Fortuitous Timing

Crazy Eskimo

Prince
Ever have things work out for your game that you couldn't have planned and couldn't have gone better?

For instance, I'm playing the Americans and decide to do an Archer rush against the Persians (neither of us have Ironworking yet). I'm about to get HBR, so I send three Archers down and supplement them with the Horsemen that were made during their journey.

I had sent them towards Pasaguardea(sp?), the Persians 2nd city and the one closest to me. As I'm approaching, I notice that the city dropped to a 1, while it was a 3 before. "Great" I think "there's another city for me to find and take out". Not so much. I raze Pasaguardea and discover that the settler IS STILL IN THE CITY. Had I attacked earlier, they could have switched production to another spearman and made my life harder, but instead I get an automatic two additional slaves (they also had a worker in the city)!

Later on in the invasion, I've just taken out Susa and my two remaining archers are healing and waiting for the horseman I've sent to reinforce them before finishing the assault on Persepolis. While in transit, my horseman spots a stack of three Persian archers heading my way. If they had immediately cut back to Persepolis, they could have caught my archers and forced a rather unpleasant combat situation (either attacking across a river into a forest or defending with a 1 defense unit). As it was, they decided to go after my horse, who lead them on a merry chase in a circle. He arrived at Persepolis just in time to help my archers take the city. With the Persians gone, the archers disappeared, with nary a shot fired. :D

What about you guys?

I've had an AI city finish the Pyramids the turn before I captured it...

BTW, I just learned that it was "Pasagardae" and not "Paspargadae" a few minutes ago... :crazyeye:

I take all the breaks the game wants to give me as it will surely give you a fair number of bricks.

I often see the AI send out units as I am about to attack the city. I have no idea why it thought it was a good plan to send that unit out an dmake it easier for me to take the city.

On Emperor and lower an early archer rush will often seem fortuitous, because the AI's too concerned with expanding at that point to build much military.

The AI moving all of their workers and military into the city I'm about to nuke 10 times

I was trying an Emperor level game, in an attempt to get comfortable with it and try to move up from Monarch. I reach Philosophy before any of the AI, and get the free tech. I decide to choose Literature, and it gives me a SGL :lol:

What would have been great is if you had gotten a SGL for Philosophy as well as one for Literature. :lol:

I wish. Even getting one is an amazing feat for me.

:rotfl: I just got another great timing in the game I am playing.

My stack of Javs was getting ready to advance on Caesarea, and the Byzantines finish ToA. Then, after I finish that, they complete The Hanging Gardens...in the next city to be conquered :lol:

In my latest game as the English I had an ok starting position, but not enough space to really expand before the other AI took my land from me. (this is on Emperor) I had enough room for maybe 5 cities, so I was diggin in for a long road ahead, but since then I have been really fortunate with quite a few breaks military-wise from the battles. I have taken many a risk, and have yet to have had one plan backfire. I took out the Iroquois without much of a problem, and now am wokring on the Babs, and just spawned a MGL. I am close to Chivalry so I'm waiting to get that, and the it's time to really lay the smackdown. Plus, me being sefaring, I have been able to establish contact with the other civs on the other continent. With this I have been able to keep tech parity easily, and maintain my overflowing coffers with at least 600 gold at all times, usually more. Not to mention the Babs just finished the Great Library, and the Russians built the Pyramids (they're next on my hit list), so I have really been pretty luck so far in this game. I hope my luck doesn't run out yet, as I'm not quite out of the woods so to speak.

A recent game with the Babs went something like this:

my turn- declare war on Arabs, move about 10 knights next to Baghdad (size 7)
IBT - Arabs have built The Great Wall in Baghdad, Arabs have built Hanging Gardens in Mecca
my turn - free walls in all my cities size 6 or less, which includes newly conquered Arab cities

In RoR I've had an SGL on the very first tech i discovered, first as the romans and then later in another game as the persians. This allowed me to change my ToA build to Oracle and while being able to rush ToA.

I had a game I was struggling with. I was running third in techs going into the end of the Middle Ages. I knew the top two ai tech leaders just hit the IA, and so I used all my gold to get all the techs they had to get into the IA. It took just about all my gold, and I had a fair bit at the time. I get Nationalism as my free tech (I was playing Ottomans), and turn right back around and sell Nationalism to the AIs, recouping all my gold back, plus some more and some GPT. I went from struggling to keep up, to winning very easily. That game I learned just how important the Nationalism Slingshot was....it ended up devestating the AI.

SuperBeaverInc. said:
I was trying an Emperor level game, in an attempt to get comfortable with it and try to move up from Monarch. I reach Philosophy before any of the AI, and get the free tech. I decide to choose Literature, and it gives me a SGL :lol:
It happened to me on Deity, just it was not from Philo, but straight Literature. I've never suffered from Wonder addiction, but GL is just too powerful to miss such an opportunity.

In a difficult deity game, second turn of my first war, I have a city with a spearman under attack... and it gave me a leader by defending well the city.

GotM 42 - and this happened to me twice: a few turns before, Thermopylae completed Sistine the turn before i captured it. Same stuff with Athens and Sun Tzu. I was ranked 14th (quite a good result for me!).

Attachments

• LuckyNotRNG.jpg
    LuckyNotRNG.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 167
Game of the month mod, the Immortal is the graphic for vanilla MDI.

Top Bottom