Forts create one tile of culture?

seasnake

Conquistador
Is there a mod, or does anyone know how, you can make it so that if you build a fort and upon it's completion the game will assign the plot you built the fort on one tile of your culture? I'm trying to create an effect where you can build forts outside your borders and it will give you access to a resource.

Jeckel made JFortZoC and Cultural Control (or something like that), which both do what you ask, but neither are updated to 3.19 IIRC.

Is there a mod, or does anyone know how, you can make it so that if you build a fort and upon it's completion the game will assign the plot you built the fort on one tile of your culture? I'm trying to create an effect where you can build forts outside your borders and it will give you access to a resource.
:thumbsup: Yes there is I'm using it in my mod running on v3.19 with no observable performance deterioration, it's basically Jeckel's JCultureControl: Beyond City Borders, I have lost the saved SDK notes on the individual mods to the DLL that I prepared at the time (the C drive died last week and I lost all the data on it [pissed]) but I do still have the complete CvGameCoreDLL files for the mod and I can probably dig the code out this week for you if you like. Or you could modify his work yourself of course, here's the thread http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=283686 it says its for v3.17 but if you go through the whole thread you will see how we got it to work on 3.19, or you could bear with me while I sort it out ;)

:thumbsup: Yes there is I'm using it in my mod running on v3.19 with no observable performance deterioration, it's basically Jeckel's JCultureControl: Beyond City Borders, I have lost the saved SDK notes on the individual mods to the DLL that I prepared at the time (the C drive died last week and I lost all the data on it [pissed]) but I do still have the complete CvGameCoreDLL files for the mod and I can probably dig the code out this week for you if you like. Or you could modify his work yourself of course, here's the thread http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=283686 it says its for v3.17 but if you go through the whole thread you will see how we got it to work on 3.19, or you could bear with me while I sort it out ;)

Yeah, if you could no hurry. I'm just trying to add this one component to my next version of my mod, I want to be able to get to resources without building a city in the sticks.

Yeah, if you could no hurry. I'm just trying to add this one component to my next version of my mod, I want to be able to get to resources without building a city in the sticks.

So I've done as requested. This mod is set to give a Fort's Tile and 8 surrounding Tiles a Culture Border, it can be built outside cultural borders. You can add culture to any improvement if you edit:
CIV4ImprovementInfos.XML file. an example is given(see commented out edit for town)
All edits are marked JCultureControl for easy search.

Please read documentation on how to use this mod.
Let me know of any bugs, (can't promise to fix it but we'd see what could be done)
Please credit Jeckel for the original mod and you could always give me a mention :deal:

Uploaded JCultureControl v2.000 bts3.19 with python files that control AI behaviour: 22/08/2010

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0003.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0003.JPG
    295.1 KB · Views: 164
  • Civ4ScreenShot0004.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0004.JPG
    361.9 KB · Views: 174
  • Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
    362.6 KB · Views: 167
  • JCultureControl v3.19.7z
    2.7 MB · Views: 158
So I've done as requested. This mod is set to give a Fort's Tile and 8 surrounding Tiles a Culture Border, it can be built outside cultural borders. You can add culture to any improvement if you edit:
CIV4ImprovementInfos.XML file. an example is given(see commented out edit for town)
All edits are marked JCultureControl for easy search.

Please read documentation on how to use this mod.
Let me know of any bugs, (can't promise to fix it but we'd see what could be done)
Please credit Jeckel for the original mod and you could always give me a mention :deal:

Will do, and I'll post here as soon as it gets working.

Thanks!

just a suggestion, since forts had a practical purpose LONG ago but now they're more for historical purposes, shouldn't the culture boost come in modern times? Just a thought that occured to me...I wonder if that's feasible to program...

just a suggestion, since forts had a practical purpose LONG ago but now they're more for historical purposes, shouldn't the culture boost come in modern times? Just a thought that occured to me...I wonder if that's feasible to program...

1. I think the improvement fort is not to be confused with the building Castle in cities. A fort in civ4 represents a fortification, which are still very much used today as they were in the stone age.
2. The cultural border in this mod represents a fortifications military control of an area, for opponents to remove it they must capture the fort and destroy it. Because it can be built outside of cultural borders it can be used for example as a base to collect resources, or to stage an invasion from (especially good for Islands outside of an enemies control), or to deny an area to a rival.
3. I don't know. (Its not what I required)

How do these forts with culture interact with bordering cities from other civilizations? Are they considered 0 culture cities for culture flipping purposes?

How do these forts with culture interact with bordering cities from other civilizations? Are they considered 0 culture cities for culture flipping purposes?
Rule 1: Cities Rule the Land
A City's Culture Borders will always override any Improvement's Culture Border.

Rule 1.5: There Are Always Exceptions
The one exception to Rule 1. The Tile an Improvement is on will always keep its Culture Border until it is Pillaged by a Unit.
NB.(In the last screenshot the mouse over (bottom left) shows the culture control of the fort and the forts culture borders outside of the cities borders)

Note: This can be disabled with an option in the GlobalDefinesAlt.xml file.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0007.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0007.JPG
    252 KB · Views: 135
  • Civ4ScreenShot0008.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0008.JPG
    263.4 KB · Views: 168
  • Civ4ScreenShot0009.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0009.JPG
    313.3 KB · Views: 173
1. Does the AI know to specifically pillage forts to get resources on the edge of their cities?
2. Does pillaging forts require declaring war?

This seems like an easy way to exploit the AI and prevent them from ever having copper/iron/ect if 1 is false or 2 is true.

Not sure exactly how the AI handles the JCultureControl Mod or how I will use it, if at all. But.....
1. Does the AI know to specifically pillage forts to get resources on the edge of their cities?
:confused: the Cities culture always over rides that of the forts, once the cities culture covers the resource it belongs to that city. If it doesn't cover the resource its in no man's land and so could not be used by the city.
If you look at the screenshots you will see how a cities culture over rides the fort as it expands, once the fort is inside the cities borders it can do what it wants with it.
2. Does pillaging forts require declaring war?
As far as I am aware not if its inside your borders.

This seems like an easy way to exploit the AI and prevent them from ever having copper/iron/ect if 1 is false or 2 is true.
Impossible I think, it could only be successful in the long term to acquire a resource in a remote area which cannot support a city, as a cities culture would rapidly overcome it. Maybe you could try to hold it temporarily, until you can get a settler out but then it would be a race to see who gets there first. Its possible it might alter the placement of a city, that an AI might make, I will have to test that.

Of course all this depends on how you use the JCultureControl mod. You can give any improvement culture with it, not just forts and you can give as much or as little as you wish. In my mod I give forts 1 square, that is just the square they are on and allow them to be built outside of cultural borders. My theory is that you would then get the Friendly heal change, rather than the neutral. So that they can be used as effective bases on Islands for example but I am still testing it with other improvements to see what the effects are and how the AI might use it, if at all.

It really is up to you how you use it, all I have done is update Jeckel's JCultureControl: Beyond City Borders mod from bts v3.17 to 3.19 and am not an expert on the mod at all (See thread http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=283686 for details.)

I'd been looking for this, for 3.19 for a long time. I've merged this with my own mod and it works perfectly! Thank you so much, Padjur!!!:goodjob:

Top Bottom