1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

forts, airbases, musketman, serfdom and other useless stuff

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Nicol.Bolas, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Doshin

Doshin jolly yellow giant

2. jarhead_leif

jarhead_leif Civ2ToT Modder

Cultural pressure? :confused:
    Else you can't build improvements on other territories. And using enemy forts is useless.

3. Yudishtira

Yudishtira Spiritual/Creative

Yes cultural pressure. More often it's the other way round:p, but I have had times when my culture has reached adjacent to the neighbour's city. And often that's the 'end' city, where the 'flank' of your expansion meets theirs, so it's the natural place to start an invasion.

4. Nick Carpathia

Nick Carpathia Unleash the HAARP

Oracling Metal Casting and choking someone's seafood means Triremes are pretty damn nasty in MP.

5. rfcfanatic

rfcfanatic Mercantilist

I think that airships are only good as scouts. But as an air attack unit they are less than mediocre. You can only have 4 of them per city, they don't do collateral and the maximum damage they do to an enemy unit is only 25%. If the enemy has 14 riflemen in a city, several of them with CG promotions, these airships won't help your rifles and cannons much.

I'd add some more:

* paratroopers
    * marines

They are gunpowder units that come later than infantry which has 25% against gunpowder units. Amphibious that marines have doesn't help much against infantry in one-tile island cities.

6. Sun_TzU154

Sun_TzU154 Chieftain

I've used forts as air bases and even tact Nuke bases. The are also pretty good in earth 18civs for creating the Panama and/or Suez canals.

7. Ghpstage

Ghpstage Deity

The point is to take the top health off defenders, and with their immense range its extremely easy to concentrate 8+ airships to attack a city. With airship support cavalry wars can continue into the Rifling years.
    They are also particularly useful for naval battles where collateral doesn't exist till considerably later.
    :cringe:
    Paras are part of the games ultimate finishing combo along with tactical nukes, transports and subs..... they are far from useless. Just use nukes to empty cities of defenders, paradrop next to them and stroll in.

8. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

You've got to be kidding me lol.

Airships have enough range that you can consistently get 8 on a city. Weakening their highest CG troops with airships has a marked effect on survival rate and on top of that lets you see a massive area around the afflicted troops.

Paratroopers are the best nuke follow-up in the game, able to walk into nuked cities 5 tiles away. They also follow up well after gunships if you go that route and are plenty good in an air superiority strategy (and once again faster than most units, if not all).

Marines are, for cost, the best amphibious attacker in their era on a consistent basis. Yes, they come later than infantry, but have higher base str, are better on defense on average, and are much better at attacking from the water at 0-9 xp. On many continents style maps and all water maps all you need to do is snipe coastal cities and chain vassals.

Yes, if you can build oracle while opposition realize you went for those techs (timing, demo changes, religion founded, etc), build triremes while avoiding land assaults, and sail over to an enemy that has seafood. A lot of ifs, but it would be nasty if the stars align for it. Of course, a lot of the time the guy getting oracle gets a "nasty" choke himself in this situation or has nobody worth blockading nearby.

9. Drakarska

Drakarska Epic Dadness

Same here, especially if I play as Inca. They're great for staging areas for hitting the Carib or coming up thru Florida.

10. digitalcraft

digitalcraft Warlord

Archers what are they for

11. rfcfanatic

rfcfanatic Mercantilist

Sorry, I didn't know anything about using paratroopers as nuke follow-ups when I was ranting about them.

12. gunslinger6792

gunslinger6792 Warlord

I recently used forts to house bombers on the outer range of my borders to get a bit more range. worked pretty well I was able to get 6 extra spaces of range. Other than that though forts are pretty useless.

13. Nials

Nials Prince

What do you do when you lack Copper, Iron or Horses? Even then, Archers can be more efficient defenders.

14. Nicol.Bolas

Nicol.Bolas Prince

and after you do all of this, you realize triremes cant blockade, and galleys can

(i noticed this in noble club ragnar archipelago game)

15. Nicol.Bolas

Nicol.Bolas Prince

16. Rusty Edge

Rusty Edge Deity

I use them to defend my cities and hilltop metal mines.

In a game where I have no metal or ponies close, I use archers to take a city that has them from my neighbor.

Sometimes I use archers as fogbusters on wooded hilltops, depending on barb pressure.

17. Quintillus

Quintillus Archiving Civ3 Content Supporter

Fight with Warriors! They get a city defensive bonus, and are cheap!

Actually, I'd probably focus on exploration and expansion to secure some. And if I couldn't get any, then go for Longbows and a longbow rush. With Archers as defenders in the mean time.

18. traius

traius His own worst enemy

triremes CAN blockade. I was pretty sure you could, and then I went and checked. And you CAN. Caravels CANNOT though, so perhaps you confused the two ships?

19. Nicol.Bolas

Nicol.Bolas Prince

that is possible.... it was a game with a lot of naval, even early naval invasion, and something about these 3 ships surprised me

20. MilesBeyond

MilesBeyond Prince

Makes sense that Caravels can't blockade, considering how they ignore cultural borders and just sail where they please, lol

Serfdom is not only a pretty useless civic, but one that competes against two incredibly powerful civics (Slavery and Caste System), and both of those will often end up being replaced by Emancipation anyway (to avoid :( problems). So... Why would anyone ever use Serfdom? A few mods have balanced it out a bit. I believe K-Mod has it give bonus tile yields to farms.

As far as I'm concerned, Musketmen only exist for those poor suckers who either couldn't get their hands on any resources, or lost what resources they had. However, Musket UUs are pretty good. Musketeers are excellent in conjunction with Cuirs (they're basically the Mech Infantry of the Renaissance) and the Oromo, well...

I wonder if Oromo benefits from PRO at all? I doubt it, but if PRO were to mean they started with Drill III, then Churchill of the Ethiopians would be something to see...

Forts and Airships have both been discussed ad nauseum.

There are three units that I never use because they just seem useless:

Cuirassiers
    Trebuchets
    Axemen

HAH! Just kidding. No, for real this time

Ironclads
    Explorers
    Swordsmen

Ironclads should be obvious: Painfully slow and only a couple techs away from Destroyers. Why build these guys? If they were on an earlier tech, they might be viable as like a naval defense ploy, if you're fearing lots of Frigates and Galleons showing up on your doorstep. At least it's better than Civ III, where they had their own unique, dead-end tech (seriously. Did anyone ever actually research that?).

Explorers I guess are kinda useful on Terra, maybe?

With Swordsmen, I just feel like anything they can do, other units can do better. They lose pitifully to Axemen, and they're less mobile than the equal STR Horse Archers. I know they're not useless, but I just find myself rarely ever using them.

Similar to Musketmen, they do have some nice UU variants, though...

You could also lump in "A lot of Modern/Future stuff" as well. I've never used a Stealth Destroyer, for example.