1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Fort / Airport / Harbor tile improvements?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by mattpilot, Aug 9, 2010.

1. mattpilot

mattpilot Warlord

Do we know yet if there will be seperate airport and harbor tile improvements for workers to build, or will the fort be the all-in-one improvement again (or will it even allow the basing of aircraft outside of cities at all?)?

2. Ahriman

Ahriman Tyrant

There is a Harbor city building, so its unlikely to be a separate improvement.

3. AriochIV

AriochIV Analyst

From the aircraft descriptions, it looks like they can only be based in cities and Carriers, not Forts this time.

4. Mercade

Mercade the Counsellor

The airport hasn't been confirmed as city building, and there's also no mention of an airstrip improvement outside the city. Given the scarcity of land with the UPT, I doubt there'll be an airstrip (Civ3 improvement, if I recall) and air units can only be based in cities and on aircraft carriers.

5. Theon

Theon Chieftain

This probably means airlifting and extra late game traderoutes are out aswell then :/

6. mattpilot

mattpilot Warlord

:(

Well thar be hope some skilled modder will miss those things as much as i will

7. Brawndo

Brawndo Warlord

I will be disappointed if there is not an Airbase tile improvement. In the US at least, air forces are not based out of cities, rather there are air force bases that cover an entire region.

Airbases could have a limited number of aircraft they can handle, say 3, and they could be capturable by enemy troops to land their own planes. Without this tile improvement and limited aircraft range, how else will you cover advancing troops in hostile inland territory?

8. AriochIV

AriochIV Analyst

By capturing cities.

9. Hamil

Hamil Chieftain

The main problem will be, that you wont own land, that isnt a citytile, unlike in Civ IV. So you would have to sacrifice one tile or be able to build the airport on a tile not belonging to your empire.

10. mattpilot

mattpilot Warlord

hmm.. i dunno

I'm a minimalist when it comes to cities. I space them far apart and often have unworked land. Perhaps that wont be the case in Civ5 with the 3 tile radius, but i've seen screenshots where cities are spaced far enough apart where there is infact unused land. Plus, you really think you'll be able to work every single tile in a 3tile-radius city? That be some mega cities! :)

But even if not, we have the same conundrum with the fort (i assume you can still build forts, no?). You give up bonus-improvements on a strategic tile so you can better defend your land. Why not the same with (military) airport & harbor improvements? I suppose one could add a +1 gold per tile per improvement if worked to give it some kind of 'bonus', but meh... There would also be the extra 'upkeep' cost just as we have with roads - They could also add a -1 unhappiness cost to the civ (hey, who wants loud airports in their backyard? ;)). That would also add to the decision making process...

11. 12agnar0k

12agnar0k Emperor

We have a full list of buildings / tile improvements that were in the preview build. Harbour is a building that gives a trade route to the capital & +25% prod of naval ships.
    Airport is niether a building nor a tile improvement, Harbour is not a tile improvement either.

12. MrWashington

MrWashington Court Jester

Does anyone know if forts can function as canals like in BtS?

13. TheGoldenMan

TheGoldenMan Chieftain

Btw airport and harbor improvements are very logical. You can damage/capture a runway to disable or even steal enemy aircrafts, and the same with harbor.

But I guess its to much for micromanagement and contradicts main Civ design.

14. mattpilot

mattpilot Warlord

Comon.... this would be the first Civ without an airport - either improvement or city building. We can't have that :eek: :crazyeye: :lol:

I'd be happy with a general "Military installation" worker-built tile improvement (instead of seperate airport / harbor ) that would allow both airplanes to be stationed there and allow for a naval units to enter & heal faster if on the coast.

How does the land unit transport-transition mechanic even work? Can a landunit just hop from a land tile to a water tile and convert to transports or do they have to be in a city (hopefully)? If so, this would also be a perfect example of why we need harbor-tile improvements where units can make the transition instead of only in cities :goodjob:

15. stealth_nsk

stealth_nsk Deity

It don't need a city - that would be a pain with 1UPT. See other threads regarding this.