1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Formula 1 2014

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by Formaldehyde, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Formaldehyde

Formaldehyde Both Fair And Balanced

That was an epic qualifying session. I loved how the crowd cheered when Vettel didn't make the third part.

Speaking of which, Red Bull has seemingly made a 30 minute propaganda piece disguised as a "documentary" about what a great guy Vettel is to try to do something about the negative reaction from many fans. It appeared on US TV immediately before the second practice session.

2. Lord_Iggy

Lord_Iggy Tsesk'ihe

That's the rainy conditions for you. My guess is that it let the Renaults, who tend to have less power, to show off. Power's less important than aero in the rain.

3. Lord_Iggy

Lord_Iggy Tsesk'ihe

Spectacular result to the race! Exciting from start to finish from P2 onwards.

4. vincentz

vincentz Programmer

Was it a bird? Was it a plane? Was it superman? No, it was mini mag (Kevin Magnussen, 21) stepping up on the podium as the FIRST danish ever, in the FIRST Grand Prix in the season, in the FIRST F1 race he drives.
    Guess I'm a little bit more danish today than usual :D

5. Lord_Iggy

Lord_Iggy Tsesk'ihe

Well you've got every right to be extraordinarily happy for Magnussen! I anticipate a lot more Danish posters in this thread for the 2014 season. ;)

6. Formaldehyde

What an extraordinary podium! Both Ricciardo and Magnusen showed why they deserve those seats. And Nico had an absolutely brilliant race. He just ran away from the rest of the field.

Ron Dennis has just showed what a great racing manager he really is. I doubt he will soon give up personal control of McLaren racing again.

And so much for Red Bull being that far behind. It also highlights that equipment failures are going to likely play a major role this season.

But I think the star of the race was actually Valtteri Bottas. If he hadn't had a gearbox change and hit the wall, he would have been right up there vying for a podium finish. That is absolutely incredible for Williams. It also means that Filipe Massa has at least a chance to perhaps get the championship he richly deserves. Wouldn't that be something?

I also think someone can make a fortune creating a gizmo that attaches to your TV. It would replace the obnoxious noise that F1 cars now make with sounds of what they used to be like.

7. Lord_Iggy

Lord_Iggy Tsesk'ihe

I don't mind the noise. It's less of a high pitched V8 roar, and not at all like the V10 banshee scream, but it's a cool throaty growl with a high pitched whine (from the turbo, I think).

8. Lord_Iggy

Lord_Iggy Tsesk'ihe

This could be bad for Ricciardo. :(

9. Sian

Sian Emperor

sounds like RB engineers either screwed up big, or tried cheating ... not quite sure which one i find more likely (althrough ... Hanlon's Razor and all that, incompetence is more likely than malice).

Sad for Ricciardo through, specially since i heard somewhere that he commented surprise about how much better the car were than he excepted from previous rides.

10. JohannaK

JohannaK Heroically Clueless

So I heard he's been disqualified for that? It's a real shame. :(

11. Formaldehyde

The rules are the rules. I don't see how the team thought they could get away with cheating given that they knew it was being measured by the FIA, so that doesn't seem to make much sense.

But Christian Horner is blaming a faulty FIA sensor:

It will be interesting to see if Horner does appeal and what occurs if he does. But it does sound like he has a good case if what he is publicly stating is true. The teams also monitor fuel flow and will have all the data to show what it actually was versus exactly how much gas was still in the tank.

12. Sian

Sian Emperor

... Its the first i've heard about anyone calling the sensors out as inaccurate (which was another thing he said), and given that Red Bull is known as aiming at going within an inch of the rules, i'm leaning towards that they 'honestly' overstepped the line, and are now whining that they, 1. were cought, and 2. That FIA have said beforehand that they're going to rule hard on the issue, and does so.

13. Dell19

Dell19 Take a break

Its odd that no other team has had issues with the sensors although its odd that they were asked to use the first sensor rather than being given a third one.

It was an entertaining race although ideally the rest of the field would be closer to the Mercedes as at the moment they seem to have a huge advantage.

14. Lord_Iggy

Lord_Iggy Tsesk'ihe

It looks pretty bad for Red Bull. They were given a lot of opportunities to sort out their issues, and didn't take them. I feel really bad for Dan, but Forma's right- rules are rules.

Official Statement.

15. Lord_Iggy

Lord_Iggy Tsesk'ihe

Alright, Qualifying in Malaysia begins in 90 minutes! McLaren's run into some sensor problems which have taken them out of Free Practice 3... hopefully they'll be able to get everything straightened out so they can set times in Quali.

16. Thorgalaeg

Thorgalaeg Deity

F1 engine sounds:

Link to video.

V12 (celestial music)>>>V10>V8>>>>>>>>>>>>>>V6 this one being absolutely pathetic. Thankfully we can barely heard it.

17. Formaldehyde

Felipe Massa is becoming my favorite driver. What is behind him is not important.

Link to video.

And how about Nico Hulkenberg coming in 4th? I wonder if Ferrari is having second thoughts yet. He even picked #27 as his car number...

18. Lord_Iggy

Lord_Iggy Tsesk'ihe

Fifth, actually, Alonso got past him in the last few laps. And yup, he does have the Gilles number. :D

19. Dell19

Dell19 Take a break

Yeah it wouldn't be a huge surprise if Raikonnen ends up only spending one season back at Ferrari and that Hulkenberg takes his place. There is a long way to go though to the end of the season and so far we haven't really seen what Perez can do in the same car. Also it seems like Ferrari is built around Alonso so whoever is the number two driver is likely to struggle.

Its a bit worrying just how spread out the top 10 were at the end of the race.

20. Lord_Iggy

Lord_Iggy Tsesk'ihe

Discounting the Mercedes, I think it's a really interesting race further back. Red Bull, McLaren, Ferrari, Williams and Force India are all making respectable showings- at least one driver from each of these teams has been represented in the top seven finishers of each race so far this season. The big challenge will be closing the gap to the frontrunners. If Mercedes has reliability problems, we could see a very interesting progression of this championship... and if not, the Rosberg vs. Hamilton battle could be very interesting indeed.