1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Forts Boost, are they useful yet?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by largedarryl, Jul 19, 2007.

1. diablodelmar

diablodelmar no comment

would this work?

wffwffw?

2. UncleJJ

UncleJJ Deity

You need to back a fort up with your own culture or be prepared to remove the enemy culture. You know how to remove enemy culture :trouble:

A fort can be built on a resource outside your cultural boundary but the resource doesn't get connected until you get your culture over the tile. That can be useful in a border area where you want to grab a resource that's outside the fat cross of one of your cities (say 3 tiles away) You need to get the city culture up to 100 (normal speed) to expand your border beyond the fat cross. So build the fort, station an archer in the fort and wait for culture to claim the resource. It's faster and safer than you could do that at present since you could not begin to build the improvement (mine, plantation etc.) until it is inside your culture. The fort counts as a city and makes an archer (+50% city bonus) much tougher.

3. Feet

Feet Warlord

The trade off for forts is that you're sacrificing 1 or 2 cottages\farms in favour of being able to build ships. I won't be connecting all my cities that are land locked but near the coast to the water for this reason. Only the ones where it is strategically important that they be able to control the water near by.

4. UncleJJ

UncleJJ Deity

Your ships can only enter forts that are inside your cultural boundary see here. So there is no problem. The enemy has to be at war with you to be inside your territory and then a ship or aircraft is simply destroyed if the enemy move into the fort tile it's on.

5. UncleJJ

UncleJJ Deity

Landlocked cities will not be able to build ships. They will need direct access to at least one coastal tile or several inland lake tiles (can't remember how many) to build the lighthouse, harbour and ships

6. Feet

Feet Warlord

Oh I see. Still useful, but not as much as I thought.

7. Danielos

Danielos Emperor

Can you build a canal (forts) to a city 1-2 tiles inland, and then produce naval units in that city?