Fortresses

Do you have a screenshot of succesful use of them in multiplayer ...
Seems like misallocation of resources. I do build them myself sometimes, mostly in choke points when I can't spare a GG.

I cannot currently access steam!

Check thommys game against core min 59+

or builders game against Theofanous min 35+

i havent watched builder's vid yet but tommynt and Core used citadels, not fortresses. im not sure if that's what Maxym meant with his question. i was assuming fortresses.

Yes fortress, I think we all know how to use a GG. I can't believe tommys opponent used his GG first to build an undefended citadel. I did learn somthing though you can't plant one on oasis as Tommy frantically found out. I saw their opening moves of that vid b4. Pretty cool cutthroat. Got to start playing mp I guess. Although it seems it's all a CB slugfest.

I saw 2nd one now too and it looks like he should counter with a GG plant of his own, on grass NE of the citadel and grab himself two citadels in one go. Question is can he defend them?

Looks like he did it the hard way taking them out one by one and saving the GG. Cool ;)

Yes fortress, I think we all know how to use a GG. I can't believe tommys opponent used his GG first to build an undefended citadel. I did learn somthing though you can't plant one on oasis as Tommy frantically found out. I saw their opening moves of that vid b4. Pretty cool cutthroat. Got to start playing mp I guess. Although it seems it's all a CB slugfest.

i liked Core's city placement that ruined tommy's settler placement got a 'NICE!' from him in chat. that was an interesting duel for sure.

when i play archipelagos and there are random one tile islands around my border, and i've settled for a while and dont play any more conquest, ill build fortresses on them and stick either cannons or gatling guns...

I only build them when i have nothing else do build in that tile.

So on tundra tiles, or desert tiles.

Or if i have huge cultural borders i'll build them.

Or yes, to destroy wheat farms on puppets.

I believe the defensive bonus goes to whatever unit is in the tile, right?
So if your enemy gets bunkered in there then it's tougher to take them out.

Doesn't apply for enemy units!
And here is the image:

Fortresses are only built in two circumstances:

1. playing tall in the mid/late game as insurance on your borders, past where you can access the tiles anyways.
2. forming a circle around citadels to create a nearly impenetrable defense.

On 2: This reduces the great benefit of citadels dealing damage to adjacent enemy units.
A strategy I recently employed successfully was using 3 fortresses to close a gap in my 4th ring, placing ranged units on the fortresses, and sticking a great general under a melee unit in front of the middle fortress. When the war I knew was coming with Alexander came, I planted the great general. The melee unit fortified in the citadel backed up by 3 ranged units in fortresses repelled every unit Alex sent.

Forgot to mention: If you can afford the maintenance, always build roads on fortresses and then a road from your fortress network connecting to your cities. The roads under the fortresses allow you to shuffle units as needed and usually fire ranged units in the same turn they move.

1. A few fortresses in neutral territory (if possible, I can't remember) and use it as a base for future operations. It can also be built in potential invasion paths to allow the build up of defenses.
2. A line of fortresses allows weaker units to stand their ground against stronger ones.
3. Surrounding a city with citadels and fortresses for an impressive last stand.

Doesn't apply for enemy units!
And here is the image:

I would place a GG SE of ur citadel and take it away from you, hit LKs with range to make sure on turn start citadels will finish them off and then drive mounted units through the gap to pick apart your crossbows and bows. Assuming tech parity.

Otherwise I would stay on defensive investing my resources and gold in getting tech edge as it seems you have poured lots of gold and hammers into a defensive line that won't hold up to artillery. So beeline 3 range arty or work on getting range crossbows.

Do you have a save at this point? I would love to try breaking that line with frontal assault.

Alternatively build a navy and land amphibious force north of Berlin and make those LKs abandon the line.

Oh, I should have added - I don't actually build the things, just start them for a turn to destroy the wheat. Then they carry straight on spamming trading posts.

I didn't know that, thanks. I've always wondered what to do about those puppet fields.

Well, I lost all my civ files! But um, the Greek player only has archers and warriors, so he's not so good!

Well, I lost all my civ files! But um, the Greek player only has archers and warriors, so he's not so good!

I thought so, in that case why do you build the line instead of pressing your advantage and take him out?

Don't get me wrong, I see use in fortresses but I found situations in which they are very useful infrequent, and the examples of long Maginot type defensive lines a misallocation of resources.

Well, I didn't attack because we made an agreement that he'd be on offensive this time because I wanted to test my defensive plans. And also, I can't do sieges until the musketman, it's a mental block!

sometimes drop 1 or2 to aid defence/hold a sneak attack if i'm not wanting to attack someone for a while. A fortified choke point can make for a good slaughter ground

Top Bottom