions. He clearly has a lot of talent, but giving up 4-6 positions with so many starts must be driving the Red Bull management crazy.

18. Dell19

Dell19 Take a break

Yeah the safety car and Hamilton having to do an extra lap on the first run helped Vettel but he wasn't that far behind and Hamilton and Button are more likely to take points off each other than Webber off of Vettel.

Mercedes did a similar thing last season where they would be quick in qualifying and at the start of races so I get the impression that they are going to have the same problem this season as well although they are closer to the other teams this year.

19. Formaldehyde

Schumacher in particular is far more competitive this year. I think the new car is much more to his liking and he likely had far more input to its development.

20. Formaldehyde

Another great and exciting qualifying session.

http://www.paddocktalk.com/news/html/story-186229.html

The Kimster joined Grosjean in the top 10 which shows that Lotus is a force to be reckoned with this year. Massa almost didn't get out of Q1. He had to use a set of soft tires to do so but eventually got within .3 of Alonso during Q2. Unfortunately, it wasn't quite fast enough to make Q3.