Forts vs Settlements

legowarrior

Chieftain
I'm thinking of starting a game with the Kuriotates. I've played them once before in Fall from Heaven 2, with only a little success (I can't every place three good cities). My questions is, after your three cities, when would you build forts to gain influence, and when would you build settlements?

Wierdly, I think it's down to the type of map you're playing on. For me I usually play on the Erebeus map script, so I tend to put my forts on choke points for the very reason there aren't usually many resources in those areas. Settlements I use to pick up resources so that I can aggressively defend them. But with other map types, choke points aren't as prevalent, so my need for forts diminishes somewhat.

In short:
Build Forts at strategic points to prevent rivals entering your inner territories.
Build Settlements to collect resources and defend the resources aggressively if any rivals wander into the area.

In short:
Build Forts at strategic points to prevent rivals entering your inner territories.
Build Settlements to collect resources and defend the resources aggressively if any rivals wander into the area.

Considering fort generates culture I'm not sure the distinction is so clear, is it ?

Forts are kind of a double-edged sword. They're very hard to crack, but if they get captured by an AI stack of doom and were used to get resources, then that is a huge blow as now you've lost them to your rivals, and it may take a while before you get it back. You want them on strategic points to maximize XP gain and make progressively harder to crack the more troops the AI flings at it, but do not use them to collect resources for the Kuriotates just for the possibility of losing control of it.

This is where using Settlements to collect resources over Forts shines, because Settlements in my experience just get razed upon capture which means your rivals won't get the resources. This makes reclaiming the lost resources by replacing the Settlement so much easier and cost effective compared to trying to recapture a Fort.

In 1.3 (maybe a future patch, not sure), settlements will be able to build things, albeit slowly.

In think in Orbis (I didn't play much, just poking around) settlements could build buildings, but only work one ring of tiles. Is it going to be something like that? That would alleviate my mental block when it comes to the Kurios.

Kurios have become one of my favorite races
I don't know if it's what's intended but I land grab heavily with pioneers, laying down a lot of forts often close together and I tend to place a few settlements somewhat near borders to help keep back cultural pressure, because real culture overrides culture control.

Top Bottom