Fortification, alert and healing

Sporally

Prince
Haven't ever really found out about this, since there's no obvious way to check it.

I've read that when you use fortification you get a 20 % bonus after 1 turn and 40 % bonus after 2 turns. Since the AI's turn is after your turn does that mean they are up against a unit with 20 % defence bonus of they attack just after you finished your turn, or do you need to have the unit fortified for one entire turn to get the bonus (your turn, AI turn, your turn, +20 % bonus, AI turn)?

Anyways, the reason for this thread was actually to get information on fortification, alert and healing. Do you get the same bonus of you are on alert or if you heal? I mean if I'm on alert for several turns and an AI stops next to me, I click again on alert and he attacks me - do I get the bonus? And what about the same question of I'm healing?

I think it recalculates at the beginning of your turn. At least that's how healing works

Haven't ever really found out about this, since there's no obvious way to check it.

I've read that when you use fortification you get a 20 % bonus after 1 turn and 40 % bonus after 2 turns. Since the AI's turn is after your turn does that mean they are up against a unit with 20 % defence bonus of they attack just after you finished your turn, or do you need to have the unit fortified for one entire turn to get the bonus (your turn, AI turn, your turn, +20 % bonus, AI turn)?

Anyways, the reason for this thread was actually to get information on fortification, alert and healing. Do you get the same bonus of you are on alert or if you heal? I mean if I'm on alert for several turns and an AI stops next to me, I click again on alert and he attacks me - do I get the bonus? And what about the same question of I'm healing?

The fortification bonus applies immediately, but only if the unit has performed no actions during that turn.

Alert only gives the 20% bonus, not the 40% one on the second turn. Fortify until healed is the exact same thing as fortify, barring the pop-up when healed.

As long as the unit you're putting on alert hasn't performed an action, the 20% bonus will apply. Waiting, fortifying, and being on alert will all heal the unit, provided it hasn't performed an action.

The fortification bonus applies immediately, but only if the unit has made no moves during that turn.

What happens if your unit has more moves than the maximum moves for that unit (I'm thinking of Denmark here)? Do you get to move your unit and still get the fortify bonus? There is also the pillage without movement bonus for some units, so in this case do you get to pillage fortify and get the 20% bonus, what if you interrupt a fortification to pillage then fortify again, will you keep a 40% bonus or lose it?

Alert only gives the 20% bonus, not the 40% one on the second turn. Fortify until healed is the exact same thing as fortify, barring the pop-up when healed.

As long as the unit you're putting on alert hasn't moved, the 20% bonus will apply. Waiting, fortifying, and being on alert will all heal the unit, provided it hasn't moved.

Wait, alert never gives the 40% bonus? That is really bad, I usually set the units on alert to heal near a barb camp so I won't forget about them.

What happens if your unit has more moves than the maximum moves for that unit (I'm thinking of Denmark here)? Do you get to move your unit and still get the fortify bonus? There is also the pillage without movement bonus for some units, so in this case do you get to pillage fortify and get the 20% bonus, what if you interrupt a fortification to pillage then fortify again, will you keep a 40% bonus or lose it?

Moving will always disable the fortifying boost, but free pillage will not, because it does not cost an action.

There is also the pillage without movement bonus for some units, so in this case do you get to pillage fortify and get the 20% bonus, what if you interrupt a fortification to pillage then fortify again, will you keep a 40% bonus or lose it?

When the unit has free pillaging, it will be able to gain +20% defense in the same turn, even if it was previously at +40%. All other units will not gain the bonus until the next turn.

Wait, alert never gives the 40% bonus? That is really bad, I usually set the units on alert to heal near a barb camp so I won't forget about them.

Probably still the best course of action, unless you're checking up on them frequently. Units will gladly get murdered without notifying you, while fortified.

This is the worst thing Civ 5 changed from Civ 4.

In Civ 5, when you alert, you'll never get 40% bonus if there's enemy there.

When you fortify until healed, you can get killed without notification.

When you alert and there's no enemy, you tend to forget you have a unit.

When you want to just fortify for ONE TURN, you choose do nothing and you get NO def bonus at all.

In Vanilla, this was worse. If you alert you won't get healed. You do nothing you won't get healed.

So my workaround is to chose whatever i want (alert or fortify) then press do nothing. The unit gets healed and fortified for only one turn.

In Civ4 this system was perfect. You skip turn, you automatically get def bonus and get healed. You skip turn twice, your def bonus doubled and still get healed.

Why would they change what's already perfect?

I did not know that free pillage did not interfere with fortifying. Often, that is a dilemma.

In Civ 5, when you alert, you'll never get 40% bonus if there's enemy there.

If when the unit is alerted, if you then pick fortify (from the multi-choice drop-down) you get the 40% bonus. The downside is then you need to remember to wake the unit at some point.

When you want to just fortify for ONE TURN, you choose do nothing and you get NO def bonus at all.

I don't think that is correct. I think you still get the 20% bonus. You will notice melee units sometimes have the circle replaced with a shield, even though you did not tell them to alert or fortify the previous turn.

I agree with you that I remember the system in Civ4 being better.

If when the unit is alerted, if you then pick fortify (from the multi-choice drop-down) you get the 40% bonus. The downside is then you need to remember to wake the unit at some point.

Yes that is the point. People tend to forget.

I don't think that is correct. I think you still get the 20% bonus. You will notice melee units sometimes have the circle replaced with a shield, even though you did not tell them to alert or fortify the previous turn.

I agree with you that I remember the system in Civ4 being better.

No. Still circle, and receive bigger damage. I just tried :)
That's why i said there's a workaround, press fortify then press do nothing.

I think it recalculates at the beginning of your turn. At least that's how healing works
Healing doesn't recalculate at the beginning of your turn. It recalculates at the end of your turn - that's why when estimating if you will survice an attack you should always at the 10 health that you will gain.

Probably still the best course of action, unless you're checking up on them frequently. Units will gladly get murdered without notifying you, while fortified.
Don't you get a notification when a fortified unit gets killed? Not sure that is correct - or maybe I misunderstand you.

Don't you get a notification when a fortified unit gets killed?

Well, yes, but it is a little late at that point! What you want is a notification when a fortified unit first comes under attack. You don’t want the notification every turn (since a melee unit fortifying on the front line is fine). But a scout healing after running away from barbs should generate an alert if it (again) comes under attack.

Indeed, however I rarely experience that as a problem for myself. I think I usually am aware of my units under attack. But I could surely see a benefit from such a notification.

Top Bottom